The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hum/buzz when equipment is not plugged in Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 26th November 2016
Lives for gear

Hum/buzz when equipment is not plugged in

I hear hum or buzz in a return from a hardware eq, even when the eq is powered down and unplugged (no 240V input, no audio input)!

I verified it's not the cables or my interface, and all my equipment has a common ground.

How can a unit cause noise when it's not even powered up?
Old 26th November 2016
Lives for gear

UPDATE:

I powered down the unit and removed the power cable. When I short across XLR pins 1 and 3 with a screwdriver, the noise disappears.

I am not an electrical engineer. I will not try this while the unit has power. But does this narrow down the problem?
Old 26th November 2016
Lives for gear

I actually hear this noise coming from all my outboard equipment! But it sounds different in each case. Only one channel of my ELOP makes noise. The Langevin preamp is dead quiet. I'm sorry to be so vague, but this is something I have no experience with.
Old 27th November 2016
Anything with a transformer input is likely to hum until you connect a load to it. That's normal and expected ... an open ended transformer coil is essentially a little radio receiver for hum ...
Old 27th November 2016
For diagnosing hum I sometimes use a single coil guitar pickup and a battery amp, so I can sniff around the room looking for sources of hum. It seemed a bit spooky when I first did this, because I found that non-powered things such as mic stands, keyboard stands etc emanated hum! But I now realise that the EMI fields are very strong in all rooms, unless you build a Faraday Cage, and this is mainly coming from the AC power grid - nothing you can do about it. But steel is about 1000x more permeable to magnetic flux than air - so steel object have this effect of intensifying the hum, and this cause current to flow in the steel and it emanates it's own field. This is exactly what grounding is all about - steel cases are great for diverting this EMI away from your signal. But in some cases, it can cause hum ... sheilding and grounding is a massively complex subject and lots of ways to screw this up, between different equipment and cable makers - the more you can understand how this works the easier it is to diagnose.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search