The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
List #1 hits with weird structure
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

List #1 hits with weird structure

Inspired on the other songwriting thread, could we make a list of songs that have "out of the norm" song structures, that made it to world hit status in the last 10 years ? I say last 10 years because well, radio will not play Bohemian Rhapsody if recorded today. So my suggestion would be to listen to "Holla Back Girl" by Gwen Stefani.
Old 3rd March 2007

I don't know if this counts:

In Your Eyes

It reached #1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks

(and #26 on Billboard Hot 100 in both 1986 and 1987).

Sorry, i just saw the last 10 years requirement. Please ignore me, or delete, if desired.

I totally see you point.

Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Ok --

Maybe not weird structures but intriguing and engaging:

"Safety Dance" - Men Without Hats
"Let the Music Play" - Shannon
"Baby You Got Me" - The Roots featuring Erikah Badu
"Birdhouse in your Soul" - They Might Be Giants
"Cannon Ball" The Breeders
"Eight Miles High" The Byrds

so many great songs exist.. I want to hear as many as possible.
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear Nut

I know it's not in the last ten years, but it is definetly not a prog rock or strange sounding song at all Not sure if it was actually number one, but Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" has a very odd song stucture as far as pop songs go. We all consider it a pop tune and it makes alot of sense as you listen to it but it's not a verse chorus song by any means because we really don't hear the chorus until the end of the song. It's not an AABA song either like more classic pop tracks. I don't think I've ever heard another song arranged the way they did it.
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Under Pressure.

The different verses have completely different melodies from one other. The second half of the song is totally teleological in nature. Amazing stuff for a pop record and especially considering it became such an iconic hit.
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

System of A Down: both BYOB and Chop Suey the songs start with the best hooks right away and then go elsewhere especially the endings

Lisa Loeb: great songs often with a half verse as an ending.

Andy
Old 3rd March 2007

hey, jose, i think you gotta go post at a younger board..

you're getting all us old fogie song titles from like a million years ago...

i thought i'd be the only one..

maybe it's because it's friday night, and all the young sluts are out smokin' crack,
or special k, or meth, or whatever's trendy now..

Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

hey, jose, i think you gotta go post at a younger board..

you're getting all us old fogie song titles from like a million years ago...

i thought i'd be the only one..

maybe it's because it's friday night, and all the young sluts are out smokin' crack,
or special k, or meth, or whatever's trendy now..

haha maybe, it doesn't matter.. there are not many new songs worth mentioning either so it's all cool, still a good subject
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

"What's New Pussycat" is such a cool song; I consider both sections to be choruses rather than verses. Go Burt!
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Say what you will but I think that Gwen Stefani's (The Neptunes), Wind It Up, is quite brilliant for a mainstream pop song.
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear Nut

Imogene Heaps song that is basically all vocoder is pretty impressive. While not redefining song structure it definetely redefines pop production.
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

What about.......................................umm?..................

Or..................................................hmmm...................

Wait! I know! What about..........................no, that's not pop.

Hell I don't think I can name a band that less than 10 years old. tutt on me

I don't get out much.
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

M.I.A. scored a huge clubhit in 2005 with "Bucky Done Gun" although the track has a real strong structure it's definitely different fom the norm.

I dare to say that the two Gwen Stefani tracks listed in this thread are at the very least inspired by this track...
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

come on eileen
99 red balloons
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ101 View Post
"Birdhouse in your Soul" - They Might Be Giants
they don't do ANYTHING normal!!
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

. . . also John Mayer kinda augments sections a little bit. for example, after the bridge in Why Georgia it's almost another verse but he goest slightly off the beaten path. Very cool.

I know not the BIG crazy structured thing you might have been looking for but sometimes just a little change can keep it interesting . . . and sellable
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear Addict

Charlotte Gainsbourg - The Songs That We Sing
(I'm not a structure guy so I might be wrong )
Old 3rd March 2007
Gear Maniac
Funkytown: abcbabc

"How Deep Is Your Love" and "Night Fever" both have unusual and involving structures.
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Well, apologies for this one, it's not a #1 single by any means, but off of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band there's a tune called "Good Morning, Good Morning." It has multiple time signature changes. Really. Try drumming to it. There's a YouTube video with George Martin counting out the various time signatures.

Most amusing.

Cheers.

Old 3rd March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymixer View Post
Imogene Heaps song that is basically all vocoder is pretty impressive. While not redefining song structure it definetely redefines pop production.
gotta have my IH - she's AWESOME.

Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

also . . . maybe 311 "all mixed up" the chorus, if memory serves, only happens once
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

How about #2 on the Modern Rock chart: Linkin Park "In The End" and Three Days Grace "Animal I Have Become" (almost the same song, really).

EDIT: Actually, the Linkin Park was #1 Modern Rock.
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Lisa "Left-eye" Lopes had a song called Block Party. The form is strange..something like abcde abcde..

Kalli
Old 21st April 2007
Gear Addict

Am I losing my eye-sight, or did no one of anyone of sorts mention
"Good Vibrations"?

Someone mentioned the Charlotte Gainsbourg single (which is actually standard pop
structure).

The single off the counterpart album (Air's "Pocket Symphony"), "Once Upon a Time",
probably fits the requirements of this thread; albeit, more of a cohesive, ostinato flowing thing instead of "abcdefghijklmnop".
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

the weirdest, strangest, coolest, and most recent one i can think of, is Augustana's "Boston". there's only 1 true Chorus, and that's it.

they use the Pre-Chorus/Bridge as the repeating hook, which is just a lull, not a barnburner. no middle-8, and the ending outro is strange form too.

whoever did the arrangement on that song knows what's fresh.

oh oops, don't know if it's #1 or not.

========

wanna get good ideas for cool arrangements? study "Siamese Dream" by Pumpkins. songs like "Geek USA", "Mayonaise", "Hummer" have the most creative arrangement i've heard that works so well. should've been #1's.
Old 21st April 2007
Gear Maniac

A little longer than ten years ago, but an outstanding candidate-"Crying" by Roy Orbison.
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

AH - HA

Many Yars ago the Band "AH HA" had a hit song (and video) callled Take Me On or something like that where the kick drum turned off in the chorus....
Very different...
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

...Prince's "When Doves Cry" has no bass track.
Old 21st April 2007
Gear Maniac

Third Eye Blind - "Semi Charmed Life" - very interesting form.
Old 21st April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
...Prince's "When Doves Cry" has no bass track.
and MJ's "Smooth Criminal" has no kick. (or... bass IS the kick?)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search