The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony ECM 50PS Vs. ECM50PSW
Old 19th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Sony ECM 50PS Vs. ECM50PSW

Hi, does anyone know what the difference is between the Sony ECM 50 PS and the Sony ECM 50 PSW? I can't find any information about that online. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-Jack
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Maniac

Bump!
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Maniac

One last bump.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

I am speaking from memory here so I might be spreading inaccurate information, but I believe one allows a battery or phantom and the other only allows phantom. The batteries for these are unobtanium. If I remember when I get to the studio this week I will look at which model designation mine is. Mine allowed a battery or phantom but of course there are no more batteries for them....
Old 3rd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar View Post
I am speaking from memory here so I might be spreading inaccurate information, but I believe one allows a battery or phantom and the other only allows phantom. The batteries for these are unobtanium. If I remember when I get to the studio this week I will look at which model designation mine is. Mine allowed a battery or phantom but of course there are no more batteries for them....
Ok gotcha.
Old 30th March 2018
Here for the gear

Batteries for Sony ESM-50PSW

I have 10 of these mics (for sale), just got them from a liquidation, and they take these batteries: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer...&wl13=&veh=sem

3 bucks for 2 batteries at Wal-Mart...hope that helps!
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar View Post
I'm not sure what the W designated, but the ECM-50PS allowed for both phantom and battery operation:

http://www.coutant.org/sonyscan/ecm-50ps.pdf

Actually, it looks like the ECM-50PSW (silver)/ECM-50PBW (black) had both options as well:

SONY ECM-50PSW Service Manual - PDF File Download

It isn't clear what "W" designated. It appears there was also a "T" variation, but I can't find details on that.

The battery is an N/E90 cell, which, while not super common in consumer electronics, is still widely available. I just got a pack at Walgreens for my ECM-51, which unfortunately does not have a phantom option.
Old 7th June 2018
Gear Addict

I have this version. I think the only difference is the PSW version is for the Windscreen (the small head basket cover) for the mic. I've usually less a few for sale including the Windscreen. Haven't used the cover ever though. Best use of this mic so far was as a hi-hat mic! Really threw everyone for a loop the first time we used it how incredibly good it sounded on the Hat!
Old 7th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstituteOfNoise View Post
I think the only difference is the PSW version is for the Windscreen (the small head basket cover) for the mic.
Do you mean the windscreen is different? Or?

Possibly related (or not), between the two I have and what I've seen online, there were at least 3 different variations of the AD-38 windscreen for the ECM-50 and ECM-51. They all look the same externally, but there are slight differences inside.
Old 24th June 2018
Gear Maniac

A bit more information, I now have an ECM-50 and an ECM-50PS. The ECM-50 only runs on an N/E90 cell, while the ECM-50 runs on either an N/E90 cell or phantom power. Both have the exact same AD-38 windscreen, just like the ECM-51. The battery compartment is a bit larger on the ECM-50PS, and the mic bodies are slightly different as well.

ECM-50:

ECM-50PS:

ECM-50PS on the left, ECM-50 on the right:

More photos of both here:

Sony ECM-50 Microphones | Flickr

I'm still not sure what the W suffix designated.
Old 8th August 2018
Gear Maniac

A bit more on variations. I came across the following:

ECM-50 - Presumably the original model. Battery power (N cell) only. Silver.
ECM-50PS - Adds phantom powering ability. Silver. Both mic body and battery case are slightly larger than ECM-50.
ECM-50PB - Presumably identical to the ECM-50PS, but with a black body.
ECM-50PSW - At the moment I'm unclear how this is any different from the ECM-50PS.
ECM-50PBW - As above, but black*.

ECM-50P - I haven't found any information on this, just photos. It looks the same as the ECM-50PS, but with a female XLR connector.
ECM-50PST - I haven't found any information about this, but presumably it was silver.
ECM-50PBT - I haven't found any information about this, but presumably it was black.

*My ECM-50PBW has noticeably different frequency response from my ECM-50 and ECM-50PS mics. However, I'm not sure if that was intentional, or is just a fluke. For example, according to the service manuals, the ECM-50 and ECM-51 used the same capsule, but the capsules in my mics sound very different, which makes me think there were either manufacturing variations or the capsules can age differently.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

ECM-50PST - I haven't found any information about this, but presumably it was silver.
ECM-50PBT - I haven't found any information about this, but presumably it was black.

Correct about the colour of these ( I have one of each . The T designates that it is T powered)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search