The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vanguard audio labs v13
Old 15th November 2016
Gear Nut

Vanguard audio labs v13

I've been looking to take a step up out of low end microphones for the first time, and while browsing I came across the Vanguard Audio Lab V13 tube mic. There are only two videos and just a few "reviews" on this microphone. Its been out for several months now, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with it.
Old 21st November 2016
Gear Nut

I love mine. Stacks up really well against much more expensive mics.
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Nut

I pulled the trigger since it was on sale for $630 with free shipping. All of my studio gear is being shipped to my new home, so I havent tried it yet, but it seems to be built well.

What source(s) does it seem to excel on?
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Nut

I love it on vocals, male and female. Excellent on electric guitar, too. I've only had it for a few days, but I'm looking at getting a second one already. I'll let you know how it is on overheads and room mics.
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Nut

I wish I had waited to get mine. Over the weekend they were less than $600 on reverb.

I just got all my gear so I'll be giving it a try once its all set up. I'm looking forward to trying it on vocals. I'll probably give it a go on acoustic guitar and piano as well.

Thanks for replying, and let me know how its working for ya after you've used it some more.
Old 2nd December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duojet57 View Post
I love mine. Stacks up really well against much more expensive mics.
Seeing this made my day! Glad you're digging it.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Nut

Nice! I've got a second one on loan today to see how they sound as overheads. Really digging it!

Question... Why the secrecy about the designer?
Old 2nd December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Nice! I've got a second one on loan today to see how they sound as overheads. Really digging it!

Question... Why the secrecy about the designer?
Awesome! We've had a lot of people very excited about V13s as drum OH or room mics, and it's something we tested extensively during the development process. We did design it with an eye towards being a "workhorse", so it's great to see it being used as such on so many sources. If you get any violin-family instruments in the studio, do give it a try - cello is my favorite source material for the V13.

RE: designer - after being in the industry for so long, he really just likes his privacy and prefers to stay out of the spotlight. Suffice to say, he's designed a lot of truly fantastic gear, and this is one of his favorite pieces he's ever done.

Thanks! -DEREK
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Nut

Just pulled the trigger on a second one! So rich and creamy on overheads. Perfect for bass with my B15, too. I've used pretty much every mic out there, and I'd have no problem having this as my main mic(s). Definitely leaps and bounds above any cheaper Chinese mic.

Two questions... What type of tube is shipping with the mic? I know it can use 12ax7, 12at7, and 12ay7. I'm just wondering what my starting point is so I can deviate from it and try other colors.

Also, how does the sound differ between tube types?

Thanks!
Old 3rd December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on a second one! So rich and creamy on overheads. Perfect for bass with my B15, too. I've used pretty much every mic out there, and I'd have no problem having this as my main mic(s). Definitely leaps and bounds above any cheaper Chinese mic.

Two questions... What type of tube is shipping with the mic? I know it can use 12ax7, 12at7, and 12ay7. I'm just wondering what my starting point is so I can deviate from it and try other colors.

Also, how does the sound differ between tube types?

Thanks!
Glad to hear it! We are certainly doing our best to defeat the "you get what you pay for" status quo. We've got some more great stuff coming too, if you end up coming to NAMM swing by our booth 7624.

Personally, I carry a spare cryo-treated 12AY7/6072A with my V13s (there's an extra tube slot built into the carry case just to the left of the power supply slot). I tend to use the 6072 on bottom-heavy sources like grand piano, as it tends to define the extreme lows a bit more, and also adds just a touch more high end sparkle. A few other ones we tried and liked were the JJ ECC81 and ECC83S, although they do have a more distinctive high-mid/top end that is a little more aggressive and may not be suited for every source. We tried a cornucopia of different tubes during development, and the best advice I can offer is to experiment. Just check your tube pinouts before you start A/B'ing

(Ray Kennedy in Nashville alternates between our Vanguard tube and a 5-star GE 6072 in his V13, depending on the situation. NOS tubes are fun, but that's a DEEP rabbit hole!)

-DEREK
Old 4th December 2016
Gear Nut

What's the purpose of the V cutout on the body of the mic? Is it just for looks or what?
Old 4th December 2016
Gear Nut

It's for heat dissipation. And looks cool.
Old 4th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:

Ahhh makes sense.
Old 4th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Old 7th December 2016
Gear Nut

Alright, i finally got a chance to give the mic a spin, and my first impression is really good. There's a very clear difference between this mic and the cheaper ones i have.

I first tried it on acoustic guitar and I really liked it. I'm gonna play around with it further and find the sweet spot, but its really full sounding. I plugged it straight into my focusrite pro 40 to see what just the mic sounds like, and i was very pleased. I liked it even more when i ran it through a gap73 and an eqp-wa on bypass.

Then i gave it a try on clean electric guitar, and i loved it. I just threw it a couple feet off the cone of my princeton reverb, and it immediately sounded good. Didnt even have to move it. It was either luck that i placed it exactly right first try, or the mic is just really good. Or both.

Im exited to try it on vocals and i'll probably be using this as my main mic. Still more testing/playing to be done, but my first impression is that its a solid mic and i made a good choice in taking a leap of faith on a lesser known brand.
Old 7th December 2016
Gear Nut

Also Vanguard Audio, when your other mics are ready, feel free to send me a demo to test out
Old 7th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrock View Post
Alright, i finally got a chance to give the mic a spin, and my first impression is really good. There's a very clear difference between this mic and the cheaper ones i have.

I first tried it on acoustic guitar and I really liked it. I'm gonna play around with it further and find the sweet spot, but its really full sounding. I plugged it straight into my focusrite pro 40 to see what just the mic sounds like, and i was very pleased. I liked it even more when i ran it through a gap73 and an eqp-wa on bypass.

Then i gave it a try on clean electric guitar, and i loved it. I just threw it a couple feet off the cone of my princeton reverb, and it immediately sounded good. Didnt even have to move it. It was either luck that i placed it exactly right first try, or the mic is just really good. Or both.

Im excited to try it on vocals and i'll probably be using this as my main mic. Still more testing/playing to be done, but my first impression is that its a solid mic and i made a good choice in taking a leap of faith on a lesser known brand.
Awesome!

One point of advice - use the polar pattern switch to your advantage. Not only is it fantastic for opening up or focusing an acoustic guitar mic, but on vocals the patterns are a natural EQ. My favorite starting spot is 1 click towards omni, but I usually end up between 2 positions towards omni and 1 towards figure-8 depending on the vocalist.

Keep enjoying it! We're always happy when our gear helps people make music.

-DEREK
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Head

I'm intrigued by this mic but there's not much videos or recorded files available on the web.

There's only one reseller in Europe in Switzerland.

I'm interested in a very good vocal mic with fulness and no harshness in the top end.

Can someone share a raw vocal recording made with it?

Thanks.

Franck
Old 10th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
I'm intrigued by this mic but there's not much videos or recorded files available on the web.

I'm interested in a very good vocal mic with fulness and no harshness in the top end.

Thanks.

Franck
Hi Franck,

We're actually working on getting raw vocal samples ASAP from our "One Mic" contest, we just finished up the mixes and we're working on getting everything sorted, labelled, and hosted on the website. With the NAMM Show coming up in a week, it's been difficult to squeeze in.

Andreas at Flyline AG is fantastic and he will take very good care of you. Also, depending on your location, Jan at Match AV in the Netherlands is an excellent fellow as well. Check our website and give them a call.

In the meantime, email me at derek@vanguardaudiolabs.com and I'll send you some raw vocal samples from a few different sources. Thank you! (As far as "full with no harshness," the V13 is perfect for it).

-Derek from Vanguard
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Here's nice one. Don't know if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post

Thanks.

Franck
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear
How do vocals stack on this Mic?
Old 31st March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
How do vocals stack on this Mic?
Hi,

You can find a couple of vocal stacks here (under the audio tab - I believe there's one called "Cello & Gang Vocals" one of our good friend Aaron Aiken recorded):

V13 Tube Condenser – Vanguard Audio Labs
Old 31st March 2017
Here for the gear

Old 22nd June 2017
Here for the gear

Can the V13 be used with a 12BH7 Tube?
Old 22nd June 2017
Really interested in this mic but can't find a frequency response. Anyone have any luck with that?
Old 22nd June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangcat View Post
Can the V13 be used with a 12BH7 Tube?
Indeed it can. We tested quite a few tubes in it. 12AY7/6072A is always an excellent choice as well - there's a reason that one goes in a lot of the tube mics that are on the market, it just WORKS.

Other models we liked include ECC81 and ECC83S from JJ, those will lend a different sound as well.

-Derek from Vanguard
Old 22nd June 2017
Here for the gear

Hi Derek,
the stock tube has a longer glass bulb than an AX or AY. What type of tube is this exactly?
Old 10th August 2017
Lives for gear

I just got a V13 a few days ago and have been putting it through the paces. I'm in the process of doing a whole song with just this mic and will do a video along with it, so I'll post that in the next week or so.

I just have to say, I have not been this impressed with a mic in a long time. Especially in this price range. I was hunting for a tube mic that was on the flatter/darker side that was not going to give me sibilance issues, it also needed to be versatile enough to be used on a lot of sources. My budget was under $1500 and I was looking at used mics. After going through a few different things and getting a used mic that got returned because it had issues, I decided just to give the Vanguard a try. Lots of good reviews and started by one of the Avant/Avantone guys, if it end up being awesome I'll throw some money in savings...

Right off the bat I threw it on acoustic guitar. My initial reaction was "Wow, lot's of character, not hyped at all". After trying it on a few other things, I started playing around with EQ and doing some mixing. There's SO much usable information with this mic. You can make it sound like a mid forward classic tube mic or bring out some highs and air and all of a sudden it sounds like a 251. I haven't found a lot of other mics that can do that. Usually a "character" mic does one thing well but starts to sound weird if you're too aggressive in post. Not this guys, it gave me lots of options at mix time.

I have to give them a round of applause for not voicing this like every other mic in this price range. The only other mic I can think of that's sounds similar and is close in price is the Mojave MA-200 (The Vanguard is multi pattern, so probably similar to the MA-300, but I have not used it to know if it sounds the same as the 200). The MA-200 used to be a go to for me on drums especially, I heard a lot of similarities in the Vanguard. The polar patterns were a lot more useful than normal as well, I found switching between them gave me a lot of choices when it came to placement. The low cut as well is voiced perfectly. I got in a bit close on the acoustic guitar and the proximity effect was a bit strong. I almost never use a low cut on a mic when doing acoustic instruments, but I gave it a shot and it was spot on!

At any rate, I can keep blabering on about it. I'll finish up the song and get to work on the video. I'm planning on posting session files as well so you can all play around with it. Bottom line, this is a solid mic. I hate to say this, but they should have put it in a bigger body and charged around $1200 for it. I think everyone would be going nuts for it. Still a beautiful mic that's well made, and well worth $700...
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I just got a V13 a few days ago and have been putting it through the paces. I'm in the process of doing a whole song with just this mic and will do a video along with it, so I'll post that in the next week or so.

I just have to say, I have not been this impressed with a mic in a long time. Especially in this price range. I was hunting for a tube mic that was on the flatter/darker side that was not going to give me sibilance issues, it also needed to be versatile enough to be used on a lot of sources. My budget was under $1500 and I was looking at used mics. After going through a few different things and getting a used mic that got returned because it had issues, I decided just to give the Vanguard a try. Lots of good reviews and started by one of the Avant/Avantone guys, if it end up being awesome I'll throw some money in savings...

Right off the bat I threw it on acoustic guitar. My initial reaction was "Wow, lot's of character, not hyped at all". After trying it on a few other things, I started playing around with EQ and doing some mixing. There's SO much usable information with this mic. You can make it sound like a mid forward classic tube mic or bring out some highs and air and all of a sudden it sounds like a 251. I haven't found a lot of other mics that can do that. Usually a "character" mic does one thing well but starts to sound weird if you're too aggressive in post. Not this guys, it gave me lots of options at mix time.

I have to give them a round of applause for not voicing this like every other mic in this price range. The only other mic I can think of that's sounds similar and is close in price is the Mojave MA-200 (The Vanguard is multi pattern, so probably similar to the MA-300, but I have not used it to know if it sounds the same as the 200). The MA-200 used to be a go to for me on drums especially, I heard a lot of similarities in the Vanguard. The polar patterns were a lot more useful than normal as well, I found switching between them gave me a lot of choices when it came to placement. The low cut as well is voiced perfectly. I got in a bit close on the acoustic guitar and the proximity effect was a bit strong. I almost never use a low cut on a mic when doing acoustic instruments, but I gave it a shot and it was spot on!

At any rate, I can keep blabering on about it. I'll finish up the song and get to work on the video. I'm planning on posting session files as well so you can all play around with it. Bottom line, this is a solid mic. I hate to say this, but they should have put it in a bigger body and charged around $1200 for it. I think everyone would be going nuts for it. Still a beautiful mic that's well made, and well worth $700...
Cool,.. Now I want one
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Cool,.. Now I want one
Almost done with the video, will get it up in a day or so. Don't let the cheap price deter you, very much worth it and an impressive mic!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search