The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vari Mu or SSL/Smart
Old 19th December 2003
  #31
Lives for gear
 
robmix's Avatar
Re: Re: opinions r like bottoms (everyonehas one)

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Okay, we are disagreeing again. Good. The planets are back in alignment. I don't want my bus compressor to go ape shit on my Stereo Bus. If I did, my mixes would sound like some dookie stained over compressed Lord Algee mix. If that's your thing, go with the SSL. It's hard. Sometimes I need this. The way I mix, my drums are LOUD. Big Time (2 db louder than most engineers mix them). The manley pillows them softly with other elements I keep overly dramatic (over dramatic by like a DB, so maybe I should just say dramatic, but we are talking stereo busses here).
Just for the sake of accuracy, Chris uses the Focusrite Red 3 compressor on the stereo bus, not the SSL. And usually no more than 2-4 db of compression on the overall mix. He does have an outboard Smart that occassionally gets piano duty.

Rob
Old 19th December 2003
  #32
Moderator emeritus
 

Re: API 2500

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Wolff
Try the API 2500. 100% of the engineers that have one can't shut it off.
Because there's no power switch?

Sorry, Paul - I HAVE played with it - it is a marvelous piece of work.
Old 19th December 2003
  #33
Lives for gear
 
chap's Avatar
 

here's kicking a dead horse

I still love my Vari Mu and place it first in the Stereo Buss. If you keep the compression under or around 2 dB, you can avoid all this talk of pillowy this or that. I follow with a Massive and then (depending on the music) either a SLAM! or a new favorite(don't laugh) the Focusrite Blue 230.
The Focusrite seems transparent and tight.
The Manley is big and open. It's a sonic speedball but it really is working well. Two very different comps doing different things at the same time.
The key seems to be that no more than 2 dB from either compressor.
get a credit card and try it
Happy Holidays,
chap
Old 20th December 2003
  #34
Re: here's kicking a dead horse

Quote:
Originally posted by chap
I still love my Vari Mu and place it first in the Stereo Buss. If you keep the compression under or around 2 dB, you can avoid all this talk of pillowy this or that. I follow with a Massive and then (depending on the music) either a SLAM! or a new favorite(don't laugh) the Focusrite Blue 230.
The Focusrite seems transparent and tight.
The Manley is big and open. It's a sonic speedball but it really is working well. Two very different comps doing different things at the same time.
The key seems to be that no more than 2 dB from either compressor.
get a credit card and try it
Happy Holidays,
chap
Hey Chap,

Have you been to my studio lately?

I actually like it in reverse, an MP EQ into the Blue 230 into the Vari-MU into a GML or a Sontec.

I've been singing the praises of the Blue 230 on the forumn for a while now.

On the mix buss i usually use the 1:5 ratio with the threshold at maximum and i work the attack and release(very versatile).

By the way, do you have the 230 with transformers or without?(big difference in tone)
Old 20th December 2003
  #35
Lives for gear
 
chap's Avatar
 

Hey Wiggy,
No but I'm in town for sessions, gigs and mastering
(I mix here) quite a bit so invite me.

I'm experimenting with the order. I've had it hammered into my head that compressor goes first followed by EQ and limiter. Maybe I should muck around more. Have you tried the SLAM! on your stereo buss? Sometimes I'll use the elop and just tickle the needle less than a 1/2 a dB. Same with the FET. I've had some pretty interesting results from that too. I've also been messing with a pair of modded Distessors but they seem too aggressive for 2 buss.
The 230 that I have has Lundahl? transformers and was hand made in Scotland. I'm told that they make about 5 or so a year. I have some old 215's that I like but I had given up on Focusrite when I heard all that platinum and green shit. Now I'm back and digging the Blue. What do I know? I'm a guitar player. People only think I'm an engineer.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 20th December 2003
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Stick's Avatar
 

Re: Re: drawmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
You're talking about the 1960 not the 1969...
Yeah, so I've got one of those 1960s. Is there anything that can be done to make into something cool?

Every once in a while I try and hook it up to use the compressor, and I never end up using it for anything. I just use it for the mic pres, with the compression off. Not the greatest mic pres either.
Old 20th December 2003
  #37
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 

Re: Re: Re: opinions r like bottoms (everyonehas one)

Quote:
Originally posted by robmix
Just for the sake of accuracy, Chris uses the Focusrite Red 3 compressor on the stereo bus, not the SSL. And usually no more than 2-4 db of compression on the overall mix. He does have an outboard Smart that occassionally gets piano duty.

Rob
My bad. I was talking about Tom (at the time of the post we had been talking a lot about his style on other threads). At the time TLA's assistant told me he used the board comp on his mixes, but who knows. That could change, or be inaccurate. What I was getting at is that the SSL is much more agressive than the Vari mu.

I go through stages with this stuff. My last post was like, over a year ago? Now I seem to be using the SSL (9K) compressor a lot more, when I use 2 mix compression at all. As a matter a fact, I'm about to buy a unit.
Old 20th December 2003
  #38
Lives for gear
 
kevinc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
Hey Chappie, Thanks for your thumbs up on Paul's T-Bar mod.

This topic was already covered on Fletcher's prosoundweb board

For more details about our T-Bar mod, give a holler to Paul, my service tech at [email protected]

Give him your serial number in your request so he knows which version of the mod you would need as over the years there obviously have been a few different production versions of the Variable Mu. I think the Stereo Variable Mu's 10th year anniversary is next year actually...

Paul has all the details.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MU!!!

I love the MU.
It reminds me of my Fender Twin.
It`s rich and warm and musical.
I love it on vocals unlike some people around here.
To me the compression itself sounds very transparent.
It`s when you crank it up when you start to notice it almost like when you crank up a guitar tube amp.
You get this beautiful warm air kind of vibe like you stuck the sound in Hawaii for a couple minutes to get a proper focus on things.
I love that vibe.
Despite what everybody seems to say around here my years of experiance with Fender and Marshall amps has definately carried over to high end recording gear.
I love what tubes do to sound
It`s not overrated.
This thing warms up sound baby!
You could heat your house from a MU!
You can cook a turkey on the sucker!!
HOT TUBES!!
Yeahh!!!
Kevin
Old 20th December 2003
  #39
Moderator emeritus
 

Re: Re: Re: drawmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Stick
Yeah, so I've got one of those 1960s. Is there anything that can be done to make into something cool?
Start by replacing the IC's with Burr Browns. Then replace the tubes with a better quality tube. Those two things wil make an audible difference.

Don Kruse at Music Row Technology in Nashville did some mods to mine, including the above suggestions, but I don't remember what else he did. A web search should give you a number to call and ask...
Old 20th December 2003
  #40
Lives for gear
 
chap's Avatar
 

I'm with MU

I hear ya Kevin.
Try Paul's T Bar mod. He's the best tech guy I know AND he's a great guy. That's a hard combo to track down.
Happy Holidays
chap
Old 20th December 2003
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Stick's Avatar
 

Re: Re: Re: Re: drawmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Start by replacing the IC's with Burr Browns. Then replace the tubes with a better quality tube. Those two things wil make an audible difference.

Don Kruse at Music Row Technology in Nashville did some mods to mine, including the above suggestions, but I don't remember what else he did. A web search should give you a number to call and ask...
Cool... I'll check it out. Thanks Dave.
Old 20th December 2003
  #42
Lives for gear
 
kevinc's Avatar
 

Re: I'm with MU

Quote:
Originally posted by chap
I hear ya Kevin.
Try Paul's T Bar mod. He's the best tech guy I know AND he's a great guy. That's a hard combo to track down.
Happy Holidays
chap

Chap my good fellow.
How much does the T bar mod cost ?
Also arent certain models of the Mu better off as they are ?
I heard the T bar mod was to compensate for changes that had to be made in the tubes because they ran out of a certain model.
I remember seeing in some thread that it was reccomended that serial numbers past a certain point get the mod while the ones before that were better off as they are.
I should find the thread for myself but I`m too damn lazy right now.
Happy holidays to you too.

Kevin
Old 20th December 2003
  #43
Lives for gear
 
chap's Avatar
 

Call Paul Fargo and tell him Hello for me.
His number is on the Manley web site under repairs.
He'll explain everything. I think it's free!
best,
chap

ps- I'll be singing his praises in an upcoming 'Mix'
Old 24th June 2004
  #44
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
"Hey Jules have you ever tried a Vari Mu?"

Never! But I WANT TO!

But I understand the latest T Bar Mod (standard on new models?) makes them even more suited to Mix buss duities....

Old thread....I know....

...but is the T-bar standard on a new Vari-MU anno 2004?
Old 24th June 2004
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Albert's Avatar
 

I bought a VariMu last November and it didn't have the T-Bar mod. Should be standard equipment in my opinion, as I like the unit a lot more with it. Paul's a true pro, turned around my VariMu quickly and did a great job on it.
Old 26th June 2004
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

I tried like hell to incorperate the MU into my rig as a drum sub and 2 bus comp. but it wasn't nearly as aggresive as I would have hoped. Even with Pauls T-Bar mod I wasn't happy with sonic character. Or perhaps a more accurate statement would be that I was trying to get apple juice out of an orange. For the modern rock mixes I'm doing these days the MU seems to lack punch and you can forget about crushing the sh$t out of your tracks. It just seemed as though it didn't "pop" as much as I would have liked. I do however love Manley products as I own practically the entire catalogue and would love to see an SSL type comp with that killer Manley tube output stage (or perhaps thats a contradiction within itself).
Old 26th June 2004
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Renie's Avatar
 

hi Thrill

What do find useful about the Massive Passive first in your chain on the 2 bus??

thanks

Rene
Old 26th June 2004
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

I tried a Pendulum ES8 @ Davemc's the other day and its VERY nice, and dare i say that i even prefered it to a MU in the short instances that i farted around with it. However i still love using a MU on OH's, Bass in series strapped one side into the other. Not as coloured as the MU which is weird cos im usually a 'colour' dude.. but hey its all in the application. I would kick either out of bed!

Wiggy
Old 31st May 2005
  #49
Lives for gear
 
DeeDrive's Avatar
 

Just got a Vari-Mu and nearly creamed myself. Somewhat subtle but oh so beautiful........
Old 31st May 2005
  #50
Lives for gear
 

right now I use a Smart C-1 at 4:1 taking off 2-4db. Sounds punchy and tight, love it!

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 1st June 2005
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveAnna Manley
Hey Chappie, Thanks for your thumbs up on Paul's T-Bar mod.

This topic was already covered on Fletcher's prosoundweb board

For more details about our T-Bar mod, give a holler to Paul, my service tech at [email protected]

Give him your serial number in your request so he knows which version of the mod you would need as over the years there obviously have been a few different production versions of the Variable Mu. I think the Stereo Variable Mu's 10th year anniversary is next year actually...

Paul has all the details.
Eveanna, your link is bad. Can you give a subject name to the thread on Fletcher's board?

Thanks mucho...
Old 1st June 2005
  #52
Lives for gear
 
chap's Avatar
 

I would just contact Paul. He's one of those quiet, genius types.
peace,
chap
Old 1st June 2005
  #53
JB3
Gear Addict
 

...Just to throw in a ringer...

Anyone else tried the CraneSong STC-8 on the Two Buss?

Just recently added one, it's not leaving...

2Β’

...J

ps. Love the API but you always know its there...not so with STC-8, very refined but very capable...
Old 1st June 2005
  #54
Lives for gear
 
chap's Avatar
 

I always have either the STC 8 or the Blue 230 after the Vari Mu.
Sometimes I need it and sometimes not but it's good to know it's there.
chap
Old 1st June 2005
  #55
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap
I always have either the STC 8 or the Blue 230 after the Vari Mu.
Sometimes I need it and sometimes not but it's good to know it's there.
chap
Dumb question. What IS a Blue 230?
Old 1st June 2005
  #56
JB3
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater
Dumb question. What IS a Blue 230?
Ask and ye shall be enlightened...

"The Focusrite Blue 230 is a special version of the Red 3 dual compressor/limiter, optimised for broadcast applications. It features the same award-winning signal path as the Red 3, but with switched control of critical parameters for improved recall."

Quote from Focusrite web page: www.focusrite.com/products/blue

...J
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear