The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fixing Broken Mics? Dynamic Microphones
Old 12th November 2016
Fixing Broken Mics?

Hey all,

I've been putting off a few little niggling things in the studio for a month or two.

Firstly, I have an SM7B which sounds and works perfectly, but sometimes it cuts in and out, and if you simply move or tap it a little, it'll be fine again. Any ideas?

Also, I have a small condenser Oktava MK12 and it takes notions of being a little noisy. It'll sound like its breaking up or distorting a little. And this only happens occasionally too.

Easy fixes ? ?
Old 13th November 2016
Guess the answer is no, its not an easy fix lol
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Guru

Shure has a flat rate deal on repairs. It would probably be worth it to send the SM7 to them. On the Octava, Shannon Rhodes at Mic Rehab in Nashville is a good place to start. He's amazing fairly quick.
Old 13th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Shure has a flat rate deal on repairs. It would probably be worth it to send the SM7 to them. On the Octava, Shannon Rhodes at Mic Rehab in Nashville is a good place to start. He's amazing fairly quick.
Hey man - thanks for the info! I'll keep those in mind!

I should have also mentioned I'm in Ireland, so any UK or European based placed if I have to send it away would be preferable really.

But if I must send them off to be fixed, I guess it has to be done and if I cant find anywhere closer, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
Old 14th November 2016
Lives for gear

In Europe, Xaudia comes highly recommended. I love their website, and I wish there was a company like that in the US.

As far as fixing it yourself, enter at your own risk. I would guess that the SM7 problem is a simple repair, but I don't know how difficult disassembly is. It's really easy to get in over your head when attempting repairs on things you've never worked on before.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search