The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Difference in speaker level while the signal chains are identical Studio Monitors
Old 10th November 2016
Here for the gear

Difference in speaker level while the signal chains are identical

Hi all,

Hope you are doing well,

I have been using these wonderful Yamaha HS8 monitors for quite some time now, but from the beginning the right hand side sounds softer than the left hand side.
To be really accurate about this, I did a test in Audacity and generated a square wave on one track and recorded a mic that I was holding alternating in front of the left speaker and the right speaker. By the size of the shape I could determine if overall levels were identical. First I thought the difference was just in the tweeter, but the main speaker shows this difference as well.
What did I already do to troubleshoot and what did not make a difference:

- swapping speakers left and right
- swapping mixer with another device
- swapping audio device with another device
- swapping DAW (from Reason to Audacity, if you want to call it a DAW)

The only logical cause I can think of are the room dynamics. In order to get the levels more or less identical, I had to change the volume control in the more quite speaker. There are 11 divisions on the volume knob (from min to max) and I had to up the volume by one division (so I guess about 10 %).
Can this difference be caused by the room dynamics? I'm in a rather big room with lots of space on all sides. I have not done any room treatment *yet* .

Thanks a bunch!

BC
Old 10th November 2016
Here for the gear
Hi,
Did you make sure to record the level of each speaker at the exact same distance? It seems like it could only be the room configuration then. Have you tried changing your listening position? There might be a wall reflecting the sound so that the right monitor sounds louder.

Let us know,

Best,

Joe

Last edited by JoeITB; 10th November 2016 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: greetz
Old 11th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Swap cords. Did you look at speaker settings on back of cabinet (if there are any)? Also, run a mono signal through both speakers at the same time and see if anything changes.
Old 11th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeITB View Post
Hi,
Did you make sure to record the level of each speaker at the exact same distance? It seems like it could only be the room configuration then. Have you tried changing your listening position? There might be a wall reflecting the sound so that the right monitor sounds louder.

Let us know,

Best,

Joe
Hi Joe,

yes, the mic was held at the approximate same location. Things seem to point to room acoustics, but I would never have guessed this could make a 10% difference!

Thanks for answering,

BC
Old 11th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKWizard View Post
Swap cords. Did you look at speaker settings on back of cabinet (if there are any)? Also, run a mono signal through both speakers at the same time and see if anything changes.
Hi,

could chords be accountable for a 10% volume difference?
The speaker settings are identical, though I have now compensated the right hand speaker with 10% more volume.
By mono signal, do you mean to have the same signal left and right? Because that is how I did my tests.

Cheers guys,

BC
Old 11th November 2016
Lives for gear

It could be the room or any other part of the chain (even your ears!). Sometimes inputs on speakers differ slightly. I'd just play some white noise and adjust the speaker levels so that the speakers sound balanced. If you want to get scientific you could play each speaker separately and use an SPL meter (or SPL app) to measure the level.
Old 12th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
It could be the room or any other part of the chain (even your ears!). Sometimes inputs on speakers differ slightly. I'd just play some white noise and adjust the speaker levels so that the speakers sound balanced. If you want to get scientific you could play each speaker separately and use an SPL meter (or SPL app) to measure the level.
Hi,

yes, I indeed considered my ears. I've had a high pitched noise in one ear for years due to a concert that was too loud. But this is my left hand ear while the problem is on the right hand site, so that cannot be it.
I have now compensated the difference with the volume knob on the back of the rand hand speaker, I guess that should do it. I'm happy the problem is not in my speakers, because it is always such a hassle to send your times back to the supplier, certainly when they are this big.
SPL app: I used one on my smarthpone but I found using a mic was far more accurate. I guess the mic on a smartphone has a limited quality,

Cheers,

BC
Old 12th November 2016
Lives for gear

a test to consider ...

place both monitors 'Side-by-Side' [touching]. This puts them into a MONO'ish configuration that can make A/B comparisons more focused
on the monitors, and less on the room acoustics to some degree.

Be mindful of nearby walls ... try to avoid ...

Now the signal chain can be tested/compared. If NO differences ... then, Yes ... Room acoustics and design have a significant impact on speaker reproduction.
Old 13th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
a test to consider ...

place both monitors 'Side-by-Side' [touching]. This puts them into a MONO'ish configuration that can make A/B comparisons more focused
on the monitors, and less on the room acoustics to some degree.

Be mindful of nearby walls ... try to avoid ...

Now the signal chain can be tested/compared. If NO differences ... then, Yes ... Room acoustics and design have a significant impact on speaker reproduction.
That is a ingenius idea, will try that,

BC
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search