The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Gotta get a vocal mic tomorrow under $1300?
Old 4th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Gotta get a vocal mic tomorrow under $1300?

I'm in deep, I'm out my main vocal mic and I borrowed an AT4050 and it's totally not working for me, way to thin sounding. I need a mic for a session tomorrow afternoon... I need a good solid pro mic that can be used on male rock vocals, females and rappers. Any suggestion??? I'm going to Coast in the morning and check out the Soundelux U195. Tops can spend $1300. Thanks

James
Old 4th February 2004
Lives for gear

James,

At that price limit, the U195 may be your best bet. I recently got one and I love it. The AT4047 is also pretty nice, but much cheaper. It's my favorite of the AT line. The high end ADK stuff is getting some good reports from people I trust as well.

Good Luck.
Old 4th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Kyle,

Thanks!!! I think I'm gonna go that way.

James
Old 4th February 2004
Lives for gear

Vocal Mic

I recently bought a CAD M9 and just did a lead and B/u vocal with it through a Langevein DVC into a Distressor. I have no idea if it is in the same league as a U195, but for $400 I was very damn impressed. I feel it exceeds or at least matches the performance of mics that retail for twice as much. It cuts through the mix and you can get warmth via proximity effect. For the money, it might be worth considering. Heck, I find the Oktava M319 or even a 219 is often the right choice when nothing else works. For the money, it's worth having one or two around.
Old 4th February 2004
Gear Maniac

I'll look into those.

Thanks
Old 4th February 2004
Lives for gear

A Cad M9 with a telefunken 12Ax7(instead of the russian one) is a nice thing to hear...YMMV
Old 4th February 2004
Lives for gear
I could certainly recommend the Rode Classic if it's a tube you're after. Its bright, but hey, that's usually what the singers want anyway.
Old 4th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies. I will look into those mics... Not only am I a singer but I'm also a guitar player, that meens I like it extra bright...lol Thanks to Marshall I'm deaf! Gearslutz ROCKS!!!!!
Old 4th February 2004
Lives for gear

call nathan at atlasproaudio.com and pick up the soundelux u195...you'll love it
Old 4th February 2004
Lives for gear

In that range the Soundeluxe, and the THE KR-25 and KR-33 are the one's to beat. The Brauner Phantom isn't much more and it's really great.
Old 4th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
In that range the Soundeluxe, and the THE KR-25 and KR-33 are the one's to beat. The Brauner Phantom isn't much more and it's really great.
Someone is selling their Brauner Phantom C in the classified Gearslutz section.
Old 4th February 2004
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Also consider the Shure SM7b, EV RE20, Sennheiser 441, or Beyer M88
to go along with a condenser. The Studio Projects T3 is excellent also,
and is a multi-pattern microphone which would be handy for background
vocals, if you're planning to do any.

Chris
Old 4th February 2004
Lives for gear

Choices

Quote:
Originally posted by chessparov
Also consider the Shure SM7b, EV RE20, Sennheiser 441, or Beyer M88
to go along with a condenser. The Studio Projects T3 is excellent also,
and is a multi-pattern microphone which would be handy for background
vocals, if you're planning to do any.

Chris
I find more often than not I have to put up quite a few vocal mics before I find the right one. It's nice to have choices. It would be tough to "put all your eggs in one basket" and count on that mic always being the one. I had a session recently with a fellow who has an amazing singing voice. I tried everything in the mic collection (sm57, MD 421, AKG 414 BULS, Oktava ribbons & condensors, Solidtube, even an AKG C1000S) and we ended up having to settle for something that really didn't do him justice.
Old 4th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
If the original problem was that his mic was too thin on the singer, I'm not sure the Phantom would be the best alternative. I found that mic to be very clean and crystalline and detailed, but it didn't seem to bring much low midrange vibe or oomph to the party.

I'd be most tempted to try out the Soundeluxe U195. Return it if you don't like it.

-R
Old 4th February 2004
Here for the gear

If you have a good pre with a lot of gain, I would suggest looking into the Shure SM7b. They are great for male rock vocals.
Old 4th February 2004
Here for the gear

FWIW i just chose a U195 after auditioning side by side in my studio the U195, Gefel 930, Brauner PhntomC ( all through a GR1NV/RNC chain).

I had been using an At4033 and/or SM57.

The SD U195 was the only one that had good weight at the bottom for my voice without muddiness ( I use the low cut filter).
It also had some of that nice shimmery FET U47 type top end that made it well suited to my vox.

However, Its not neutral and isnt my fav for acoustic guitar or much else.

YMMV
Old 4th February 2004
Gear Nut

I love these discussions. I have Earthworks fans who stick a pop filter in front of a QTC1 and insist it's the bomb. I like using dynamic mics on my voice cuz I suck too much for the detail from a SDC omni that's the fastest mic in the world.. but whisper tracks to the background is a different ball of ductape. Try a time coherent small diaphram condenser behind a pop screen someday on a whisper track yum. AND it can do double duty as an acoustic guitar mic .yay, I say yay.wooo more coffee.
jeff
Old 5th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Well I grabbed a Soundelux U195 today and it's a cool mic. When I first fired it up it sounded a bit wierd, kind of glossy but I messed with the three switches on the back and found a good combo -10 Left, FAT Right, LOWCut Right - changing the switches brought back the timbre in my voice. I also did a low cut on the pre and in protools. I'm finding out that low end takes away the character of my voice.
We used it on a girl and it sounded good. I had a U99 on loan which was not that good for my voice (again very glossy without the throaty sound I need) but was amazing on this girl today, kinda Toni Braxtonish. I'm gonna stick with the U195 but I'm going to probably get the Korby as my main vocal mic. Listening to all these mics over the past few weeks, IMHO nothing touched the Korby for tone. And I'm kind of a tone freak. The Korby is the Full Monty!!! Thanks for all your help this week on this message board.
Old 5th February 2004
Lives for gear

James, I'd say most people on this forum know way more about recording than I, but I can tell you what works for my voice (low, male, rock)

Lawson LMp47
Rode NTK
Shure SM7b

If you have a nice pre, I think the Rode or Shure are just fine and can deliver professional results. The sm7b is great for the real aggressive stuff that borderlines on just screaming. The NTK is a great mic if you don't have any "shrill" qualities to your voice because it does have a little hf bump. For the style of music you listed, I'd say get a nice pre and use a sm57 or one of the cheaper 2 I listed. If you have a nice pre then I'd still say check out those two. Compare with your ears and not with their price tag.

cheers,
Steve
Old 5th February 2004
Gear Maniac

Well I grabbed a Soundelux U195 today and it's a cool mic. When I first fired it up it sounded a bit wierd, kind of glossy but I messed with the three switches on the back and found a good combo -10 Left, FAT Right, LOWCut Right - changing the switches brought back the timbre in my voice. I also did a low cut on the pre and in protools. I'm finding out that low end takes away the character of my voice.
We used it on a girl and it sounded good. I had a U99 on loan which was not that good for my voice (again very glossy without the throaty sound I need) but was amazing on this girl today, kinda Toni Braxtonish. I'm gonna stick with the U195 but I'm going to probably get the Korby as my main vocal mic. Listening to all these mics over the past few weeks, IMHO nothing touched the Korby for tone. And I'm kind of a tone freak. The Korby is the Full Monty!!! Thanks for all your help this week on this message board.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search