The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA 4710D to Apollo 8p without using ADAT/Lightpipe? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd November 2016
Here for the gear

UA 4710D to Apollo 8p without using ADAT/Lightpipe?

Hey Guys, i've been looking everywhere for an answer to this and can't seem to find anything... an audio professional told me that the 4710's A/D converters were inferior to the Apollo 8p's, and so to make sure that the Apollo was doing the A/D conversion.. I seemed to have confirmed this when looking it up online; however, after reading through the manual multiple times I can't seem to figure out how to connect the 4710d to the apollo so that the conversion occurs in the Apollo, because everything says to connect via ADAT Lightpipe, which according to my understanding only transfers a post-converted signal to the interface.

If I want to achieve this is my only option to go XLR in from 4710 to XLR in on apollo?
Thank you thank you for any advice you can give!

Old 3rd November 2016
Gear Nut

To use the Apollo 8p's A/D you'll need to run the XLR line outs from the 4710d into the Apollo's line ins via 1/4" TRS. On the Apollo's combi-jack inputs XLR is automatically mic level and TRS is line level.

To completely bypass the mic pre circuits on those lines in, refer to page 11 of the 8p's manual, "Line Input Gain Bypass"

http://media.uaudio.com/support/down...are_Manual.pdf

Hope that helps!
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear
Yes use the analog connections only. Don't touch the adat and you'll be fine.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Do you want to bypass the Apollo preamp and used the 4710D preamp
or you want to used the apollo preamp AND used the 4710D preamp
for a total of 12 preamp ?
Old 4th November 2016
Here for the gear

thank you littlebox and goldi, i guess its as I suspected
Old 4th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Do you want to bypass the Apollo preamp and used the 4710D preamp
or you want to used the apollo preamp AND used the 4710D preamp
for a total of 12 preamp ?

big bone, yes I would prefer to have a total of 12 preamps, using the Apollo A to D converter. are you guys saying then that if I want to use the Apollo A/D converter then the max I can have is 8?
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

This is the answer from UAD when i ask the question about the Apollo and the
4710D for a total of 12 pre's.

1. ADAT - With an ADAT/Toslink cable, connect the ADAT output 1 of the
4-710d into the Apollo ADAT Input 1 (if you are using 88.2/96kHz sample
rates and want to use all 8 channels of the 4-710d converter, you would
connect the ADAT Output 2 to Apollo's ADAT Input 2)
2. Word clock - using a BNC cable, connect Apollo's Word Clock Output to
the 4-710d's Input
3. On the front of the 4-710d make sure that the Sample Rate knob on the
bottom right of the front panel is set to W/C (Word Clock)
Old 5th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
This is the answer from UAD when i ask the question about the Apollo and the
4710D for a total of 12 pre's.

1. ADAT - With an ADAT/Toslink cable, connect the ADAT output 1 of the
4-710d into the Apollo ADAT Input 1 (if you are using 88.2/96kHz sample
rates and want to use all 8 channels of the 4-710d converter, you would
connect the ADAT Output 2 to Apollo's ADAT Input 2)
2. Word clock - using a BNC cable, connect Apollo's Word Clock Output to
the 4-710d's Input
3. On the front of the 4-710d make sure that the Sample Rate knob on the
bottom right of the front panel is set to W/C (Word Clock)
Totally, so for that set up, it seems that for the 8p apollo channels, AD conversion would occur in the Apollo, however; for the 8 channels in the 4710, AD conversion would occur in the 4710. (I want the ad converter of the superior Apollo)

how could we go about getting 12 channels ready to record, all of who's AD conversions take place in Apollo?

every solution I can think of involves taking up 4 XLR channels on the back of the apollo :/ :face palm:

so basically if I want all AD conversions taking place in the apollo, it seems like it is only possible to get 8 channels with my current set up? if I am okay with conversion happening in the 4710, then it seems I can expand via ADAT to 16 channels
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

The Apollo got 8 analog out, if you want to used 12 output, you
will have to used an other unit converstion.
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmatters View Post
how could we go about getting 12 channels ready to record, all of who's AD conversions take place in Apollo?
Get another Apollo, and then you'll have 16.

...Or you can just stick with one Apollo, and also use the 4-710d's conversion, for a total of 16 inputs.

Can you hear an audible difference between the converters? Have you even made a comparison? If the answer to either of these questions is no, then you probably should compare the preamps' ADAT output vs. their analog output before you just assume the 4-710-d's conversion is unacceptable. If you take the time to listen, you might notice a difference, or you might not. But it's kind of silly to just write off the 4-710d's conversion as unusable without even giving it a chance.

People say all kinds of stuff online. Some of it's true, and some of it ain't. The converters in my 4-710d are plenty good enough for my purposes, and because its ADAT output it adds eight more tracks to my interface. Never had any problems. Sounds great to me. My advice is don't knock it til you try it.
Old 5th November 2016
Gear Addict

From UA website

"Classic tube and solid-state tones with 1176-style compression and professional AD conversion"

UA makes good stuff. I'd take those converters probably over the apollo, but I haven't used either. I've heard plenty of tracks through the apollo though. And I've used a solo 110, what I think is a single channel of 710. Love it.

In order for the conversion to take place outside the 4710, you'd need 4 channels of analog signals to travel out of the 4710 and over to the apollo for conversion. That would mean the apollo needs to be able to accept 4 more analog inputs somehow. Maybe not XLR, but some way... If it could do that they would probably advertise it loudly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search