The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best amp to use with Yamaha NS10m's
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Maniac

Best amp to use with Yamaha NS10m's

I'm using a not overly impressive sampson servo and think it's time it got replaced by something better - was wondering what you were all using / was the best option?

Was also toying with replacing them with focals, as I'm bored of the lack of extended upfront bass range..
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

bryston 4bsst
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Maniac

thanks
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Guru

Whatever you use, make sure it has at least 200 watts per side. Power is what makes them sound good and not blow up.
Old 1st March 2007
Adcom power amps
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Head

Bryston seems to be a standard. I have had good luck with McIntosh.
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muso View Post
I'm using a not overly impressive sampson servo and think it's time it got replaced by something better - was wondering what you were all using / was the best option?

Was also toying with replacing them with focals, as I'm bored of the lack of extended upfront bass range..
I suggest checking out McIntosh amps or, if you can find one, Perreaux (which is a personal favorite of mine).

At the same time, I am really digging the Focal Solo 6 Be's. They are currently my favorite, and most trusted, nearfields. The stereo image is excellent, plus they have a wide sweet spot. So I know I can move around the room, like to the outboard racks, and still hear what's going on. I also find myself having to check my mixes in the car less. These monitors translate really well for me. heh
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

the BEST amp?

How about a Boulder 2050?

2,000 watts into 4ohms, 4,000 into 2ohms, 135dB S/N. Weighs 230lbs each. Price: $60,000 a pair.

http://www.boulderamp.com/index_flash.html
Attached Images
Best amp to use with Yamaha NS10m's-boulder-2050.jpg 
Old 1st March 2007
BRYSTON 4B-ST
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Head

everytime i hear bryston amps they just sound a little too pointy in the midrange to me. i tend to like old yamaha amps. not sure of the model on them though...

jd
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Maniac

This is going to make me sound dumb...but I have a question about amps.

I have a Hafler P3000 for my NS-10's and I have the trims set to minimum (-18db or something). Before the signal hits the amp it's knocked down plenty by a passive volume control as well. The signal originates from my converters (Rosetta 200) playing back my current mix, or a cd or whatever. If I were to leave the volume control and amp trims at unity and played a cd I would go deaf and/or my speakers would explode. It would be LOUD.

Amps I see recommended here have more than 200 watts per channel, which is what my Hafler has. I assume to use these amps you would need to attenuate a standard +4 signal a lot. Now for the dumb questions:

Why is it important for the amp to have so much power if you're going to be barely feeding it any signal to amplify?

Wouldn't it be more efficient to use an amp with less power from the standpoint that you would have a much lower gain increase to achieve the desired listening volume through the speakers? I don't mean efficient for your power bill, I mean like having a less distorted signal being fed to your speakers.

I'm guessing that I'm missing something here. I'm not exactly an electronics whiz. Thanks.
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Adcom power amps
thumbsup

The GFA 5X5 series designed by Nelson Pass. Absolutely awsome with NS-10s. My 545 sounds phenominal on them. clean, quiet, powerful and totally revealing throughout the entire midrange...
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Whatever you use, make sure it has at least 200 watts per side. Power is what makes them sound good and not blow up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatStudio View Post
BRYSTON 4B-ST
I have a Bryston 2B-LP Amplifier that I was planning on using with my NS10's. Is this too low in power to use? I haven't tried yet cuz I have to replace a woofer and tweeter.

It's rated at:
60w per ch/8 ohms
100w per ch/4 ohms
200w bridged mono/8 ohms

Should I be bridge it for one channel and pick up another one of these?

Sorry If I'm hijacking your thread!
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsmm View Post
I have a Bryston 2B-LP Amplifier that I was planning on using with my NS10's. Is this too low in power to use? I haven't tried yet cuz I have to replace a woofer and tweeter.

It's rated at:
60w per ch/8 ohms
100w per ch/4 ohms
200w bridged mono/8 ohms

Should I be bridge it for one channel and pick up another one of these?

Sorry If I'm hijacking your thread!
i've been using it for years and it works fine for me. i've heard that it's recommended to use 2 bridged versions, but IME never had a problem really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
everytime i hear bryston amps they just sound a little too pointy in the midrange to me. i tend to like old yamaha amps. not sure of the model on them though...

jd
it's called Yamaha A100a. really hard to find nowadays, but these are designed for NS10m (or so i've heard). sounds a bit softer and mellower than Brystons to my ears. the VU's are cool too. still use it and works just fine after all these years.
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
bryston

the bigger, the better

awesome warranty too!
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

I use a vintage 1967 Crown DC300 with my NS-10.

Recently I did some radio spots for a friend and it was my first time really running my NS-10's on a project, the radio spots turned out stellar and translate well through the radio. Now I'm getting PODcast guys asking me if I would do some radio spots for them. I think a lot of it was a function of the NS-10's being difficult and by making things sound good on them, it made things translate well to other mediums.

Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

i've powered my ns-10s with an adcom for almost 20 years now. excellent combo and not a breakdown yet.
david
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Guru

For those asking about why hi powered amps are better....

NS10's are prone to blowing out their tweeters. And the woofers sometimes too. Back in the day, it wasn't unusual for a busy studio to replace drivers every couple of weeks due to the pounding these little guys took.

When you use an underpowered amp - (I think the NS10's are rated for 30 watts, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) - there is a tendancy to clip the amp when pushing the speakers to higher volumes. Clipping the amp is THE fastest way to blow components in your speakers. More juice means less chance of clipping the amp at higher volumes.

As far as sound goes, the NS10's just really sound good when they've got a lot of horsepower driving them. Put a 50w per side amp and listen to them. Then put on a 300w per side amp. The soundstage will open up. The transients will be much more clean and defined and there will be more depth of field.

I also agree with one of the above posters, the old Yamaha amps tended to sound very good on the NS10's.
Old 2nd March 2007
Crown PSA-2

Yamaha P2075.
Old 3rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
For those asking about why hi powered amps are better....

NS10's are prone to blowing out their tweeters. And the woofers sometimes too. Back in the day, it wasn't unusual for a busy studio to replace drivers every couple of weeks due to the pounding these little guys took.

When you use an underpowered amp - (I think the NS10's are rated for 30 watts, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) - there is a tendancy to clip the amp when pushing the speakers to higher volumes. Clipping the amp is THE fastest way to blow components in your speakers. More juice means less chance of clipping the amp at higher volumes.

As far as sound goes, the NS10's just really sound good when they've got a lot of horsepower driving them. Put a 50w per side amp and listen to them. Then put on a 300w per side amp. The soundstage will open up. The transients will be much more clean and defined and there will be more depth of field.

I also agree with one of the above posters, the old Yamaha amps tended to sound very good on the NS10's.

FWIW, NS10's rated power is shown below (sorry for the nasty gunk, i bought it like that; you can see there's the "fuse" mod.. it's the original NS10 with vertical type... long sold this one already tho).

furthermore, old Yamaha A100a's ratings are not that much more powerful. it's only 50W per side:

http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/yamaha/a100a.htm
http://proaudio.yamaha.co.jp/product...100a/spec.html
Attached Thumbnails
Best amp to use with Yamaha NS10m's-ns10-fuse-mod.jpg  
Old 31st December 2008
Here for the gear

Sudgen au-41
Old 31st December 2008
Gear Nut

BRYSTON 4B-ST
Old 27th June 2014
Here for the gear
Radio Shack MPA200
Old 27th June 2014
Lives for gear

I gotta go with the BRYSTON 4B-ST. I had a Samson Servo many years ago and even though it was convection cooled, it wasn't until I got a real amp that I realized how bad the Samson amps are! YIKES!

If you can't afford a BRYSTON 4B-ST, look for a used Hafler P2400 or 3000 on Ebay.
Old 27th June 2014
Lives for gear

Yammy pc2002m. Nothing comes close
Old 27th June 2014
Lives for gear

Have to agree the pc2002's are great on the tens.. The studio in at has a Bryson too that was on the tens for a short while. Sounded pretty harsh to me. Two things pushing mids.. Ouch!
Old 27th June 2014
Lives for gear

i have used the following on ns10s:

bryston 4bsst
yamaha p2200
yamaha p2201
yamaha p2100
halfer 3000

the yamahas are my faves but i do like the bryston a lot as well.

ej
Old 27th June 2014
Deleted User
When I had NS10's the Bryston 4bsst etc.. didn't sound as good to me as the old Yamaha 2000 amps - the weight
on the Yamaha's were crazy though..
Old 27th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quad 405 here
Old 28th June 2014
Gear Maniac

what about Yamaha XP1000
I recently bought a pair of NS-10 but I haven´t plugged them so I´m curious.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search