The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL LSR4328P Setup question Studio Monitors
Old 2nd November 2016
Here for the gear

JBL LSR4328P Setup question

Hello,
I'm posting this here because this seems like the place where I could find folks most knowledgeable about these monitors.

For about 7 years or so I have had a Pair of 4328's and a 4312 Sub as my computer listening setup. The JBL Pro tech guys said this was overkill. I said it depends on what the definition of over kill is I suppose. Or as Einstein would say, Everything is Relative...

So I decided to move these into a room and get 3 more 4328s and set them up in 5.1 to use with DTS and DD, etc for a Theater/TV setup. I found out that COAX SPDIF and AES/EBU is only stereo and I would have to do Analog to do Dolby Digital Surround Sound.

So I started looking at Preamp/Processors that would output XLR. I've settled on Integra 80.6. It has a Calibration software builtin called AccuEQ, they dropped Audyssey some time ago.

So I'm trying to get some idea how you guys would setup this system, you know, if you were forced to

1) Should I reset to defaults on all the monitors and do the RMC?
2) Should I not use the RMC at all and use the AccuEQ builtin to the Integra?
(that most people aren't happy with compared to Audyssey)
3) Should I reset, do the RMC, and then use AccuEQ?
4) How should I set the volume on the JBLs? All the way up and control output with the preamp?
5) Should I run all 6 outputs from the Pre/Pro to the sub and then send the outputs to the satellites from the sub so that the sub does the JBL bass management stuff or just run direct off the Pre/Pro and not use the JBL bass management?
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

I've since upgraded to Barefoot & ProAc, but still kept my much-liked JBL LSR4326s & 4328P sub. I got very used to them and believe these are really good monitors, except for the "residue" issue (I.e the original velvet-like surface finish that degraded over time & got sticky).

I always setup the RMC because 1) it really worked well in my previous room, achieving better clarity, and 2) it's very easy to toggle RMC on & off. E.g., if I wanted to mix with just stereo L/R without the sub (which was most of the time).

I would always utilize bass management, routing into the sub first because, 1) JBL designed a great bass management system that I liked a lot, and 2) it makes it easy to switch RMC on or off. (I.e. you're required to connect to the sub first if you want to use RMC).

I never setup a 5.1 system or used the other stuff mentioned. But, I'd still feel fine using the LSRs and the system as intended.

I would likely use a monitor controller to control this setup (volume, routing, etc), rather than a preamp. My favs are the Grace m905 and the little (but mighty) m920.

You can always compare between your setups and decide HW to keep things hooked up going forward.

Good luck!

Old 3rd November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
I've since upgraded to Barefoot & ProAc, but still kept my much-liked JBL LSR4326s & 4328P sub. I got very used to them and believe these are really good monitors, except for the "residue" issue (I.e the original velvet-like surface finish that degraded over time & got sticky).
Thanx for the info!

I just tried to remove that goo off mine today.

I went straight to Olive Oil and it wiped it off very easily. I was amazed!

That is definitely the stuff to remove it with.

I was very skeptical, but it takes it off so easy, that I think the stuff on Ebay is basically the same stuff or working in the same way. Olive Oil is also everything he says his chemical is as well. Green, non-toxic, safe, etc

I'm going to do a comprehensive video about how to get this stuff off in High Resolution including the dis assembly of the monitors.

I'm going to try 409 and Rubbing Alcohol as well just for completeness for the Video, but the Olive Oil was amazing.

I found the Olive Oil stuff here in these forums. Goo gone and it's various Analogs have ruined plastic for me in the past, totally melted it, so I have not tried it and won't be trying it.

On the setup, since you can engage and disengage the RMC so easy, I'll do the RMC and do the AccuEQ. I think both can be toggled on and off without loosing the settings. They might do well together.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Hey, nice tip with the olive oil, thanks! I still need to go through this cleaning process. They're in their original boxes since moving a couple years back. I was planning to revisit this issue and read through that long "my JBLs are sticky" thread to try and recall what the best solution was to clean the residue off.

Being Italian, using olive oil just makes sense! Btw, that video you mentioned making would be really cool!

Old 3rd November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey, nice tip with the olive oil, thanks! I still need to go through this cleaning process. They're in their original boxes since moving a couple years back. I was planning to revisit this issue and read through that long "my JBLs are sticky" thread to try and recall what the best solution was to clean the residue off.

Being Italian, using olive oil just makes sense! Btw, that video you mentioned making would be really cool!

Don't be skeptical of the Olive Oil, it really works like a charm.

I'm going to do my 2 with the Olive oil, then clean the oil off with some alcohol.

That way no scratching or whatnot, no scouring pads. All I used was paper towels and the oil.

I make pretty good(detailed) videos.
Old 4th November 2016
goo gone cleans em like nobody's business.

for 5.1 it shouldn't be too hard to compare jbl rmc vs. whatever other system you are using. I'd think the built in rmc in the jbl's would work better though. for volume I'd set it to the highest level you'd want to go, maybe around -5 or -10 then control the volume from whatever you feeding them from. at least thats what I do. I never change the volume on the speakers themselves. I have the sub too by the way. Makes the speakers much more accurate imo. The low end on these sucks without the sub, but with the sub its about as good as I can see a need for. I've heard using 2 subs is even better.
Attached Thumbnails
JBL LSR4328P Setup question-10549828_430200783787600_83727820_n.jpg  
Old 4th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
I've heard using 2 subs is even better.
Kinda like more Cowbell...

Thanx!
Old 4th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
Kinda like more Cowbell...

Thanx!
lol no seriously people have recommended me a 2.2 setup, i have for sure heard on gearslutz 2.2 is where its at. Where your getting full range down to the subs for each channel. not sure about using 5.2 though or if it's even possible
Old 4th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
lol no seriously people have recommended me a 2.2 setup, i have for sure heard on gearslutz 2.2 is where its at. Where your getting full range down to the subs for each channel. not sure about using 5.2 though or if it's even possible
The LSR4312SP will send signal to Sub2, it has an output. So 5.2 is Builin to it.
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

Lol, double dippin deep end...

The 4328P subs are really nice, so that would be a powerful setup! If you have the space, why not!

The LSR4326s I used really benefited from the sub. But, even without, they have such a nice focused stereo image when everything's all setup & dialed in. Great for mixing. I'd imagine a 5.1 or .2 setup with the 8s would be amazing.

Old 5th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Lol, double dippin deep end...

The 4328P subs are really nice, so that would be a powerful setup! If you have the space, why not!

The LSR4326s I used really benefited from the sub. But, even without, they have such a nice focused stereo image when everything's all setup & dialed in. Great for mixing. I'd imagine a 5.1 or .2 setup with the 8s would be amazing.

2 Subs?

I keep lookin' in the mirror and saying don't listen to these guys...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search