The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT
Old 2nd November 2016
Old 3rd November 2016
Gear Guru

Kind of interesting that KT is starting a line of vintage clones. I don't doubt they sound good, they're a solid company.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Kind of interesting that KT is starting a line of vintage clones. I don't doubt they sound good, they're a solid company.
Didn't behringer acquire KT along with Midas? Seems like we're seeing a bunch of companies follow Warm Audio's path of making low-cost clones of classic gear and get a slice of the pie. If it's anything like the chinese-made K67 condenser mic fad the market is going to get really oversaturated really quickly.
Old 3rd November 2016
Not sure, but I just started this thread a couple of nights ago:

Anybody heard this 1176 variant yet?

Seems that unit is streeting for around $600 us.
Old 3rd November 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Didn't behringer acquire KT along with Midas? Seems like we're seeing a bunch of companies follow Warm Audio's path of making low-cost clones of classic gear and get a slice of the pie. If it's anything like the chinese-made K67 condenser mic fad the market is going to get really oversaturated really quickly.
I believe they did. I like to hope they kept the smart people.

Warm has kind of set the new affordable quality outboard bar, haven't they?
Old 3rd November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
As long as the clones sound good, I have no problems with competition and more choices. I grew up not being able to afford good gear, so it is like a breath of fresh air. Especially with the current studio rates today with decline of label investment into acts etc.

Makes it hard to justify rack after rack of high end gear sometimes.

It's when the clones start sounding like as* that the saturated market starts to suck. Weeding through 15 units to find one that sounds good blows...I agree with you there.

I guess like I said in other thread, try before ya buy.

Thanks for the heads up on this one!
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Any info about those MIDAS-transformers out there ? Supposed to be in their 1176 clone as well...
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
Any info about those MIDAS-transformers out there ? Supposed to be in their 1176 clone as well...
Behringer has indeed bought out both Midas & KlarkTeknik, and so they now have the legal right to not only use the KT name, but also to call any damn transformer they choose to sell as a "Midas Transformer".

What they choose to do with this legal ability remains to be seen.

(I've not yet had the opportunity to check 'em out for myself.)
Old 4th November 2016
Lives for gear

Back in the day transformers used in Midas Consoles were made by Sowter, UK. Klark did use Sowters as well as Lundahls (IIRC). So guess what "Midas Transformers" means in the sense of Music Group....
Old 4th November 2016
I used EAR (Esoteric Audio Research) Pultec clones 30 years ago. Made in the UK, they even looked the same. KT is a little late to that party.
Old 5th November 2016
True, but Tim's stuff didn't cost $600 either.
Old 22nd December 2016
Jai guru deva om

Street price is $699 on the Klark Teknik EQP-KT, and the announced ship date is first week of January in our hands at ZenPro Audio. Excited to check them out for sure, nice looking and the feature set looks correct.

War
Old 10th January 2017
Jai guru deva om

The Klark Teknik EQP-KT is now in stock and shipping, you can hear it alongside many other equalizers in our Clipalator EQ folder:

Clipalator Audio and Video for Pro Audio Gear @ ZenPro Audio

Very attractive piece, so far so good, and build quality on these new Klark Teknik pieces has thus far been solid.

War
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The Klark Teknik EQP-KT is now in stock and shipping, you can hear it alongside many other equalizers in our Clipalator EQ folder:

Very attractive piece, so far so good, and build quality on these new Klark Teknik pieces has thus far been solid.

War
Well i guess the obvious question is how do you think these stack up against the warm audio pultecs? Sound quality as good , better, worse? And build quality? I know the warm is good , but seemed to miss the mark a little to some users. Wonder if the kt did any better
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Nut

Samsung bought Harman, all the mentioned brands would be Samsung, doesn't really mean much
who owns who, probably 80% of modern gear comes from the same 3 factories
but sure thing, these look a lot better than the Warm stuff
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe they did. I like to hope they kept the smart people.

Warm has kind of set the new affordable quality outboard bar, haven't they?
Probably (hopefully?) a new generation.

Terry Clarke, the technical brains behind KT left in the '90s and started MC2 Audio amplifiers with Ian McCarthy who started EAR with Tim.

The people who did KTs digital stuff left to start XTA.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMixOTB View Post
Samsung bought Harman, all the mentioned brands would be Samsung, doesn't really mean much
who owns who, probably 80% of modern gear comes from the same 3 factories
but sure thing, these look a lot better than the Warm stuff
By what metric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
Probably (hopefully?) a new generation.

Terry Clarke, the technical brains behind KT left in the '90s and started MC2 Audio amplifiers with Ian McCarthy who started EAR with Tim.

The people who did KTs digital stuff left to start XTA.
Well, I hope the new crop is good.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post

War
In the clipator the Warm Audio pultec sounded softer/warmer.

Other settings ? I think it is quite difficult anyway to match them, as same settings will not respond the same. So this doesn't mean anything possibly..

Or how do you see it War, having experience with both of them.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Geez, the manual just reeks of Berhringer looks like some Roland Boutique type check sheet. Skimping heavily on the manual!
No doubt there!
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Geez, the manual just reeks of Berhringer looks like some Roland Boutique type check sheet. Skimping heavily on the manual!
No doubt there!
I know Pultecs aren't quite typical in design or interface, but how much manual do you need for an EQ?
Old 13th January 2017
Anyone have a picture of its guts? Sounds pretty good on the Clipalator. I do like the brushed aluminum face plate, but in the end it is all about sound. The chunky switches are nice too.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Guru

Looks pretty good. The really interesting thing to me about Warm and Klark Teknik etc, is they are competing very well with DIY project prices. I think that's a great service to the audio community at large. Not everybody wants to learn how to build and solder.
Old 13th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Looks pretty good. The really interesting thing to me about Warm and Klark Teknik etc, is they are competing very well with DIY project prices. I think that's a great service to the audio community at large. Not everybody wants to learn how to build and solder.
Agreed. I freaking HATE to solder.
Old 14th January 2017
Gotta remember....it's $600-700. I know, so is the WARM.

From those clips, it sounds WAY better than it should.

Great creative guitar part, which helps. Cello sounds good, as does bass. The warm might take it on vocals and full mix?

Sounds pretty damn usable to me. Dare I say it? Better than some plugins?

The warm might sound a little better but the KT does have a cool "excitement" / exciter thing going on though as well in the top. Maybe not as silky, but cool nonetheless.

From the clips I'd use it.

Pultecs are one of those things that even at their market low, have always been expensive.

Gotta love 2017. At least this affordable gear part of it. Everything else sucks about it though.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Guru

This is interesting. In the Clipalator, I thought the Klark Teknik sounded significantly better than the Warm. I only listened to a few of the sources but the Bass and the Full Mix really stood out to me. The KT just sounds more transparent. Clearer highs and smoother lows.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know Pultecs aren't quite typical in design or interface, but how much manual do you need for an EQ?
Well that depends on the laser trimmed circuitry and SMD design I guess, considering the music group feel $1399.00 is appropriate I'd rather grab a Tegler or TubeTech not that it's required. Have you seen inside these units? I'd want schematics at that price or a PDF!
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is interesting. In the Clipalator, I thought the Klark Teknik sounded significantly better than the Warm. I only listened to a few of the sources but the Bass and the Full Mix really stood out to me. The KT just sounds more transparent. Clearer highs and smoother lows.
Is transparent what anyone's looking for in a Pultec style EQ? That said, I'm not trying to belittle your opinion, just thinking of perception. Maybe the musicality of a Pultec with a more transparent outcome is actually a genius idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Well that depends on the laser trimmed circuitry and SMD design I guess, considering the music group feel $1399.00 is appropriate I'd rather grab a Tegler or TubeTech not that it's required. Have you seen inside these units? I'd want schematics at that price or a PDF!
I can see wanting a schematic, for future repair and such. When I see 'manual' I think of a guide on operation, hence my comment.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Is transparent what anyone's looking for in a Pultec style EQ? That said, I'm not trying to belittle your opinion, just thinking of perception. Maybe the musicality of a Pultec with a more transparent outcome is actually a genius idea.
You know, I really don't know at all. Maybe Bob Ohlsson or someone with lots of experience can tell us what a real Pultec actually sounds like.

Personally speaking, clarity, and especially high end clarity, is something I obsess over in my equipment. Mic preamps, microphones, any of them. So I would look at an EQ with the same ear for transparency. That's just what I want to hear. If something sounds closed off, or boxy in any way, I get really frustrated.

For all I know, the Warm could be more authentic. It did sound a little closer to my UAD MK II Pultec than the KT did. Also this is streaming off the Clipalator, not a setup in my own possession.

I have never even touched a real hardware Pultec, let alone a hardware Pultec clone. My only experience is with the plugin versions.

So I honestly have no idea what to look for, other than what just sounds good to me.
Old 16th January 2017
Quote:
It does sound clearer, but a little harder on top maybe too.

Pick your poison I guess.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
It does sound clearer, but a little harder on top maybe too.

Pick your poison I guess.
This was also my feeling. I was a little bit disappointed. For me it was thinner and a tad on the harsh side sounding. But again: From what I heard even to original pultecs were not sounding identically. So I think it's very difficult to match settings. I would be happy, if the Klark Teknik sounded as good as the warm audio, as the Klark is a tad cheaper in Europe and doesn't have a wall wart. I tolerate one for my wonderful Audient iD22, but not more, as it is a misery on a plugbar and the contacts break easily after a while.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search