Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Emi
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Forgot to reply to this.

I have photos from Emi for the wiring. They show you where all the wires go. You basically need to solder wires to the Carnhills and the PCB/connectors. Pretty straightforward if you follow the photos.

The other thing is disassembling the unit, taking out the old transformers (the input trafo was a nuisance to get off the PCB), and drilling new holes for the Carnhills in the side of the casing.

If @ Emi is okay with it, I could post the photos here in the thread and then provide info for doing the other steps. I've already removed the old transformers in mine and drilled holes, so I don't really want to do a video. But maybe a bit of a written "guide" would be good if people want it.
Sure, go ahead, please.
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Forgot to reply to this.

I have photos from Emi for the wiring. They show you where all the wires go. You basically need to solder wires to the Carnhills and the PCB/connectors. Pretty straightforward if you follow the photos.

The other thing is disassembling the unit, taking out the old transformers (the input trafo was a nuisance to get off the PCB), and drilling new holes for the Carnhills in the side of the casing.

If @ Emi is okay with it, I could post the photos here in the thread and then provide info for doing the other steps. I've already removed the old transformers in mine and drilled holes, so I don't really want to do a video. But maybe a bit of a written "guide" would be good if people want it.
One thing that would be good during this mod would be to do a pre and post frequency sweep through the unit. Otherwise the change is only subjective. Like an expencive wine... It has to be better because it cost more. Right? I believe there is some change but to validate it it takes more than just saying there is.

To do it you just need to generate sweep 20-25Khz sweep and compare the returning signals. The channel chain does not have to be characterized, the relative change is what matters. I believe all could be done with a PC.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmutant View Post
One thing that would be good during this mod would be to do a pre and post frequency sweep through the unit. Otherwise the change is only subjective. Like an expencive wine... It has to be better because it cost more. Right? I believe there is some change but to validate it it takes more than just saying there is.

To do it you just need to generate sweep 20-25Khz sweep and compare the returning signals. The channel chain does not have to be characterized, the relative change is what matters. I believe all could be done with a PC.
I can look into doing.

I'm busy until the weekend, so I'll get to it and the visual/written guide then.
Gear Maniac

Regarding the low-end.

I think it’s very controlled, and quite clear compared to warm and other clones out there. My unit goes into a burl converter, which IMO most accurately translates the low frequencies for AD/DA.

I don’t have a pultec to compare to, however from what I’ve heard, the low-end is fuller, wider on its footprint. Sounds like it might be better for individual channels, in any case, price point is at the level that two would afford you a full console of clones instead.

Mod stuff if you want a different tone, but before you do, try boosting 60 or 100hz on this thing at 4-5 for a bass or kick drum.... and it’s almost always a tight, yet huge sound.

I have a third one now, so maybe I’ll tinker with it; however, I think this unit proves there are some gems in the “entry level” world that stock sound great. I will say, I’ve had to change one unit’s tubes out, and one unit is out of phase with the other two... that’s the quality control part of things.

A tube is a tube, a transformer is a transformer. Voltage is voltage. At some point the old titans like Pultec will need to find a way to keep their quality, but bring their price down to compete for larger market shares.

My monitoring is excellent, I have access to much more expensive eqs, and these hang with the rest.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't think it's fair to compare an EQP-KT to a vintage pultec without actually having used one.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare an EQP-KT to a vintage pultec without actually having used one.
Fair, I’m just guessing the differences are probably subjective, rather than an objective higher-fidelity.

But, maybe I’m wrong.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Fair, I’m just guessing the differences are probably subjective, rather than an objective higher-fidelity.

But, maybe I’m wrong.
I agree with you completely. Brand name Pultec is rare air special circumstance gear at this point. There has to be something for the rest of us. Whether it's DIY, KT, or a plugin or anything people can afford.

The closest I have come is to use some original Triad transformers in different gear. I believe the original Pultec used some Triad transformer if I'm not mistaken. The reason I mention it, is because the ones I have used in direct boxes are "special." Compared to common brand name modern parts. It's subjective, but subjectively "good" to my ears.

But I'm sure someone will figure that out too.

The Sweetwater shootout I guess showed how far apart these clones can be, hardware and/or plugins. Someone on gearslutz added on the plugin files to go with that shootout, it's how I ended up with the Noise Ash Rule Tec.

Whatever the Pultec "is" is a moving target at this point. But one would have to think that if someone had a good specimen of a really old original one, that would be the gold standard to measure them all against. Whether that's what people really need or not in their own studios.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I built a stereo solid state Pultec with Triad HS-56 transformers in and out, and it really isn't tremendously more magic.than a KT. If you think it's bass shy, just keep a a couple of clicks of bass boost in place.all the time.

The Sweetwater shootout was a joke. A ploy to sell expensive gear by posting files with the units with higher profit margins a dB or so louder than the KT.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Whatever the Pultec "is" is a moving target at this point.
Agreed. At this point, I really don't NEED a pultec. SOMEtimesI like the style of boost / cut when EQ-ing though, but there are many paths to that at this point where there used to be few options.
Old 5th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Apologies for being a week late on this, but here's a guide for the Carnhill transformer mod.

I've laid it out the steps in parts a (general tips and prep), b (removing old trafos and installing new ones), and c (wiring), and then my impressions of the mod at the end. I've already given some before/after files in this thread, so check them out if you want to hear what it sounds like.

The transformers that I used were Carnhill VTB 2281 for both the input and output. I suppose you could use any 600:600 transformers. I got them from Audio Maintenance: http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acat...nded_info.html

If anything is unclear, I can update the guide. Or if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks to user Emi for doing the mod in the first place, and for providing the wiring info and photos.

Part a.
I recommend using an adjustable temperature soldering iron. The old input transformer is difficult to remove because there's a lot of solder on it and the pcb. So, a fairly large iron tip that gets really hot will allow you to heat up and remove most of the solder on the input transformer.

Use a solder sucker/pump to remove the old solder. You can look up videos for how to do this, and it's pretty straightforward. It will be a lot easier with a good sucker to get all that old solder off.

You'll need a metal drill bit and power drill to drill new holes in the hardware chassis to install the new transformers. Just make sure the screws that you use fit the new transformers, and match the drill bit size to screw size. I also used washers on each side of the screws to hold them in place.

Make sure to look at all the screws in the chassis to see what screwdrivers you need to disassemble the unit. There are a few different screw types from what I recall. There are a bunch of torx screws, so it's good to have a torx screwdriver set. Or bring the unit to the hardware store and find what screwdrivers you need if you don't already have them.

Part b.
The output transformer is easy to remove because you just need to unplug the pins and unscrew it (from what I remember). The input is much more difficult because it's mounted on a pcb. I removed this pcb so I could get to it on the bottom. Use the solder sucker to get as much solder off as you can.

I ended using a metal chisel to wedge between the bottom of the old input transformer and the pcb so that I could pry it out. There was no other way for me to get it out ... so you may need to do this as well.

Once the old transformers are out, you can see where you want to mount to the new transformers. You'll have to mount them on the wall of the chassis. You can see how Emi mounted his in the "overall" picture showing both transformers. I mounted mine slightly differently. It doesn't really matter. I tried to avoid getting to close to the power supply in case of noise issues.

Mark where you want to drill your holes and use the metal drill bit. This was a bit tricky if you're not super experienced, so be careful and get a second helping hand from someone else if you can! Mount the new transformers.

Part c.
Here's how you wire everything. Use the photos as a reference.

Input transformer:
Wire A
- red goes to pin 1
- white goes to pin 3
- bridge (connect) pin 2 and 4 on the transformer
Wire B
- red goes to pin 5
- white goes to pin 8
- bridge (connect) pin 6 and 7 on the transformer

Output transformer:
Wire C
- red goes to 4
- white goes to 3
Wire D
- red goes to pin 8
- white goes to pin 5
- silver (ground) goes to pin 6
- bridge pins 6 and 7
Wire E (feedback loop)
- red goes to pin 2
- white goes to pin 1

My impressions on the mod:
I really love the mod, and I've used these units a ton. They become a slight bit brighter, and the low end/low mids tighten up a bit. It's possible they measure less low mids, but I'm not really sure. The boxtone is a bit less "boring" to me and a bit more characterful than before, but this is really subjective anyway. This is just my impression by using my ears only.

I think the EQP is great even before the mod, so I'm not saying the mod is necessary at all. It's just a different sound, and a fun project if you like to tinker and try out new configurations.

I'm going to look into doing a sweep soon of the unit and frequency/THD plots. I'm not really sure how to do this yet, however, so I'll need to figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT-thumbnail_pastedimagebase640.jpg   Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT-thumbnail_pastedimagebase641.jpg   Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT-thumbnail_pastedimagebase642.jpg   Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT-thumbnail_pastedimagebase643.jpg  
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Someone on gearslutz added on the plugin files to go with that shootout, it's how I ended up with the Noise Ash Rule Tec.
I picked up the Rule Tec too from that shoot out. Now I have the NoiseAsh Rule Tec too and quite frankly, I love it, but I like to track with some slight compression and EQ when needed, so I'm thinking on pulling the trigger on the EQP-KT.

Have you or anyone else compared the EQP-KT side by side with the Rule Tec? If so, what were your impressions? I'm dead curious to know.
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrphicTrench View Post
I picked up the Rule Tec too from that shoot out. Now I have the NoiseAsh Rule Tec too and quite frankly, I love it, but I like to track with some slight compression and EQ when needed, so I'm thinking on pulling the trigger on the EQP-KT.

Have you or anyone else compared the EQP-KT side by side with the Rule Tec? If so, what were your impressions? I'm dead curious to know.
I never got a chance to compare them back to back.

The only A/B I really did with the EQP-KT was with the Lindell 500 series 'pultec' PEX-500.

The conclusion was that they were "both good."

I ended up selling all four of them. I have a really hard time holding onto hardware. But those were some of the better hardware EQ's I've owned.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
https://www.telefunken-elektroakusti...ecc83-tk-12ax7

has anyone tried these on the kt eqp ??
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by makasi View Post
https://www.telefunken-elektroakusti...ecc83-tk-12ax7

has anyone tried these on the kt eqp ??
They might be already in the KT just with a different print on the tube
Today's "Telefunken" has nothing in common with the original Telefunken company. Some blokes bought the right to use the name. That's all
Think, putting PanAm stickers on model planes
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Then what would be the lushest and affordable pair of tubes for the rap my? I am thinking for mixbuss/ mastering duties
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
@ makasi - My personal opinion is I would not consider this a unit for mixbuss / mastering. This is a fine EQ for using along with a 3U Audio Warbler microphone to flavor a track. Use it on bass guitar, a guitar, drums, etc. It's just not a "finishing touch" EQ.

That being said- when I looked at your link, I opened the data sheet and it appears these are virtually the same as the JJ's. Get some matched/balanced JJ's and I am guessing it will be the same tubes basically.

For "flavor" tubes, try finding some NOS RCA or Raytheon. I put Raytheons in mine and they sound good. Look in your area for some old HAM radio guys... they ALWAYS have hoard stashes of old tubes.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
to those that are switching the transformers, what are you doing with the old MIDAS transformers? I've been looking around for transformers to build a breakout box to use with my Orban 622b. Not sure Edcor is good enough; not sure I can afford Jensen JT-11. Just curious if these may be 'viable' transformers and if any of you have a handful to sell cheap.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
thanks!
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbrchckn View Post
@ makasi - My personal opinion is I would not consider this a unit for mixbuss / mastering. This is a fine EQ for using along with a 3U Audio Warbler microphone to flavor a track. Use it on bass guitar, a guitar, drums, etc. It's just not a "finishing touch" EQ.

That being said- when I looked at your link, I opened the data sheet and it appears these are virtually the same as the JJ's. Get some matched/balanced JJ's and I am guessing it will be the same tubes basically.

For "flavor" tubes, try finding some NOS RCA or Raytheon. I put Raytheons in mine and they sound good. Look in your area for some old HAM radio guys... they ALWAYS have hoard stashes of old tubes.
The eqp-kt sound great on mix-bus imo.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Don't get me wrong- everyone's needs are different. For me personally I would not use it on mixbuss / mastering because the controls just aren't precise enough for me. The size is also prohibitive for my needs- 4 rack spaces is a bit much to waste in my limited footprint. Lastly it's getting into the realm of being cost prohibitive. Rough cost for 2 modded EQP's is pushing $1000- ($300- per unit, maybe $100- per tube upgrade, xformers? yeah 1k for 2 easy)

Last year I missed a chance at an SPL Qure for that much. There are also some good Drawmer options at roughly that price range (used of course on both)

I do like this EQ, but my preference is as tracking flavor.
📝 Reply