The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierofonix View Post
I still think the hardware has some advantages. For example, the low boost on the plugin can get a bit flabby, whereas the EQP-KT stays tight and controlled even when with a fair amount of boost (although I think the plugin allows a little more boost). It depends on the source to some degree too.

The UAD-2 plugs are great, and I am not going to stop using them, but the hardware has its own vibe that I am planning to take maximum advantage of.
I figured you were using Legacy if you found more mojo with the KT as Legacy doesn’t model transformer distortion. But now that you mention flabiness with the plugin thats pretty typical of Pultec 1950s transformer distortion that UAD2 models. How would you describe the mojo you are hearing with KT?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
I figured you were using Legacy if you found more mojo with the KT as Legacy doesn’t model transformer distortion. But now that you mention flabiness with the plugin thats pretty typical of Pultec 1950s transformer distortion that UAD2 models. How would you describe the mojo you are hearing with KT?
In words? Ooh, that's a tough one.

I have made a few quick audio sample. 256 kbps MP4 files, so I don't know how obvious the difference will be when uploaded, but I can hear the difference here, even in AAC form.

This should probably be done with a live recording, but here's a simple (very) 8-bar piano track I just recorded using the Waves Rhapsody Piano.

Three files:

* DryPiano.m4a is, as the name suggests, just the dry piano. No processing (other than the processing on the Rhapsody Piano samples).

* EQP_UAD2.m4a is the same piano track through the UAD-2 EQP-1A plugin. No EQ applied, just going through the model.

* EQP_KT.m4a is the same piano track printed via the EQP-KT hardware, EQ bypassed. Same situation as the UAD-2 track.

Notes: Both the UAD-2 plugin and EQP-KT hardware boost the level of the signal somewhat. I have not changed levels at all. Also, levels are all somewhere around -18 dBFS so you might have to crank 'em up to hear clearly. I didn’t want to add any “maximizing” on the output bus.

Here’s what I’m hearing

UAD-2 EQP-1A: the plug-in seems to emphasize the low mids more than the hardware. But at the same time the low mids sound a bit compressed. The overall impression is “weightier” than the hardware, and whether that is a good thing is kinda subjective, methinks. I find it a bit too “thumpy,” for lack of a more appropriate adjective.

EQP-KT hardware: The EQP-KT seems to emphasize the upper mids more than the plugin, it also adds a bit of a high-end sheen that I like. In general, the mids-highs sound “prettier” to me, and that’s about the best I can describe it. Not as compressed sounding as the plugin either.

I really have no idea how these files are going to translate on the forum, but here goes anyway …
Attached Files

DryPiano.m4a (743.3 KB, 1433 views)

EQP_UAD2.m4a (743.4 KB, 1416 views)

EQP_KT.m4a (743.4 KB, 1404 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Are those audio files working for you guys?

Looks a bit fishy to me. If they're not I'll try a different format.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are those audio files working for you guys?

Looks a bit fishy to me. If they're not I'll try a different format.
They are working. They sound kinda janky though (internet compression guessing). I like the KT file the best.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
They are working. They sound kinda janky though (internet compression guessing). I like the KT file the best.
Weird ... I can't get them to play via the forum at all. Might be better to upload to my Soundcloud.
Old 4 weeks ago
OK, same files as above, except they're 44.1 kHz WAV.

Let's see if they're any less "janky" (and if I can even play them).
Maybe the Rhapsody Piano is just kinda janky without any help (because there really isn't any processing on these, other than the flat EQPs).

EDIT: Yup, these I can play.
Attached Files

DryPiano.wav (3.68 MB, 1891 views)

EQP_UAD2.wav (3.68 MB, 1864 views)

EQP-KT.wav (3.68 MB, 1880 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
I've just received a pair of KT Pultecs, brand new from Andertons here is the UK. One of them is passing extremely low level signal. The signal is affected by the EQ dials but at a seriously reduced level. Same issue in bypass. Obviously tried the same insert cable, on the same mixer channel as the one that works fine so it's definitely the unit.

Sending it back obviously but has anyone else bought a KT Pultec with the same issue?
Old 3 weeks ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeeignet View Post
I've just received a pair of KT Pultecs, brand new from Andertons here is the UK. One of them is passing extremely low level signal. The signal is affected by the EQ dials but at a seriously reduced level. Same issue in bypass. Obviously tried the same insert cable, on the same mixer channel as the one that works fine so it's definitely the unit.

Sending it back obviously but has anyone else bought a KT Pultec with the same issue?
Tubes are broken. Just change them or send it back.
Old 3 weeks ago
Miraculously, my second EQP-KT arrived today, and just as miraculously, it works. Still waiting on a replacement for the DOA 76-KT though.

Now that I have a pair it might be worth making some samples on a full mix with more comprehensive frequency content, as opposed to my previous effort which was basically kludged up from a mono source.
Old 3 weeks ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Miraculously, my second EQP-KT arrived today, and just as miraculously, it works. Still waiting on a replacement for the DOA 76-KT though.

Now that I have a pair it might be worth making some samples on a full mix with more comprehensive frequency content, as opposed to my previous effort which was basically kludged up from a mono source.
That would be awesome!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I received my pair today and I'm using them on the mix bus. Love them so far for the subtle warm sound. Curious if they will warm up even more after they break in?
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Having two of them on my mixbus. Rock solid!

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
OK, same files as above, except they're 44.1 kHz WAV.

Let's see if they're any less "janky" (and if I can even play them).
Maybe the Rhapsody Piano is just kinda janky without any help (because there really isn't any processing on these, other than the flat EQPs).

EDIT: Yup, these I can play.
The KT-76 is the clear winner here.
Go home folks, nothing left to see...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared with AA purple?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So I also purchased the KT EQP on the risk to be disappointed after some comments I red about the high freq. band.

Good thing first. The low end is great, the low end trick will work perfectly well on Bass, Kick a.s.o. Nothing not to like there !

The not so good thing: People were right about the high freq. Band. For me as a guitar player for acoustics there it is where the money should be.
I used Ignites free vst plugin https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pteq-x-by-ignite-amps a lot in the last 2 years and did whole mixes just using that EQ on my guitars.

I think its the first time I have to say, that I prefer a plugin over the hardware. The KT-EQP gets harsh or for a lack of better words sizzling very fast. Boosting more than level 3 makes this thing a sizzling machine where you feel the need to do a lot of de-essing after.
Pitty. Either I find a way to mod it or it has to go back to the musicstore. Had been to good to be true.

Of course its cheap like crazy. I never worked with a real pultec, but from what I read and know from working with the plugin, a pultec is a high freq. sweatener, smoother, making thinkgs sound like butter. With the mentioned plugin I can boost much more on the high freq. and it never sounds harsh nor sizzling.

I read smth. that the Klark Teknik doesn't reproduce the real curves like a pultec. I needed this thing for the high freq. band more than for the low end.

Very open for mod inputs here, even if this will end the warranty.

I did some fiddling around with it here
https://www.facebook.com/LarsTaylorM...426230829/?t=4
Thanks and all the best

Lars
Old 1 week ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Mod it, many have good results by swapping the tubes. Easy mod
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Are the tubes soldered?
Old 1 week ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
Are the tubes soldered?
No, they have sockets. Easy swapping
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulguitar View Post
So I also purchased the KT EQP on the risk to be disappointed after some comments I red about the high freq. band.

Good thing first. The low end is great, the low end trick will work perfectly well on Bass, Kick a.s.o. Nothing not to like there !

The not so good thing: People were right about the high freq. Band. For me as a guitar player for acoustics there it is where the money should be.
I used Ignites free vst plugin https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pteq-x-by-ignite-amps a lot in the last 2 years and did whole mixes just using that EQ on my guitars.

I think its the first time I have to say, that I prefer a plugin over the hardware. The KT-EQP gets harsh or for a lack of better words sizzling very fast. Boosting more than level 3 makes this thing a sizzling machine where you feel the need to do a lot of de-essing after.
Pitty. Either I find a way to mod it or it has to go back to the musicstore. Had been to good to be true.

Of course its cheap like crazy. I never worked with a real pultec, but from what I read and know from working with the plugin, a pultec is a high freq. sweatener, smoother, making thinkgs sound like butter. With the mentioned plugin I can boost much more on the high freq. and it never sounds harsh nor sizzling.

I read smth. that the Klark Teknik doesn't reproduce the real curves like a pultec. I needed this thing for the high freq. band more than for the low end.

Very open for mod inputs here, even if this will end the warranty.

I did some fiddling around with it here
https://www.facebook.com/LarsTaylorM...426230829/?t=4
Thanks and all the best

Lars
I put NOS JAN GEs in my 2 EQPs. Smoothed out the top.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are the tubes soldered?
When Apple buys them out, and triples the price, they will solder the tubes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, they have sockets. Easy swapping
I never did a mod on any unit I own but this sounds very interesting. What socket would you suggest?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
When Apple buys them out, and triples the price, they will solder the tubes.
Fully agree!
Old 1 week ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
I never did a mod on any unit I own but this sounds very interesting. What socket would you suggest?
The sockets are soldered into the circuit board. The tubes are pinned into the sockets. So you only have to pull out the tube from the socket and replace it with another of better quality.

There are plenty of posts where users have swapped the tubes, just do a search and see what sound they obtain.

The thing is tubes can reduce quality drastically if they are not of good quality. And in these cheap units tubes are...cheap too...you get the picture.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks !
I swapped tubes on my Bugera amp and on the ART PRO MPA II preamp.
On the ART PRO VLA II I've never felt to change anything, I like it the way it is.

On the ART MPA it uplifted the sound a bit but not to much. I still like much more to track with the GAP PRE 73 even with the stock transformers.

So I was not sure how much the tube swap would help the KT EQP. Would it really smoothen out the high freq. band ?

I got some soldering experience in the last years, I am also open to change more, but I don't have knowledge how to improve a circuit. But if somebody knows which components to replace, I would do it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
I put NOS JAN GEs in my 2 EQPs. Smoothed out the top.
Thank you, so I will do that first !
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulguitar View Post
thanks !
I swapped tubes on my Bugera amp and on the ART PRO MPA II preamp.
On the ART PRO VLA II I've never felt to change anything, I like it the way it is.

On the ART MPA it uplifted the sound a bit but not to much. I still like much more to track with the GAP PRE 73 even with the stock transformers.

So I was not sure how much the tube swap would help the KT EQP. Would it really smoothen out the high freq. band ?

I got some soldering experience in the last years, I am also open to change more, but I don't have knowledge how to improve a circuit. But if somebody knows which components to replace, I would do it.
As a quick aside, what did you throw in your Bugera? I have to replace mine soon I believe...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
As a quick aside, what did you throw in your Bugera? I have to replace mine soon I believe...
I have to check in my thomann order account history and will let you know or maybe I ordered them at tube amp doctor.

But in the ART PRO MPA as in the Bugera the differences where underwhelming.
Sound a bit different. Sure. Better? Subjective.

This is my general experience with tube swapping. The china tubes are not as bad as people think. Why: They have a long history in tube production.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They’re not bad for sure. I haven’t swapped them in my KT-2A, they sound fine. Small difference in my eqp so I left the nos ones in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
They’re not bad for sure. I haven’t swapped them in my KT-2A, they sound fine. Small difference in my eqp so I left the nos ones in.
I this the one ? Quite pricey..
https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/12ax7w...lvania-usa/nos
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search