The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunodrums View Post
I would like to have one to use on the kick. But seems like can’t boost on 60hz and cut 400hz.

Anybody use it on kick ?

Best!

I do. Mine stays patched on inside kick. I really like it there.
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Funny thing with mine, I just use them in bypass and I have them linked with a TK Audio unit to use them in parallel in bypass. Basically they are just a hardware harmonic exciter for me lol
Old 13th September 2019
Love mine on the mixbuss paired up with the Kush Audio Clariphonic, Audioscape Buss Compressor (SSL 4K clone), and then finished off with the Handsome Audio Zulu. Sounds great to my chain
Old 13th September 2019
I bought my 2 units months ago. Apart from testing them to make sure they functioned right I haven't used them at all and won't get to until September 2020. Can't wait!
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunodrums View Post
I would like to have one to use on the kick. But seems like can’t boost on 60hz and cut 400hz.

Anybody use it on kick ?

Best!
You could theoretically use two, one into another, for (lots) more possibilities like you are mentioning. Two of these is still cheaper than a Warm, for example.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Sweetwater shootout anomaly

I'm a bit late to the party, but I was interested in the Sweetwater shootout because I wanted to hear how Klark performs. I wrote this in the Shootout thread, but I copied it here also, since the discussion went in this direction.

There are discrepancies in volume between the samples and interestingly enough, Klark Teknik EQP-KT is 1.2dB quieter than most of them who average at -6.2dB (peak).
Here are their levels as read on Reaper's meter:

pultec 1: -6.3
pultec 2: -6.0
tubetech: -6.2
manley: -6.5
retro: -6.0
wes audio: -6.2
warm audio: -6.2
klark teknik: -7.4
apogee: -5.9
avid: -6.0
ik multimedia: -5.6
Ozone: -6.0
softube: -6.1
uad: -6.2
waves: -6.2

Sure, Klark was outclassed even by plugins, because it's 1.2dB quieter! I level matched all of them and suddenly Klark began to show its strength. It does sound different than most of them and even when level matched it sounds different than the originals, but so do others. Tubetech and WesAudio are very close to the originals, the rest of them are either more woolly or boomy when listening to the low end. Klark on the contrary is tighter and cleaner than the originals, we can say more modern sounding and in my book this is not necessarily a bad thing. It reminds me somewhat of Sonimus SonEQ Pro plugin which has the low band based on the Pultec. I fell in love with it due to sounding tighter. I can imagine two Klarks in the chain after my diy Vari-Mu which inflates the low end a bit and is a bit woolly. I wouldn't necessarily use a more boomy sounding Pultec clone after it, but Klarks could very much fit with their tighter sound.
Now, the high end. I'm very much sure that it has been boosted at least 2dB more than on other clones in this shootout. There is no way it would sound this bright at the same amount of boost.
10 years ago I've made a Gyraf two channel Pultec. I sold it, because I was not really a fan of its low-end which for my taste was a bit exaggerated and it was not easy to dial just the right amount. It was quickly too much. I do very much like the low end boost on the Klark I hear in this shootout. Maybe the original Pultec sound is not my cup of tea, but I like this cleaner and tighter version Klark Teknik have made. And for 430 EUR/pair I can only laugh and press the order button.

Just my 2 cents and a warning to scrutinize such shootouts, because even a fraction of a dB will affect your judgement, what to speak of 1dB or more.
It might be interesting to note, that IK Pultec plugin has been praised in this shootout. Of course, with 1.8dB higher level than Klark it sounds terrific and totally demolishes it!
At the end this shootout appears to me as if there was an agenda to stop the sales of the utterly cheap and competitive Klark.
And no, I don't work for KT. I just like fair comparisons when they are made.
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Addict

Yep, Alphavoyager, I discovered the same thing. The KT was competing with one hand tied behind its back.

The high end of the Klark is going to feel different than a real Pultec because the inductor doesn't have as many taps. I compared the high end to several Pultec plugs I have, and at the sharpest settings, the high end of the KT was much broader than the plugs. At the broadest setting they were about the same. Also, it boosted slightly different frequencies when boosted at the same settings. Despite this, the the KT sounds great and is still is steal.
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Nut

To any young Jedis checking out the thread considering let me tell you these things are a bargain. Use them in your Daws via external plugin mode and you'll be strutting about the place thinking your the bees knees. The most important thing you need to know is they have Vibe. If you've never used an analog EQ before you will likely feel strange at first but soon enough you will be eyeing some of your EQ plugins with a certain level of contempt.
Old 14th September 2019
They really are the Philosopher's Stone...in hardware eq form.

Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

If there is ANYTHING that I’ve gotten from Gearslutz, it’s CHECK THINGS OUT FOR MYSELF, with my material, in my room, with my workflow, through my monitors. Then I’ll make my decision on whether something makes sense for me or not. I know everyone can’t do that and some only can use shootouts. And believe me, I won’t say that I haven’t gotten ideas about what I might or might not want to check out. But I’ve made the best decisions when I checked things out for myself.
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmorris74 View Post
Yep, Alphavoyager, I discovered the same thing. The KT was competing with one hand tied behind its back.

The high end of the Klark is going to feel different than a real Pultec because the inductor doesn't have as many taps. I compared the high end to several Pultec plugs I have, and at the sharpest settings, the high end of the KT was much broader than the plugs. At the broadest setting they were about the same. Also, it boosted slightly different frequencies when boosted at the same settings. Despite this, the the KT sounds great and is still is steal.
That KT has a bit broader high boost can be seen from the graphs posted. Since I won't be doing more than a 3dB boost ever, mostly just a bit, because it would sit on my 2bus and in mastering chain, this doesn't bother me at all. Broad is good in such cases. I have to say that I've listened to a few more comparisons and what is clear is that KT sounds cleaner. The top end boost, when done conservatively opens up the mix very nicely with a nice sheen. I'd say that it has subjectively more depth and kind of makes a mix taller. I prefer it over some other clones that sound boomy and kind of congested in the low end. Probably one can boost more low end with KT due to its tightness. I'm looking forward to getting a pair in my studio and hear it in my environment and my workflow. I have a feeling they will be keepers.
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Guru

I hope Uli is doing well in Behringer City, China. I hope they are all feeling well with this kind of praise.
Old 17th September 2019
I'm sure he's feeling very flush.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I hope Uli is doing well in Behringer City, China. I hope they are all feeling well with this kind of praise.
They really need to give you your own sub-forum for hating on Behringer
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
They really need to give you your own sub-forum for hating on Behringer
nice
Old 17th September 2019
These things still seem to be selling like the proverbial hotcakes where I'm at. They had been out of stock for months, and then last night suddenly appeared "in stock" at my usual online supplier. If there are only one or two in stock there's usually a yellow-flagged "stock low" notice. But it was green-flag "in stock" status so I figured it was time to pounce. I ordered two (they're sorta like peanuts in that you can't just just have one ). But by the time I had done the necessary clicking there was only one left!!

So I have one coming and one on order ... which could be a long wait. Damn.

I hemmed and hawed over this one for way too long, but after taking all the pros and cons and glowing reports and dismissals (and outright trolling) into account, I think the average points to the likelihood that the EQP-KT is actually a useful studio tool, notwithstanding anguished cries of "yeah, but it doesn't sound exactly like a real Pultec" from the gallery. I have couple of KT-76s coming at the same time, so I'll be all KT-ed out for a while. Gonna need more rack space.
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierofonix View Post
These things still seem to be selling like the proverbial hotcakes where I'm at.
They look good and they're cheap as chips. I drive around in my car with mine in the front passenger seat propped up on a box so it can see out the window.

Old 17th September 2019
Gear Guru

It's a mind-blowing product. Be as picky as you care.
Old 17th September 2019
It makes my other eq's look like hobos
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
These things still seem to be selling like the proverbial hotcakes where I'm at. They had been out of stock for months, and then last night suddenly appeared "in stock" at my usual online supplier. If there are only one or two in stock there's usually a yellow-flagged "stock low" notice. But it was green-flag "in stock" status so I figured it was time to pounce. I ordered two (they're sorta like peanuts in that you can't just just have one ). But by the time I had done the necessary clicking there was only one left!!

So I have one coming and one on order ... which could be a long wait. Damn.

I hemmed and hawed over this one for way too long, but after taking all the pros and cons and glowing reports and dismissals (and outright trolling) into account, I think the average points to the likelihood that the EQP-KT is actually a useful studio tool, notwithstanding anguished cries of "yeah, but it doesn't sound exactly like a real Pultec" from the gallery. I have couple of KT-76s coming at the same time, so I'll be all KT-ed out for a while. Gonna need more rack space.
The 76 is excellent, too.
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
The 76 is excellent, too.
That seems to be the general consensus, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on these new toys.

But seriously ... all the negativity, because they're cheap, because they're associated with the "B" name (that shalt not be written in full for fear of reprisal from the Great Evil), because they're made in China, etc. ... really gets kind of tedious.

If they get the job done I honestly couldn't give a rat's rear end who the mother company is or where they're made (as long as they're not produced in cold, damp, torch-lit dungeons by undernourished children who've been sold into slavery, or something equally immoral).

I actually kinda surprised myself by not ordering at least one KT-2A at the same time. Maybe later.
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maybe later.
I think the 2a may be the best of the bunch.... Of course YMMV.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That seems to be the general consensus, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on these new toys.

But seriously ... all the negativity, because they're cheap, because they're associated with the "B" name (that shalt not be written in full for fear of reprisal from the Great Evil), because they're made in China, etc. ... really gets kind of tedious.

If they get the job done I honestly couldn't give a rat's rear end who the mother company is or where they're made (as long as they're not produced in cold, damp, torch-lit dungeons by undernourished children who've been sold into slavery, or something equally immoral).

I actually kinda surprised myself by not ordering at least one KT-2A at the same time. Maybe later.
The 2A is pretty good, too but you need to hit it with some signal to see the needle move. I put some no’s tubes in the eqp that smoothed it out nicely but stock is more than fine.
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I think the 2a may be the best of the bunch.... Of course YMMV.
Oh man
They’re both so cheap T_T
I’m gonna need more rack space
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I bought my 2 units months ago. Apart from testing them to make sure they functioned right I haven't used them at all and won't get to until September 2020. Can't wait!
What’s the story? You waiting for a Joe Biden win?
Old 18th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
Gonna be waiting a while I’m afraid
Old 18th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
I'm working overseas until then.
Old 19th September 2019
Almost there!

One of the two EQP-KTs and one of the two 76-KTs I ordered are comfortably ensconced in their rack and working nicely. All that wasted space though.

Heaven knows how long I'll have to wait for EQP-KT number two, but I should have a replacement for dead-on-arrival 76-KT number two in a couple of days. Once that is settled I figure I'll have a basic but workable selection of outboard stuff for tracking and hybrid mixing, saving a little DSP and enjoying the hands-on intimacy of actual knobs to twiddle (that sounded almost erotic). I have a pretty broad selection of UAD, Waves, and Softube plugins, but I really think even these el-cheapo hardware units sound better. Maybe not by much, but enough sonic mojo to make hybrid production worthwhile.

Of course it could be all in my head, but that's where it counts, innit.
Attached Thumbnails
Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT-studiorack.jpg  
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Almost there ! I have a pretty broad selection of UAD, Waves, and Softube plugins, but I really think even these el-cheapo hardware units sound better. Maybe not by much, but enough sonic mojo to make hybrid production worthwhile.

Of course it could be all in my head, but that's where it counts, innit.
Are your UAD plugins Legacy or UAD2 ? ( I am guessing you have Legacy as UA didn’t model transformer distortion until UAD2)
Old 20th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics View Post
Are your UAD plugins Legacy or UAD2 ? ( I am guessing you have Legacy as UA didn’t model transformer distortion until UAD2)
I’m running a UAD-2 Satellite Octo, so I have the new stuff. I use the UAD-2 EQP-1A quite a bit. Really good stuff, but I still think the hardware has some advantages. For example, the low boost on the plugin can get a bit flabby, whereas the EQP-KT stays tight and controlled even with a fair amount of boost (although I think the plugin allows a little more boost). It depends on the source to some degree too.

The UAD-2 plugs are great, and I am not going to stop using them, but the hardware has its own vibe that I am planning to take maximum advantage of.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search