The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco View Post
I sometimes wonder if anyone has actually listened to that shootout, because I feel exactly the same as you. I prefered a lot of the plugins to the KT in the sweetwater shootout. Some of the additional plugin files that came later in that thread were extremly close to the pulse pultec even.

On the one hand that shows, what surprises come up when you set up a shootout accurately. On the other hand it shows how much the perceived quality of actual HW factos in. It almost feels like most people really don't want to hear that the KTs don't sound that great at all. Not to mention, they don't sound anything like a pultec, even with the same EQ-curve, as shown in the shootout.

Just an observation
Which plugins did you think sounded closest to the Pulse?

I'm wondering if I need to do any additional shopping beyond my UAD Pultec Collection.

I have no bias towards the KT, it just always sounds pretty cool when I use it.

I didn't think it was amazing in the shootout. But in my own personal time I like it just fine. The high end boost could be a little smoother, is one criticism I would say.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Which plugins did you think sounded closest to the Pulse?

I'm wondering if I need to do any additional shopping beyond my UAD Pultec Collection.

I have no bias towards the KT, it just always sounds pretty cool when I use it.

I didn't think it was amazing in the shootout. But in my own personal time I like it just fine. The high end boost could be a little smoother, is one criticism I would say.
In case you haven't done it yet: Check the 5 Files b0se has posted in that thread via blind test and contact him for the results. Since they aren't public yet, all I can say is, I was very surprised by the results. For me personally in that instance i prefered one of the plugins to all the rest, couldn't reliably destingiush between the HW and the another plugin and felt like a third plugin was relatively close to those two. From the few responses I read, most people felt the same. That being said, at the time I did this shootout, I didn't even know that the Pulse was in there. Which was good, since I didn't actively look for it. But then again, it's only this one drum sample. Could be different with a whole mix. You never know. But I prefered all of them to the KT by quite a bit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco View Post
In case you haven't done it yet: Check the 5 Files b0se has posted in that thread via blind test and contact him for the results. Since they aren't public yet, all I can say is, I was very surprised by the results. For me personally in that instance i prefered one of the plugins to all the rest, couldn't reliably destingiush between the HW and the another plugin and felt like a third plugin was relatively close to those two. From the few responses I read, most people felt the same. That being said, at the time I did this shootout, I didn't even know that the Pulse was in there. Which was good, since I didn't actively look for it. But then again, it's only this one drum sample. Could be different with a whole mix. You never know. But I prefered all of them to the KT by quite a bit.
Thanks, I'm being lazy, I should do exactly what you said, I'll try to find some spare time to get it in.

Right now I'm all focused in on reverb, specifically convolution reverb. I can probably switch back to EQ pretty soon, I just grabbed the Waves CLA MixHub which is really just an updated SSL. So I'll be doing some EQ comparisons soon.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I don't really get the point in a forced comparison like the ones mentioned: I think the KT sounds more than ok on almost all sources and, in terms of value for money, it's a no brainer. Obviously there are better choices, but unless you have one or two you can tweak and listen to in your environment, on your material, I wouldn't care hearing things I don't have a direct control on.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrik83 View Post
I don't really get the point in a forced comparison like the ones mentioned: I think the KT sounds more than ok on almost all sources and, in terms of value for money, it's a no brainer. Obviously there are better choices, but unless you have one or two you can tweak and listen to in your environment, on your material, I wouldn't care hearing things I don't have a direct control on.
I think the value of shootouts like this is, that when the curves of the EQs are this closely matched, what is left is the boxtone of all the devices so to speak. Then you actually hear what the transformers, inducters, tubes etc. do and what differences there are between units. And in this case I personally found many of the plugins to be much more 'bang for the buck' than the KT because they sounded better and cloeser to the Pulse unit to my ears. I also liked the warm unit more than the KT.

But in the end it boils down to personal taste and you will surely find good uses for the KT but at least to my ears it doesn't really sound like a pultec or the better clones of such - no matter if SW or HW.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrik83 View Post
Exactly Friedrick, exactly that. It's box on it's own and has it's own sound. Is it the same principle as the rest of those mentioned in shootout? Yes. Are they all a bit different? Yes! It's to each and every single user to choose box which fit best. And there's a price, of course, that dictates also choosing of one over other.

I am not KT's "advocate" because I simply bought EQPs. I bought them because I don't have a budget for old vintage boxes. And there's another point here definitely. I would rather buy some new piece of equipment over old one because it's not that far away how they sound. How they all sound. Don't start flame now. I know, I know... There's nothing in the world that can replace original Pulse's circutry and all details regarding sound. I can't afford original Pultec but for my personal taste and momebtary status EQPs are far better than plugins. And, there's a joy, of course, a hook, when you can push something thru some box and not desrtoy an audio image but to achieve that something. That "plus". And all for the fraction of original price. Or for the same price (well, a bit more) as a quality made pieces of software.

Anyway, have a nice day all!

Krešo
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Exactly Friedrick, exactly that. It's box on it's own and has it's own sound. Is it the same principle as the rest of those mentioned in shootout? Yes. Are they all a bit different? Yes! It's to each and every single user to choose box which fit best. And there's a price, of course, that dictates also choosing of one over other...
But if it's not a question of the KT box trying to be like anything but itself then why is it repping the "Pultec" control scheme, the look, and the the initials? Clearly they're going for it's-like-a-Pultec. But the reality is that the sound is not similar enough for it to get the kind of budget Pultec street cred that this thread seems to be offering. If a budget Pultec just sounds like any EQ then why bother?

I don't use an original Pultec (though I have in the past). I have the Retro Instruments version. And personally I think it sounds a bit better than any original I've used. So I'm on board with the argument to pick what you want to use and can afford. I'm just astounded at the love for the KT. It sounds like what you can do with any EQ to my ears, and some of the software Pultecs sound more like a Pultec in that shootout as well. With all of that being the case I'm struggling to see why KT made this thing. It doesn't suck. It probably should be some other branding, and folks could respect it for being an EQ and not in any way attempting to be a Pultec.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
So I'm on board with the argument to pick what you want to use and can afford. I'm just astounded at the love for the KT. It sounds like what you can do with any EQ to my ears, and some of the software Pultecs sound more like a Pultec in that shootout as well. With all of that being the case I'm struggling to see why KT made this thing. It doesn't suck. It probably should be some other branding, and folks could respect it for being an EQ and not in any way attempting to be a Pultec.
Exactly. Very affordable and very good quality broad strokes EQ for overall polishing stuff at certain levels of professional usage. I mean, no matter what KT did or tried to do, for 199 EUR a mono-channel EQ with that components, production quality, Tubes, filter curves and all - it's fair to say that this is why this EQ got to where it is now. All that Pultec scheme by naming it such or intentionally pushing the idea of comparing curves and sound as in an original one is just good marketing.

Will this box ever be replacement for the original one? I don't think so. Is it possible for me, or for any average user like me for that matter, to put this type of box together at that price? Can't say for sure but somehow I doubt it. At least I wouldn't! Can it's performance be upgraded by simply swapping factory inserted Bugeras for some other type of Tubes? Maybe. Yes. At least some people here did actually do just that claiming EQP can be something else than on it's factory settings. Nice!

All I can say that I am really satisfied with those silver boxes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don’t understand why people compare this to an original Pultec other than the name on the box. It uses newer and cheaper components and like half of the yummy guts is missing?

All I wanna know if it sounds good? Especially after putting some matched semi expensive tubes in there.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Exactly. Very affordable and very good quality broad strokes EQ for overall polishing stuff at certain levels of professional usage. I mean, no matter what KT did or tried to do, for 199 EUR a mono-channel EQ with that components, production quality, Tubes, filter curves and all - it's fair to say that this is why this EQ got to where it is now. All that Pultec scheme by naming it such or intentionally pushing the idea of comparing curves and sound as in an original one is just good marketing.

Will this box ever be replacement for the original one? I don't think so. Is it possible for me, or for any average user like me for that matter, to put this type of box together at that price? Can't say for sure but somehow I doubt it. At least I wouldn't! Can it's performance be upgraded by simply swapping factory inserted Bugeras for some other type of Tubes? Maybe. Yes. At least some people here did actually do just that claiming EQP can be something else than on it's factory settings. Nice!

All I can say that I am really satisfied with those silver boxes.
Sorry, but in the shootout I just don't hear this very good quality that is often being mentioned. That is why I found this shootout so valuable. It let's you compare several EQs of the same type at different price points.

Regarding, wether you would be able to build something like this for the same price: No, but why would you want to do that anyways if it’s not that great? There are other options. You could build an AML Pultec for a bit more with much better components and with a much better sound from a small and very sympathetic company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
I don’t understand why people compare this to an original Pultec other than the name on the box. It uses newer and cheaper components and like half of the yummy guts is missing?

All I wanna know if it sounds good? Especially after putting some matched semi expensive tubes in there.

The point is that the KT is a pultec clone and marketed as such, as are all the other HW and SW units in that shootout. They follow the same basic principles and design and are therefor comparable. If you wish to use and buy this type of EQ, you can use a shootout like this to see, what sound you like. You don’t have to compare the KT to the pulse. You can also compare it to the cheaper HW clones and the SW clones and see how good it stands up. There should be more accurate shootouts like this.

Bottom line: I just don't get the hype this unit is getting, even at this price point. That's what I took out of this shootout at least...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi fellow gearslutz. Im new to the forum. Find this place when i was searching for information about the KT.
Just got my two Klark Teknik EQP-KT and did this simple AB test with and without the Klark Teknik. Hope you will enjoy it!

(Running a stereo mix unmastered thru two Klark Teknik EQP-KT Every 20 second it's either bypassed or on. No limiter, compression or anything else on the master just the EQP-KT.)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I agree the Sweetwater shootout didn't do this unit any favors. Still, that doesn't take away from the value of this unit. Retro Instruments 2A3 = $3,940, Klark Pultec = $299.00. That's 1,317% more expensive. Yowzas.

Flat out, the Klark Teknik Pultec sounds good and the price is a game changer. The other EQ's in this price range are not inductor based, don't have any tubes, don't have transformers, and don't sound good BOOSTING vs. cutting. I wanted a "soft" sounding EQ, and this is great. If I want a signature $4,000 piece, or a 1:1 exacting Pultec replica, there are plenty of options on the market. I'm glad they exist, and one can't really go wrong with any of them, as the Sweetwater shootout indicates. Personally I thought the Tube Tech was incredible in that shootout ($2,850). However if I want a $299 EQ, well there aren't a lot on the market that use discrete electronics and old-school components, and are good at boost vs. just cut.

I will say after using the Klark EQ, I am definitely lusting after even more tone/performance. However the price jumps dramatically to the ~$1,000 range (334% more). There's the Warm Audio which is $699 (234% more), the Stam Audio which no one has ever heard and who knows when it will ever be released which is $900-$1,000, and there's the AML Pultec for around $1,100 (368%) more. I wish Audio Scape made an EQP vs. their MEQ. Am I missing any, that still have tubes? Please tell me!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

^^^^ Well said. I wasn't expecting a vintage pultec, and obviously didn't get one. But it does the pultec "thing" well, and sounds great. Didn't listen to the shootout. Those are not useful to me. I've got 2 KT pultec's sitting alongside other mega buck hardware and they are holding their own just fine.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I'd love to see this in a 1u size, any chance of that happening? Manley can do it right? It can be done. I do love my EQP-KT.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

One thing, I tried running a vocal mic through another tube EQ unit from another company. It was good but kind of pricey so was thinking about selling it, until I ran that unit into the Klark EQ, basically daisy-chaining the two EQ's with tube gain stages. Wow, it sounded really good in combination. In this case, more was more.

It made me want to experiment more with chaining multiple tube units together, for example running the Klark EQ into a second Klark EQ. I only have one Klark EQ unit, but if anyone has two Klark units, try daisy-chaining them and see if you like it. I'm curious to hear about it. Need to experiment more on that, and also reminds me I really want to add a nice tube comp like an LA2A clone. The Klark and GAP units are really affordable, but trying to hold out longer for maybe an Audioscape LA2A or something in that $1,000 range.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
One thing, I tried running a vocal mic through another tube EQ unit from another company. It was good but kind of pricey so was thinking about selling it, until I ran that unit into the Klark EQ, basically daisy-chaining the two EQ's with tube gain stages. Wow, it sounded really good in combination. In this case, more was more.

It made me want to experiment more with chaining multiple tube units together, for example running the Klark EQ into a second Klark EQ. I only have one Klark EQ unit, but if anyone has two Klark units, try daisy-chaining them and see if you like it. I'm curious to hear about it. Need to experiment more on that, and also reminds me I really want to add a nice tube comp like an LA2A clone. The Klark and GAP units are really affordable, but trying to hold out longer for maybe an Audioscape LA2A or something in that $1,000 range.
I like your thinking! I do have a pair of the EQP-KT...I may need to try this idea

Also, I have a pair of the KT-2A as well...and I will say...they sound incredible. I have nothing to compare them to as far as all of the other clones go...but I will say it's been absolutely fantastic on the way in with vocal recording...and I'm using them for guitars during mixdown with realtime bouncing in Logic Pro X and the results are outstanding. Such a fat, analog warmth and the units themselves have pretty much no noticeable noise. Great value!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post

have not chained 2 EQ's, but my EQP's are always chained analog with SOMEthing. Yeah, cumulative analog stages make a huge difference. A single unit was never meant to take you all the way there in the past. The sum of all parts is greater than any of them alone.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingAbout View Post
Hi fellow gearslutz. Im new to the forum. Find this place when i was searching for information about the KT.
Just got my two Klark Teknik EQP-KT and did this simple AB test with and without the Klark Teknik. Hope you will enjoy it!

(Running a stereo mix unmastered thru two Klark Teknik EQP-KT Every 20 second it's either bypassed or on. No limiter, compression or anything else on the master just the EQP-KT.)

Are the EQ’s flat or are you using the settings in the video? Huge difference!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
^^^^ Well said. I wasn't expecting a vintage pultec, and obviously didn't get one. But it does the pultec "thing" well, and sounds great. Didn't listen to the shootout. Those are not useful to me. I've got 2 KT pultec's sitting alongside other mega buck hardware and they are holding their own just fine.

Yep. Absolutely great post by @bowzin. I like mine very well. It lives on kick and most definitely has a “soft” feel, something none of my plugins have not even my uad or waves pultec plugins. Besides that I can track with this thing and dial in a sound That makes me smile literally in seconds.

I’ll share an anecdotal story I’ve shared on this forum in the past. I have a 32ch Soundtracs console. When I was doing my buildout I took time in my downtime to really get to know all my mic pres.

Testing, testing and more testing. Guess what? The Soundtracs did not win any direct shootouts with my “nice” pres. However, when I track drums through the console I can get a crazy phat and cohesive sound that I cannot get for the life of me with any “a la cart” outboard pres.

I learned a really important lesson that day. Lesson was, just because something doesn’t win a direct shootout, doesn’t mean it won’t slay on certain sources. SM57 anyone?

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I learned a really important lesson that day. Lesson was, just because something doesn’t win a direct shootout, doesn’t mean it won’t slay on certain sources. SM57 anyone?

Absolutely!!

Something doesn't have to be the BEST to be the "most appropriate". A lesson that many here could learn as every other thread on GS starts out "what's the BEST xyz, abc, etc."
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Are the EQ’s flat or are you using the settings in the video? Huge difference!
No, when the EQ is ON its with the settings you se in the picture. When the EQ is OFF its not connected at all not even in bypass mode.

Yes its a huge diffrent. They are great on just about anything.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I definitely prefer the track through the kt’s. I have nos JAN GE tubes in mine. Smooths out the high end.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingAbout View Post
No, when the EQ is ON its with the settings you se in the picture. When the EQ is OFF its not connected at all not even in bypass mode.

Yes its a huge diffrent. They are great on just about anything.
Cheers! Flat eq level matched would demonstrate the tubes and trannies better!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Cheers! Flat eq level matched would demonstrate the tubes and trannies better!
Well that wasnt my intention in the first place. But hey i might do a video with that in the future as well!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well well, I received mine today and it sounded pretty good for about 15 minutes when all of a sudden it stopped working. It's only passing a tiny little bit of sound (down by like 40dB from what seemed like normal levels), only high end coming through at this low level, no low end to speak of. The EQ does seem to function (I can hear the high band doing something) but it's not OK. First thing I did was checking all cabling and bypassing the patchbay, trying the XLR's instead of jack, nothing helped. Took it out of the rack, no difference. Currently letting it cool down to see if that had anything to do with it. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is a broken tube (never had that happen before as I'm mostly in transistor world). A broken tube would mean I don't have to send it back but I don't want to void warranty if that's not the issue...

TLDR: how does a broken tube on a KT-EQP sound? Mine does like -40dB from normal and only high end.

Dutchy
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy15 View Post
Well well, I received mine today and it sounded pretty good for about 15 minutes when all of a sudden it stopped working. It's only passing a tiny little bit of sound (down by like 40dB from what seemed like normal levels), only high end coming through at this low level, no low end to speak of. The EQ does seem to function (I can hear the high band doing something) but it's not OK. First thing I did was checking all cabling and bypassing the patchbay, trying the XLR's instead of jack, nothing helped. Took it out of the rack, no difference. Currently letting it cool down to see if that had anything to do with it. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is a broken tube (never had that happen before as I'm mostly in transistor world). A broken tube would mean I don't have to send it back but I don't want to void warranty if that's not the issue...

TLDR: how does a broken tube on a KT-EQP sound? Mine does like -40dB from normal and only high end.

Dutchy
I have a similar problem. received two of these units yesterday. in a reainsert loop in reaper (xlr into Klark, tsr out) they work fine, in an insert on my AH console (tsr out of the board, xlr in and out Klark) there is only a very faint signal in the headphones. am I doing something wrong?

I have all kinds of things hooked to the inserts of my board and they all work fine. bss 404, drawmer 1978, elysia xpressor, vermona spring reverb etc.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL Berlin View Post
I have a similar problem. received two of these units yesterday. in a reainsert loop in reaper (xlr into Klark, tsr out) they work fine, in an insert on my AH console (tsr out of the board, xlr in and out Klark) there is only a very faint signal in the headphones. am I doing something wrong?

I have all kinds of things hooked to the inserts of my board and they all work fine. bss 404, drawmer 1978, elysia xpressor, vermona spring reverb etc.

Does it still work when going back to the Reainsert method? If not we're having the same problem. If it works again with reainsert you might have a cabling problem or the KT EQP simply doesn't like unbalanced signals (which would seem very strange to me).

Dutchy
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Does it still work when going back to the Reainsert method? If not we're having the same problem. If it works again with reainsert you might have a cabling problem or the KT EQP simply doesn't like unbalanced signals (which would seem very strange to me).

Dutchy
yes it does, in the loop it works fine. got to check the console manual but as far as I know I am using just normal patchcords tsr/tsr,tsr or tsr/xlr, xlr for my other gear. I have balanced and unbalanced patchcords and none of the other units I work with ever made a problem on the inserts.

first I thought they shipped me a faulty unit but as I received two of them that is pretty unlikely even for behringer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
TLDR: how does a broken tube on a KT-EQP sound?
A broken valve would not sound at all. Other troubleshoothing aside, I figure a defective or badly seated one might cause something like what you're describing. Might be worth to pop the lid and see if the valves are properly seated and snug in their sockets. If that doesn't solve it, my next move would be trying equivalents that you may have laying around. If that still doesn't fix it, it's component related (other than the valves).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm not one to shy away from opening up a piece of gear and having a look inside. This being so new however (and failing after 15 minutes of use) I'm kind of hesitant as I'd be fine with replacing a tube but not with troubleshooting / fixing the SMD. Unfortunately I don't have any tubes laying around except the ones inside my Art VLA so quickly popping one in is not an option I'm afraid. The EQ has sat on the couch for a day now so I'll give a try in a moment to see if it had anything to do with the unit warming up through use.

Edit: Nothing's changed, same problem. I'll let it sit for a bit so the caps discharge and then have a gander inside I guess...

Dutchy
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search