The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Klark Teknik 1176 compressor
Old 20th October 2016
Gear Head

New Klark Teknik 1176 compressor

Just saw it on Facebook today... guess they just announced it.

Klark Teknik 1176-KT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPxHB_ZzjC4

I'm guessing it'll be priced affordably. Looking forward to hearing it in action though!
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
Just saw it on Facebook today... guess they just announced it.

Klark Teknik 1176-KT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPxHB_ZzjC4

I'm guessing it'll be priced affordably. Looking forward to hearing it in action though!
$599 US
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Can't believe Klark Teknik producing a clone! They were known for quality eqs, workhorse compressors and other signal processors for live sound. I suppose it's a result of Behringer's acquisition of Midas & Klark Teknik, but man, would the engineers at Klark Teknik had been happy to produce a clone? I really don't think so.
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Addict

Very interesting!
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwise View Post
Can't believe Klark Teknik producing a clone! They were known for quality eqs, workhorse compressors and other signal processors for live sound. I suppose it's a result of Behringer's acquisition of Midas & Klark Teknik, but man, would the engineers at Klark Teknik had been happy to produce a clone? I really don't think so.
I'm surprised too.

We still have 6 dn360's and a few dn504 compressors at our church.. as long as I'm there they'll never go away! We have a broadcast/recording M32 and if these really are only 599 I think we'll have to pick up a couple. I like using subgroups when I teach the young volunteers how to mix and these could be alot of fun.

I get what you mean about the clones.. It's definitely uncharacteristic of Klark Teknik.

With everything going digital, KT definitely took a hit - being famous for their analog hardware. Maybe this is a way they can get back into the game since more people are only buying fun & creative hardware and less utilitarian, since most are found in digital consoles these days. As an old dog that's just recently started migrated to digital, I still can't part with my analog klarks.
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

My KT DN780 reverb still sounds decidedly lush and 80's with hints of AMS
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Head

I shouldn't have just said analog hardware! I always wanted that reverb. Was always stuck with SPX90s and PCM70s. I've only used the Dn780 reverb inside the Pro Series consoles and like it. Can only imagine the real thing for that big reverb sound!
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
As an old dog that's just recently started migrated to digital, I still can't part with my analog klarks.
Fully agreed. DN360 cuts like no other eqs do. Surgical and very potent. Digital eqs are okay for feedback prevention and I know analogue eqs can't to linear phase stuff, but DN360 makes you feel like you are touching the sound.

I understand the trend of "everything digital" is making things difficult for Klark, but why why why clone? Especially the 1176 market where it's bloated with so many other clones with second hand units, even originals still selling...
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Behringer owns Klark Technik now along with Midas , Turbosound and others . The original K T wouldn't have done it on principle and couldn't at the price.
it's Behringer's way of using the revered name to validate their product.

Cheers, Ross
Old 22nd October 2016
Cant wait for the WA76 shoutout vs KT1176...

Midas transformers?

Do they have a celebrated history/ pedigree like the Jensenn/ Riechenbach (sp?)/ Cinemag family ?

I'm sure these will be popular unless everybody already has wa76's
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt View Post
it's Behringer's way of using the revered name to validate their product.
It does make sense, sadly. I hope this clone business is something temporary, Klark survive through the competition and come up with rather new and exceptional analogue hardware later on.
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Nice. Maybe we'll eventually get a digital recreation in Midas Pro Consoles.
Old 22nd October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwise View Post
It does make sense, sadly. I hope this clone business is something temporary, Klark survive through the competition and come up with rather new and exceptional analogue hardware later on.
Agreed. I have a lot of respect for KT but in 2016 it's so late in the game for clones. There is room for innovation and new things.
Old 26th October 2016
Lives for gear

Behringer rules!
First they announced DM12, then TC-Electronics cheap analog pedals and now KT 1176 compressor with Behringer price.

Good times for Gearslutz :D
http://www.soundonsound.com/news/kla...176-compressor
Old 30th November 2016
Here for the gear

Inside the Klark Clone

Just got it. Checking out the gutz!
Attached Thumbnails
New Klark Teknik 1176 compressor-klark-1176-inside.jpg  
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Talk about SMD!

Hardly a PCB there!

I digress ... How's it sounding?

Wiggy
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Talk about SMD!

Hardly a PCB there!

I digress ... How's it sounding?

Wiggy
At first glance it looks empty . But most of the PCB is perpendicular to the camera so it's hard to see what's (not) there.
Old 1st December 2016
I suppose another LA-2A clone will be on it's way, this time from K-T. I'm sure they are eying the success of the WA-2A.
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
I suppose another LA-2A clone will be on it's way, this time from K-T. I'm sure they are eying the success of the WA-2A.
Maybe, but their Pultec is next

EQP-KT | Equalizers | Signal Processors | Klarkteknik | Categories | MUSIC Group

I'm actually looking forward to this one
Old 1st December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX N View Post
Just got it. Checking out the gutz!
Post some sound clips if you get the chance!
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseUTB View Post
Cant wait for the WA76 shoutout vs KT1176...

Midas transformers?

Do they have a celebrated history/ pedigree like the Jensenn/ Riechenbach (sp?)/ Cinemag family ?

I'm sure these will be popular unless everybody already has wa76's
I can't remember exactly the name, but it was a company in the UK that made all the quad inductors and transformers.

Now if they returned to them after Music Group merger, I don't know. I'm not in the new loop.
Old 1st December 2016
Wtf? is with variable attack controls?

You can never recall??

Dumb.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by desol View Post
Wtf? is with variable attack controls?

You can never recall??

Dumb.
What do you mean? How is this different than every other 1176?
Old 2nd December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
What do you mean? How is this different than every other 1176?
I haven't used 1176 in a long while. I thought they were switched attack?
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
no its variable in the real one (1176LN).

btw guys the wa76 is a 1176A circuit and the KT1176 is the 1176LN circuit.

so the KT1176 should sound nicer.

Also about the comment about SMT used in the KT1176: It doesn't matter. Because in the last few years there has been better sounding SMT parts made. So the old saying of all SMT passive parts are bad sounding is not true any more. Only most.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
Quote:
no its variable in the real one (1176LN).

btw guys the wa76 is a 1176A circuit and the KT1176 is the 1176LN circuit.

so the KT1176 should sound nicer.

Also about the comment about SMT used in the KT1176: It doesn't matter. Because in the last few years there has been better sounding SMT parts made. So the old saying of all SMT passive parts are bad sounding is not true any more. Only most.
The WA76 is bassed on the 1176LN Rev D, not an 1176A. It says so right on their website. The KT1176 is based on 1176LN Rev. D & E.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

but the circuit inside looks like an A model. LN don't use 2n3055 se output. its a pushpull amp in the end. That is why they put the LN on the end to signify the low noise push-pull output. It doesn't suffer from bad power supply noise rejection (unlike the single ended class A circuit).
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

nevermind. I looked they change it to push-pull on rev F.
looking at the official manual: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/vin...76lnmanual.pdf
they added 3rd prog cord at D improved bootstrapping circuit at rev c. They added a 10M into the ratio circuit, changed the fet in the line stage, and a bigger power transformer at rev E.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

I still don't understand the logic behind the output being changed to a pushpull parafeed as I see it as a step backwards design wise.

that is probably why someone like the older models.

but there are better output and line stage circuits they could of used too.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
That´s only half of the truth. Most discrete transistors are not available in SMT. So I bet that the original transistors have been substituted with modern SMT parts.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search