The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Klark Teknik 1176 compressor
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thank you @ Hierofonix and @ Emi for providing quantitative data to this discussion! You two are are separated by 7 time zones, and yet have posted great information within minutes of one another. This is GS at its best.

While it shows the box owned by Emi is about 10dB quieter, they're both working in acceptable ranges of noise.
Two quick things: Were the knob settings the same for both measurements? What does this FFT graph look like with shorted inputs?

I've been interested in these KT units to use between my Audient ASP800 analog output and the Midas M32 input. This information is a tremendous help. Thanks again!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post
So if your unit is noisy, return it. It shouldn't be. Plenty of us here reporting silent units.
Plenty of us have returned ours, only to get the same problem or worse on the replacements.

Look, I have no doubt that plenty of folks have received a properly working unit.

But in my personal experience, as well as others I have spoken with, there seems to be zero quality check from their manufacturing facilities. The fact that numerous people have reported receiving their unit DOA tells me that they likely don't even power up the units before packaging to check them.

The same issues have been brought up concerning the noise issues with the MIDAS 500 series racks. I'm one of the lucky ones who has a quiet and well performing Midas L10. But I do not doubt all of the reports of people returning their Midas 500 series racks due to noise issues.
Old 3 weeks ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Thank you @ Hierofonix and @ Emi for providing quantitative data to this discussion! You two are are separated by 7 time zones, and yet have posted great information within minutes of one another. This is GS at its best.

While it shows the box owned by Emi is about 10dB quieter, they're both working in acceptable ranges of noise.
Two quick things: Were the knob settings the same for both measurements? What does this FFT graph look like with shorted inputs?

I've been interested in these KT units to use between my Audient ASP800 analog output and the Midas M32 input. This information is a tremendous help. Thanks again!

Both input and output at 12. RTA on peak detection. But I think this is not as a reliable metering as I was thinking. On pro tools meter is shows like -74dbFS (see attached picture).

But in normal use I have mine: input at about 3 a'clock (maybe less depending on the signal) and the output at about 10 a'clock. This way I drive the unit in order to get compression and the noise goes down drastically to about -86dbFS or less.

So, is it noisy...well depends how you set it, as with all analog hardware. A friend of mine has the 1176A original blue stripe and while it sounds incredible good it has way more noise than the KT.

I didn't test them with shorted inputs. I have mine inserted into pro tools via hardware insert.

Last edited by Emi; 3 weeks ago at 02:31 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Here's the pro tools peak meter with bout in/out at 12
Attached Thumbnails
New Klark Teknik 1176 compressor-screenshot-2019-09-21-15.08.38.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
In normaly use we can’t compare so 12 oclock is fine. But Some would REC on +24 db others -10 or +4 mine was on “Lo gain”.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
It's impossible to have no residual noise in this kind of analog equipment. Whether the signal to noise ratio is acceptable to you or not is the question, for me and the unit I have. Which sounds similar to what other folks here have posted here about - it is bordering on being unacceptable, and I am cautious with what I use it on. Finger picked acoustic guitars, mandolin and other softer stringed instruments the noise is too excessive.

Which makes it sound like I only record folk music, which is very far from the truth Synths, electric guitars, and mixing vocals are all workable. Although as I have banged on about already, this unit has somewhere between 10 to 15 dB more noise than my other analog compressors.

Which is a shame because it has a very smooth compression characteristic and would be very useful on the softer organic recordings......
Yes, ok. I have no discernible additional noise with the 76 switched on when set at normal or slightly higher listening level would be an accurate description. I don't tend to have my input pushed to much though - usually around 10 or 11 o'clock on the dial.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Does anyone know if these newly branded 76-KT's are identical to the earlier 1176-KT's which were twice the price?

Have they skimped back further on the components or is the price reduction and name change just a mater of scale and avoiding legal troubles?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbaguk View Post
Does anyone know if these newly branded 76-KT's are identical to the earlier 1176-KT's which were twice the price?

Have they skimped back further on the components or is the price reduction and name change just a mater of scale and avoiding legal troubles?
They're the same. It's just a scale thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradovic View Post
They're the same. It's just a scale thing.
Cheers, that's good to hear.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just got mine, no noise issues at all seems just as quiet as my kt-2a. Only issue i have is engaging the all buttons in being a bit fiddly. Sounds good on first test
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Just got mine, no noise issues at all seems just as quiet as my kt-2a. Only issue i have is engaging the all buttons in being a bit fiddly. Sounds good on first test
You seem to get the same effect by using top and bottom buttons only - i'm assuming there's a resistor chain relating to those buttons which somehow the middle 2 are rendered out of circuit with the top and bottom selected. I actually find no button mode quite useful also.

Last edited by mrfantastic; 3 weeks ago at 05:26 PM.. Reason: repeated some info there
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Cool idea for a test guys, but have to add a few things - as a geeky studio engineer

The input knob won't contribute to the noise without anything connected, the output knob does though and you will obviously get the residual noise from the unit at the output. The thing is though, you can't compare the level you are getting in the DAW software without knowing what the reference level of your audio interface is. Some interfaces are setup for +4 dbu (0.775 volts) at -18 dbFS for example, but there is no standard and so interface line input levels vary a fair bit from unit to unit. I've seen ranges -22 dbFS to -14dbFS and in some interfaces you can change this in software or by a trim pot. Meaning you could have variations of up to 8db from the audio interface input level.

My Lynx Hilo interface for example uses a reference level of -20 dbFS, and with the output knob on the KT-76 at 24 or 12 o'clock I get the noise coming in at -75 db.

I wish I knew where unity gain is on the output knob, or the unit in general - so I could compare directly to the noise from my other compressors when set to unity. Anyone who may enlighten me please do!

All I know is that when I use the KT-76 on a source and around 4 or 5 db of gain reduction at a 4:1 ratio, compared to other units it is noticeably noisier. About 12 db more than the Distressor and approx 10 db more than an SSL buss compressor.
Old 3 weeks ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Well, it is at least 6 dB noisier than my other comps but the original 1176 too, from what I’ve seen..,

I don’t know if you mod the power supply filtering you would get a better s/n ratio. It would be interesting to know.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
The noise is only on the output stage
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Delivery from Bax just turned up (with euro plug - ).

Can't wait to get home and try this thing out. Hopefully it's a goodun.
Old 3 weeks ago
Well don't leave us hangin' Scumbag. Lay down the straight dope when you've run the white glove over it.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbaguk View Post
Delivery from Bax just turned up (with euro plug - ).

Can't wait to get home and try this thing out. Hopefully it's a goodun.
Mine had a uk plug as well in the outer BAX box mate.
Old 3 weeks ago
Mine had an American plug and I need to use it in Australia! No worries though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So really just tested mine gently through ratios right up to all buttons in and input almost on max settings. Love it. Def a lot noisier when smashing the hell out of it but to be expected. Nothing beats a good drum break being smashed 1176 style love the zing and release off the snares. Tested against ik black 76 and native instruments plugins. They are good but not when you get the extreme end compared to the KT. Whether it sounds exactly like a UA i couldn't care as what it does for £160 is just nuts.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Mine had an American plug and I need to use it in Australia! No worries though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Mine had a uk plug as well in the outer BAX box mate.
Oops, so it does. I probably shouldn't have sent them that cranky email about UK law and plugs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Cool idea for a test guys, but have to add a few things - as a geeky studio engineer

The input knob won't contribute to the noise without anything connected, the output knob does though and you will obviously get the residual noise from the unit at the output. The thing is though, you can't compare the level you are getting in the DAW software without knowing what the reference level of your audio interface is. Some interfaces are setup for +4 dbu (0.775 volts) at -18 dbFS for example, but there is no standard and so interface line input levels vary a fair bit from unit to unit. I've seen ranges -22 dbFS to -14dbFS and in some interfaces you can change this in software or by a trim pot. Meaning you could have variations of up to 8db from the audio interface input level.

My Lynx Hilo interface for example uses a reference level of -20 dbFS, and with the output knob on the KT-76 at 24 or 12 o'clock I get the noise coming in at -75 db.

I wish I knew where unity gain is on the output knob, or the unit in general - so I could compare directly to the noise from my other compressors when set to unity. Anyone who may enlighten me please do!

All I know is that when I use the KT-76 on a source and around 4 or 5 db of gain reduction at a 4:1 ratio, compared to other units it is noticeably noisier. About 12 db more than the Distressor and approx 10 db more than an SSL buss compressor.
Is this a scenario where you would "terminate" the input jack/cable with say a 600 ohm resistor? To simulate a line load?

I am still learning about test procedures in my ongoing electronics self-education.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Is this a scenario where you would "terminate" the input jack/cable with say a 600 ohm resistor? To simulate a line load?

I am still learning about test procedures in my ongoing electronics self-education.
Not in this situation for 'measuring' the self-noise from the unit. It will continue to pass the internal noise to the output regardless of what signal and associated load is at the input.

Looking at the specs on the Klark Teknik website and manual for the KT-76, the signal to noise ratio is quoted as 80db at +4dbu, which is respectable but I suspect not what my unit is close to..

As the signal to noise ratio of a typical Mic>Mic Pre>EQ>Compressor signal chain is often at the mercy of the noisiest unit, which often is below the acoustic noise floor - it's quite noticeable that with the KT-76 in circuit the electronic noise floor level rises. Meaning the KT-76 is the noisiest unit in the signal path, and worryingly close to the acoustic noise floor in some situations.

In reality though, I still really like this unit and for the money it is seriously good even if it is not the quietest.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

but doesn't the floating input add a buzz/noise to the signal? should the input be grounded before testing?

I have no idea what people are doing here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Like earlier said, if your mic is noisy, then the output will be noisy. I can push the volume of any of my KTs up to 80 without any noticeable noise using my trusty AT3035. Tried some t.bone small condenser and couldn't pass more than 50, may be less.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

If people are going to be testing noise, there needs to be a fair test without extra noise going into the front end of the KT.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There is nothing scientific about this file at all. Drum loop KT bypassed, KT then active being abused to death all buttons mode input at almost max then bypassed etc. If there's noise I'm not bothered as it just sounds angry and abused which is what i wanted hahah

No EQ or anything at all. Just dry then KT x 2 rounds

My teenage lad even walked past and nodded his head when i engaged it as he's right into rap at the moment. Worth £160 to see him bounce his head past the door
Attached Files

KT76 Loop.mp3 (1.47 MB, 375 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I didn't even notice the hand drums until the compression brought them up. Very cool. Love the way the reverb comes out too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Funny how the noise issue is still a topic here, I've never had any problems with the KT regarding noise.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicnomad View Post
Funny how the noise issue is still a topic here, I've never had any problems with the KT regarding noise.
There are noisy ones out there. You got lucky.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I didn't even notice the hand drums until the compression brought them up. Very cool. Love the way the reverb comes out too.
Totally mate and the changes in timbres you get as you move the release and attack with both hands are great when smashing it to death.

Like i say really raw file. You could back off a bit, add a bit of eq to fatten up the kick, do it parallel etc etc when using properly in a track.

Just good fun.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search