The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Klark Teknik 1176 compressor
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

I see BAX has them for £177 with free delivery at the moment. That's just silly. Trying so hard not to buy as promised myself no purchases this month but that price is real hard to resist
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Guru

This might sound insane, but someone could make a business of buying Behringer / Klark Teknik / Midas gear and doing actual quality control, fixing anything that needs fixing, selling at a small premium.

Behringer's QC has been described as "None at all" by some people. They make up for it with volume, very low prices and suffer from a mixed reputation because of it.

I almost can't handle it but I'd sort of like to find a "good" Behringer Model D that's a pretty cool synth. Maybe Sweetwater would support this anal retentive search for "good behringers" but I bet they would get a little peeved after a while. I wouldn't want to push my luck.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
I see BAX has them for £177 with free delivery at the moment. That's just silly. Trying so hard not to buy as promised myself no purchases this month but that price is real hard to resist
Is this with or without tax.
Old 19th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi View Post
Is this with or without tax.
With tax and actually it’s £170 this morning
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I see BAX has them for £177 with free delivery at the moment.
I've never heard of this store before. Is it reliable?
Old 19th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
Cant really comment as only ordered 1 thing from them before which was fine. They are pretty decent size and sell a lot.

They also have a code promotion so another 5% off. So actually its £161.50. Just ordered 1 for that price as it's mad.
Old 19th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cant really comment as only ordered 1 thing from them before which was fine. They are pretty decent size and sell a lot.

They also have a code promotion so another 5% off. So actually its £161.50. Just ordered 1 for that price as it's mad.
For the money, that is insanely good.

Apologies if I missed it, but has anyone tracked down a DIY mod to improve the noise?
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Yes it is. Bought a pair of JBL 308 from them. When arrived I noticed one speaker box was opened. I sent them an email asking for return and refund with pics of the opened box. Received a return tracked postage immediately with apology and if I wanted a replacement but I went for return option. As soon as they got the item my money was back. So the service was quick and swift.

Although the service was ok, I still prefer Thomann or dv247 but BAX is a genuine online store to answer your question.

Few months back I got my KT76 from dv247 for £155.

Last edited by emid; 19th September 2019 at 05:47 PM..
Old 19th September 2019
Lives for gear

I know Thomann ships to the US, but doesn't look like Bax has that option on their site.
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emid View Post
Yes it is. Bought a pair of JBL 308 from them. When arrived I noticed one speaker box was opened. I sent them an email asking for return and refund with pics of the opened box. Received a return tracked postage immediately with apology and if I wanted a replacement but I went for return option. As soon as they got the item my money was back. So the service was quick and swift.

Although the service was ok, I still prefer Thomann or dv247 but BAX is a genuine online store to answer your question.

Few months back I got my KT76 from dv247 for £155.
Hey, thanks a lot for the info! I'm a rather frequent customer of Thomann, but BAX is a lot cheaper in some items. So it's nice to hear that they're ok too.
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hey, thanks a lot for the info! I'm a rather frequent customer of Thomann, but BAX is a lot cheaper in some items. So it's nice to hear that they're ok too.
https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Klar...-000V000122762

Check this if you are ok with returned item
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
It was up to £184 last night and this morning back down to £169.

With the ka0919 voucher that brought it in at £160.55 with free shipping.

My resistance was completely futile at that point.
Old 20th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
For the money, that is insanely good.

Apologies if I missed it, but has anyone tracked down a DIY mod to improve the noise?
Is the noise actually a thing? Does everyone report an issue with noise? I've literally got zero noise. This thing is quieter than my plugins. I'm mainly using it on vocals, which I figured would be an application that could really bring out the noise but... there isn't any.
I'm also doing some post compression ITB and there's no noise popping up then either. I dunno, maybe you guys are running it on some very specific application that I'm not familiar with.
Old 20th September 2019
No noticeable noise here either.

Is anyone with multiple units seeing noise-level variations?
Old 20th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post
Is the noise actually a thing? Does everyone report an issue with noise? I've literally got zero noise. This thing is quieter than my plugins. I'm mainly using it on vocals, which I figured would be an application that could really bring out the noise but... there isn't any.
I'm also doing some post compression ITB and there's no noise popping up then either. I dunno, maybe you guys are running it on some very specific application that I'm not familiar with.
No noise on my unit either. I've read of lot of reports that some have noise some haven't which doesn't make much sense unless a huge proportion of them are suffering manufacturing defects in which case should be returned under warranty.
Mine is currently set up as an insert between a sampler and digital desk and the only noise I can hear is what you put into it with a ropey source.
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfantastic View Post
I've read of lot of reports that some have noise some haven't which doesn't make much sense unless a huge proportion of them are suffering manufacturing defects .
This ... Their quality control is nonexistent.
Old 20th September 2019
^^ I wonder if it's more to do with how they're tested? A huge plant such as the Music Tribe village will churn out as many as they get orders for no doubt with only as they see it, necessary functional testing, whereas a more bespoke manufacturer will be a lot more careful with testing and can afford to be based on the price that they are selling for - aside from the higher quality and value components. It's a pity though as it's a great compressor even though it's a cheap clone.
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Hi, I have also hum in my 2 units. I just noticed it when using "all buttons" in. After that I swear I hear it with lower ratios too. I still think thay are good comps. If it's a case of adding/changing few components, I would not mind fixing them. At the moment I just use them mostly in 1:4 mode.
Old 20th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfantastic View Post
No noise on my unit either. I've read of lot of reports that some have noise some haven't which doesn't make much sense unless a huge proportion of them are suffering manufacturing defects in which case should be returned under warranty.
Mine is currently set up as an insert between a sampler and digital desk and the only noise I can hear is what you put into it with a ropey source.
It's impossible to have no residual noise in this kind of analog equipment. Whether the signal to noise ratio is acceptable to you or not is the question, for me and the unit I have. Which sounds similar to what other folks here have posted here about - it is bordering on being unacceptable, and I am cautious with what I use it on. Finger picked acoustic guitars, mandolin and other softer stringed instruments the noise is too excessive.

Which makes it sound like I only record folk music, which is very far from the truth Synths, electric guitars, and mixing vocals are all workable. Although as I have banged on about already, this unit has somewhere between 10 to 15 dB more noise than my other analog compressors.

Which is a shame because it has a very smooth compression characteristic and would be very useful on the softer organic recordings......
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post
Pip drop silence .
All behringer products in signal chain including audio interface (1820), pres (Midas 502), 76-KT or KT-2A. Lucky I guess.
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Regarding noise, it's all about proper gainstaging. In normal conditions, KT-76 is silent.
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Regarding noise, it's all about proper gainstaging. In normal conditions, KT-76 is silent.
That is if you happen to be lucky enough to get one built properly!
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
That is if you happen to be lucky enough to get one built properly!
Yes, apparently. I was thinking mainly the posts regarding the noise some people get when the output is past 2 o'clock, which -to me, at least- seems like a gainstage problem.

But, yeah, if the unit -any unit- isn't built properly, Pandora's box is being opened...
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Guru

I love the feeling of 100 people figuring out the same thing at the same time.
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I love the feeling of 100 people figuring out the same thing at the same time.
But what is the return or result.
Old 21st September 2019
So if your unit is noisy, return it. It shouldn't be. Plenty of us here reporting silent units.
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Addict
This is the noise from my 76-KT with both knobs at 24 mark (12 o clock) and no input pad and nothing on the input

the span is in high resolution

So we can compare and see if there are some more noisy than others

Old 21st September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by guze View Post
This is the noise from my 76-KT with both knobs at 24 mark (12 o clock) and no input pad and nothing on the input

the span is in high resolution

So we can compare and see if there are some more noisy than others

That's not bad at all. From what I can gather the noise floor of the current Universal Audio 1176LN is around -80 dB, maybe a little lower.
Old 21st September 2019
Emi
Gear Addict

Here is on one of mine, but both are identical so...
Attached Thumbnails
New Klark Teknik 1176 compressor-screenshot-2019-09-21-14.15.01.png  
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Nut
mine pare are noisy. at 24 / 24 (rme ufx lo Gain)
Attached Thumbnails
New Klark Teknik 1176 compressor-2019-09-21-14.56.24.png   New Klark Teknik 1176 compressor-2019-09-21-14.55.54.png  

Last edited by QueenSisi; 21st September 2019 at 02:03 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search