The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Klark Teknik 1176 compressor
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
Maybe I am odd (many probably think so) but I struggle with buying something that I immediately have to do something else to it to get it to be what I wanted in the first place. I went through this years ago when trying to get amps and pedals to sound like a Marshall when it was a lot cheaper in the long run to have simply bought what I wanted in the first place. I am wondering if some of these “clones” are really cheaper if I have to modify them to get them to sound like what I want them to sound like.
Some cheap gear is really good already.

My best use for a mod is to improve something that is "already good."

I have had bad luck trying to "transform" a cheap piece of gear -- it won't happen. If the gear sucks you're already dead in the water.

I wouldn't call tube rolling a mod necessarily but it could make a small improvement to something that has promise already.
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear

I`ll swap tubes the day i need new ones
The KT-2A rocks for the price and i like it as it is

But for those who want a close LA-2A clone i would take a look at the AudioScape Opto Compressor($999)
its supposed to be very close to the UA 2A HW
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I was making soup one time and my friends kept throwing a bunch of mushrooms in the crock pot. I wasn't really sure how it would end up, but in the end of things, it was delicious and everyone was pleased.
What kind of mushrooms were they? Were they of the magic variety by any chance?
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin View Post
What kind of mushrooms were they? Were they of the magic variety by any chance?
that might explain why we thought the soup was good, haha. That is a crazy bunch of friends.
Old 29th May 2019
Here for the gear
I changed hardware on my guitars, snipped a bright cap on my amp, changed a tube in my Rode K2 etc. Doesn't mean they aren't great products, just adds another level of personalisation to tone and ultimately recorded results. These units are great for what they are, be it clones, stand alone or for switching up tubes and tinkering. If they sound good and the build quality is there, whats it matter?
Old 30th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I think people just like to have a hand in things. From tube swapping, to changing parts, modding, whatever. I've even heard about this in songwriting, in Nashville some producer or party will change the song so they can put their stamp in it.

There has to be some psychological term for it but I don't know that field well enough. Maybe "Participation" works close enough.

I was making soup one time and my friends kept throwing a bunch of mushrooms in the crock pot. I wasn't really sure how it would end up, but in the end of things, it was delicious and everyone was pleased.

I think that's a feature of education as well, called facilitation, where the mentor gets the students or participants to become a part of the activity and results.

Anyway I have rolled some tubes in my day, it's fun, but I also view it as a gateway to larger things. In the scheme of electrical engineering or whatever you want to call it.
Yeah I remember buying NOS tubes from Bowie years ago to swap out the ones in my original ART GOLD Mpa. Trouble was, I had no idea what they did because my critical listening skills sucked and I didn't spend a lot of time with the stock tubes.

Recorded a friend singing through it with a CAD m177...he said he loved the results.

But I dunno, I'd have to go back and put the stock tubes in a again and really try to get an ear to what's going on.
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
My KT DN780 reverb still sounds decidedly lush and 80's with hints of AMS
You tugged my Reverb strings their Wiggy? Unfortunately I’ve never found a unit decent enough to purchase as either the Midi option is missing, the software a low version or the remote bung! 2 weeks was the longer I lasted and especially dealing with ALIVE as that almost quantec recirculating Reverb it’s something crazy in adding more, and more and....! Hint of AMS me think they nicked Marks Algorithms!

TLB!
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Eh....I get his point. But I don't think it warrants the title of the video. I'd buy it. And I've got several really great 1176's. I have the 2a, and yeah, it's cleaner than vintage ones, or the high end clones I've got. But that makes it PERFECT sometimes. If everything is the same, you've got no flexibility. I liked it on kick and snare in his examples, and even on the vocal to a degree. I can see that it wasn't bringing everything he wanted for that particular vocal performance, but that doesn't invalidate the unit. Overly emotional review with poor insight into long term solutions. IMO. YMMV.

Hard to hear his conclusion but sage advice. The reviewer was trying to make his point but failed to explain the real problem. The word he should of used is "crust" . It's what an 1176 does for vocals in a mix, it defines the vocal track with that percussive "1176" crust on transients that excites and energizes a performance to the point of sounding magical in a mix.. ..extraordinarily musical... ..urgent... ...bigger than life. . Sorry folks, the KT is in fact a very bad joke if you think you are going to get any type of professional "1176" sounding result...AT ALL. Bottom line, it doesn't do ANYTHING that ANY version of the legendary 1176 does that distinguishes it as a recording industry legend and responsible for so many classic tracks . Cheap crap like this will continue to make your recordings, no matter how much you try to convince yourself "it sounds close", non-competitive in any way with those made with quality gear. Yes, I've tested the new KT units and own four orig.1176's ....had at least that many more over the past 4 decades.

And although I probably sound like a negative old jackass, I'm just like all of you and had to pay dues for decades, scrimp and save, had my share of disappointments... it'd be nice if good gear was this cheap...but I would encourage you not to fall for this cruel epidemic of "pro-sumer" garbage that is killing music, wait just a little longer until you can save a little extra and not end up wasting your precious dollars on gimmicks like this...designed to offer you hope, take your money, and leave you wanting. Both the 1176 and Pultec KT clones are a bad joke at best, corporate money grabbing scams at worst.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

They couldve made a replica with their resources and it wouldn’t have been more expensive than a Warm.
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Nut
Dope hehe
once there were many reviews about ssl channel strips and neve channels and other high end gear. it surprised me that they sound so clean in a shoot-out. I have some neve and ssl gear myself. why should these things sound clean and compressors not? I have to be honest that I don't think the color of the 76KT is top notch either imo. But the kt-2a i like. I already give my answer for myself. if you think it is good enough then it is good enough.

but when it comes to clients who specifically ask for the blue stripe , then you are upset.
Old 2nd June 2019
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi View Post

but when it comes to clients who specifically ask for the blue stripe , then you are upset.
But the KT is not advertised as a blue stripe. It’s a rev D clone, it has nothing to do with a blue stripe.

It’s hard to believe clients would come to your studio because you have a 1176A blue stripe.
Old 3rd June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese View Post
Hard to hear his conclusion but sage advice. The reviewer was trying to make his point but failed to explain the real problem. The word he should of used is "crust" . It's what an 1176 does for vocals in a mix, it defines the vocal track with that percussive "1176" crust on transients that excites and energizes a performance to the point of sounding magical in a mix.. ..extraordinarily musical... ..urgent... ...bigger than life. . Sorry folks, the KT is in fact a very bad joke if you think you are going to get any type of professional "1176" sounding result...AT ALL. Bottom line, it doesn't do ANYTHING that ANY version of the legendary 1176 does that distinguishes it as a recording industry legend and responsible for so many classic tracks . Cheap crap like this will continue to make your recordings, no matter how much you try to convince yourself "it sounds close", non-competitive in any way with those made with quality gear. Yes, I've tested the new KT units and own four orig.1176's ....had at least that many more over the past 4 decades.

And although I probably sound like a negative old jackass, I'm just like all of you and had to pay dues for decades, scrimp and save, had my share of disappointments... it'd be nice if good gear was this cheap...but I would encourage you not to fall for this cruel epidemic of "pro-sumer" garbage that is killing music, wait just a little longer until you can save a little extra and not end up wasting your precious dollars on gimmicks like this...designed to offer you hope, take your money, and leave you wanting. Both the 1176 and Pultec KT clones are a bad joke at best, corporate money grabbing scams at worst.
I sure do appreciate your frank and unsettling remarks

Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Guru

I like it when people are honest too.
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Nut
Here's some honesty also. I have never used nor I claim to know how a true 1176 (any version) sounds like. I have had quite many cheapo rack compressors in my 25 years of recording and never had a feeling like when first using KT76. It is a clean, musical compressor, everything sounds better through it and that's good enough for me. The question should not be "is it like the 1176", it should be "does it make you want to make music...
Old 4th June 2019
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmutant View Post
Here's some honesty also. I have never used nor I claim to know how a true 1176 (any version) sounds like. I have had quite many cheapo rack compressors in my 25 years of recording and never had a feeling like when first using KT76. It is a clean, musical compressor, everything sounds better through it and that's good enough for me. The question should not be "is it like the 1176", it should be "does it make you want to make music...
+1000
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmutant View Post
Totally agree with my KT2a

Be nice to see Klark and Behringer start realising more original products now their name is known for good products to save all the comparing arguments. Wish they would make a nice stereo drum compressor
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
I know you didn't ask me but let me step in... A buddy of mine has two of those. Super nice sounding as is. From the get go. Default tubes inside. But man, oh man, he swapped Tubes for much better (never used, old production) NOS Tubes. Wow!!! WOOOOOW!!!
Are you aware of the exact tubes he used in the replacement?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalanarchist View Post
Are you aware of the exact tubes he used in the replacement?
I can't tell you exactly which went where but what I can tell you if I remember correctky he used RCA, Mullards and TFKs. He has plenty of Tubes from many different manufacturers so he was in position to try out a few combinations. Record, swap, record, swap... You know. Result was really obvious. I have a pair of KT-EQPs (another subject now) and some European and US Tubes lying around but somehow those still run on stock Bugeras. Oh well, maybe some day...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I occasionaly use a Waves CLA 76 (blue edition) on my mixbus to make my TR-909 drums pump a bit more, but ,although I really like the character, for some reason it ****s up all the transients. Would this do a better job and keep this kind of character, while still preserving the transients?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The KT-76 does not have a factory provided link for doing stereo compression. Using two of them unlinked can lead to some big image shifts in the left right balance. I know they can be modded to do stereo but that will never provide the integration provided by a dedicated piece.

The Drawmer 1978 is a purpose built stereo FET compressor for just a couple hundred more dollars (over the price of two KT-76). Considering how many more options the Drawmer provides besides stereo linked channels you really get a lot for that $200 upcharge over two of the cheapest FET compressors available.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the KT-76, four of them in my rack with a couple of WA-76 and a UA 1176 for comparison. It's just that if you're after a stereo bus compressor the Drawmer is made to do it. Besides being designed to do stereo the Drawmer has adjustable parallel compression control on the output, you can blend from none to wet-only and all points in-between. All this power in a single rack space with great metering.

I don't see Drawmer products get a lot of love but I've found them to be very high quality and useful.

Good luck and good music to all!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
The Drawmer 1978 is a purpose built stereo FET compressor for just a couple hundred more dollars (over the price of two KT-76). Considering how many more options the Drawmer provides besides stereo linked channels you really get a lot for that $200 upcharge over two of the cheapest FET compressors available.
Unfortunately, in Europe the Drawmer costs more than double the price of two KT-76 (Thomann sells them for about 900€, whereas a pair of KT-76 costs around 400€). Nevertheless, it must be a great unit.

Last edited by The Tenant; 4 weeks ago at 12:41 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoking View Post
I occasionaly use a Waves CLA 76 (blue edition) on my mixbus to make my TR-909 drums pump a bit more, but ,although I really like the character, for some reason it ****s up all the transients. Would this do a better job and keep this kind of character, while still preserving the transients?
Might alrdy be doing this, but put the comp on your drum or 909 bus vs. the entire mix bus if it's messing stuff up there, you can squash/pump it harder if it's just the drums. Also perhaps even more importantly is try parallel compressing with it, mixing in the compressed signal with the original signal. This will leave the transient peaks alone and coming through unaltered but can bring up the squash underneath to taste. Good luck
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Might alrdy be doing this, but put the comp on your drum or 909 bus vs. the entire mix bus if it's messing stuff up there, you can squash/pump it harder if it's just the drums. Also perhaps even more importantly is try parallel compressing with it, mixing in the compressed signal with the original signal. This will leave the transient peaks alone and coming through unaltered but can bring up the squash underneath to taste. Good luck
Thanks! Yes, I did try this too, but only with the software. Because 909 stereo output is double mono (never understood the use of this lol), I can just use the right output as dry channel and the left output for the parallel mix. When hearing demo's of hardware units (several clones of the 1176), when driven hard, they always seem to sound a bit more pleasant than the software clones.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Yep, that will work, I always parallel compress my drum bus and tend to use Final Mix Paralel Drums. However, if using a comp not in parallel, I just keep extending the attack until the transients remain.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Just got one and overall very impressed. It does have higher self noise than my other 1176s but not too drastic. Has anyone contacted Klark Teknik about this?

The sound is very cool, it sounds quite neutral until you get some strong compression going. It seems to enhance the lower mids subtlety to make the audio feel fuller.

The external build quality is great and for the money, it is insane value.

One thing I have noticed is that maybe the meter is not calibrated beyond the rear trim pot? It seems to compress before the meter moves?

I can see why people who get one end up getting another, super cool unit. I'd happily pay 2 or 3 times the price I paid for this...
Old 5 days ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post

One thing I have noticed is that maybe the meter is not calibrated beyond the rear trim pot? It seems to compress before the meter moves?
Yes, it seems it compress the double amount of db from what the needle shows. Lets say it shows 3db but to my ears and from what pro tools meeter shows it's like 6dbs. So basically if I aim for 6db of gain reduction the needle has to show me around 3.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Yes, it seems it compress the double amount of db from what the needle shows. Lets say it shows 3db but to my ears and from what pro tools meeter shows it's like 6dbs. So basically if I aim for 6db of gain reduction the needle has to show me around 3.
It's not easy to gauge gain reduction with a VU meter and the ballistics might not show very rapid audio.

I used to tape over the meters on the compressors in the studio, really focussed to listen and ignore the meter..

Either way I am really liking this unit, the compression is pretty smooth and it has pleasing subtle thick tone. Definitely not bright the unit I have, slightly mellow.

I've yet to try smashing something with all buttons in.

If it is this good, i am keen to try the KT-2a or whatever the frig it is called
Old 5 days ago
Emi
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's not easy to gauge gain reduction with a VU meter and the ballistics might not show very rapid audio.
That's true

Quote:
I used to tape over the meters on the compressors in the studio, really focussed to listen and ignore the meter..
+1000
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Anyone switched out the transformers in these? That has to be where it separates from the original

Output trafo looks easy to replace and is a $50 upgrade at Hairball
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
Anyone switched out the transformers in these? That has to be where it separates from the original

Output trafo looks easy to replace and is a $50 upgrade at Hairball
I don't think it's quite as easy as that. Respectfully, of course.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search