The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Highlight of Show was session by Bob Olhsson
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

Highlight of Show was session by Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson had a session at AES which was incredible- it was looking at the story of recording Marvin Gaye's "Whats Going On". It began by listening to the track and led into a wide range of discussions on Motown, recording, society, tech, etc.

For me was truly the highlight of the show. Bob is a great guy and very generous with information. Motown was the source of countless innovations that I had no idea started there. Bob brings a positive and 'no pretense' attitude that is refreshing and inspiring

GearSlutz is blessed to have him as a regular contributor

Thank You Bob!
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

Was this filmed?
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

Don't think so
Old 10th October 2016
Gear Addict

Normally the AES sessions are audio recorded for sale by mobiltape.com. Any one download is $16USD or $249 for the entire convention. However, I don't see Bob's session (RP11) available - yet. It's possible that mobiltape hasn't gotten to uploading the final day's recordings.
Old 11th October 2016
The amazing Mark Rubel [Of BBA and Pogo Studio fame] was the moderator with Bob, and I was so sad to miss it [family obligations]. Bob has such a great perspective and wealth of knowledge. This is a part of the very unique AES Raw Tracks series and they are NOT ever filmed.

These are 'Raw Tracks' [the actual multi tracks] and inside stories from the people who were actually there, and we couldn't do these if they ended up on video/the web, as we only have permission to show the tracks on a one time and very limited basis. We ask / beg people not to use their phones to record this, and monitor the audience for this. We wouldn't be able to get the tapes and the producer/engineers to do this if it was recorded or shown all over the web.

Mark hosted the Beach Boys / Pet Sounds with Mark Linnett two years ago [amazing], I hosted Darrel Thorp talking about Becks 'Morning Phase' and Lake Street Dive this year, Jack Douglas / Aerosmith and Lennon and Warren Huart and the Fray last year, and Ken Calliat and Fleetwood Mac / Rumors the year before. Mark has hosted Andrew Scheps / RHCP as well, and this year had George Massenberg and Kenny Moran with EWF !!!!! There have been some really great other portions of this series including inside the Nashville production world, and this year a great vinyl panel [both with Nashville's and Belmont's Jim Kaiser], and a look at the Latin American scene with Andres Mayo, etc.. The Recording and Production track [under which Raw Track falls as does Platinium Production and Mastering] is something I look forward to every year at the AES and is expanding in good ways- [Teri Winston of WAM fame hosted several great panels this year as did Tom Kenney and Glen Lorbecki and others]. Yes you must be present to win!

Best-
Jonathan

Last edited by [email protected]; 12th October 2016 at 04:23 PM..
Old 11th October 2016
Motown legend

I've been giving talks to Mark's Blackbird students so he prepared a "best of" set of questions.

Motown was such a team effort that one can't honestly take credit for much beyond being a fly on an incredible wall. I think a lot of what we were doing at the tail end of the '50s/'60s singles era couldn't be more relevant to today's new singles era. The difference, unfortunately, is that the ten to twenty paying live gigs a month for most young artists no longer exist.
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The amazing Mark Rubel [Of BBA and Pogo Studio fame] was the moderator with Bob, and I was so sad to miss it [family obligations]. Bob has such a great perspective and wealth of knowledge. This is a part of the very unique AES Raw Tracks series and they are NOT ever filmed.

These are 'Raw Tracks' [the actual multi tracks] and inside stories from the people who were actually there, and we couldn't do these if they ended up on video/the web, as we only have permission to show the tracks on a one time and very limited basis. We ask / beg people not to use their phones to record this, and monitor the audience for this. We wouldn't be able to get the tapes and the producer/engineers to do this if it was recorded or shown all over the web.

Mark hosted the Beach Boys / Pet Sounds with Mark Linnett two years ago [amazing], I hosted Darrel Thorp talking about Becks 'Morning Phase' and Lake Street Dive this year, Jack Douglas / Aerosmith and Lennon last year, and Ken Calliat and Fleetwood Mac / Rumors the year before. Mark has hosted Andrew Scheps / RHCP as well, and this year had George Massenberg and Kenny Moran with EWF !!!!! There have been some really great other portions of this series including inside the Nashville production world, and this year a great vinyl panel [both with Nashville's and Belmont's Jim Kaiser], and a look at the Latin American scene, etc.. The Recording and Production track [under which Raw Track falls] is something I look forward to every year at the AES and is expanding in good ways- [Teri Winston of WAM fame hosted several great panels this year]. Yes you must be present to win!

Best-
Jonathan
Thanks Jonathon, these sessions are worth the price of admission for AES, and yours are right up there with the best! The Warren Hyatt one was in NY was fantastic
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I've been giving talks to Mark's Blackbird students so he prepared a "best of" set of questions.

Motown was such a team effort that one can't honestly take credit for much beyond being a fly on an incredible wall. I think a lot of what we were doing at the tail end of the '50s/'60s singles era couldn't be more relevant to today's new singles era. The difference, unfortunately, is that the ten to twenty paying live gigs a month for most young artists no longer exist.
Thank you again Bob, my head is still spinning from some of the insights you shared.

Maybe today's gigs are YouTube videos!
Old 12th October 2016
Motown legend

I said PAID gigs!They went away in the '80s.

I think the biggest opportunity may be streaming live shows. The cost of doing that has come way way down.
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear

Sounds awesome. I'm a little sad though that things like this aren't documented as important insights into culture and musical history.
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I said PAID gigs!They went away in the '80s.

I think the biggest opportunity may be streaming live shows. The cost of doing that has come way way down.
Yup, I graduated High School in 1981 and played gigs starting when I was about 16. We actually made really good money back then!

That's why I work in IT consulting, its the way the music industry used to be!
Old 13th October 2016
Motown legend

We're back to some combination of the parlor performances of the late 1800s, the live radio broadcasts of the '30s and '40s and the loft parties of the '50s along with the fan-owned record shops and labels of the same era.

The good news is that I watched Albert Grossman and Bill Graham build the music business as we know it in just five years from the ashes of the big band era promoters. A new generation can restore the importance of music to people provided they are creative and not just imitating the past 40 years.
Old 13th October 2016
Gear Guru
I would suggest for those that don't have a subscription, Tape Op magazine. It's free and they often have interviews with mixers that are really interesting. Bob is great to have on here and it really is wonderful that people of his caliber contribute. I'll buy the book when he writes it!....
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGTR View Post
Bob Olhsson had a session at AES which was incredible- it was looking at the story of recording Marvin Gaye's "Whats Going On". It began by listening to the track and led into a wide range of discussions on Motown, recording, society, tech, etc.

For me was truly the highlight of the show. Bob is a great guy and very generous with information. Motown was the source of countless innovations that I had no idea started there. Bob brings a positive and 'no pretense' attitude that is refreshing and inspiring

GearSlutz is blessed to have him as a regular contributor

Thank You Bob!
I had the pleasure of doing a couple sessions as an "artist" with Bob as Engineering Overlord 10 years ago in Nashville. Bob is like Johnny Appleseed with his wisdom and Santa Claus with his gifts. I've carried those couple days for 10 years now and use the knowledge he dispensed or inferred and the attitude he exhibited everyday I walk in my studio. Thanks Bob.

(I also got to sing into the Marvin U67. I tell my kids I swapped spit with Marvin Gaye. )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search