The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
autotune on analog
Old 14th October 2002
Here for the gear

autotune on analog

hey, cool forum here. i just started working with a band that already has a finished album that they recorded at another studio in town. over all it was a really bad experience from what they told me. They wanted to record analog but the engineer wouldn’t let them, not only that he replaced most of the guitars with stuff he played himself and to top it all off they couldn’t use the mastering engineer they wanted because that engineer has been blacklisted! so they dropped the project after it was mixed and are starting from scratch at the place i work

the only thing they liked was that he spent a lot of time tuning vocals in his computer. now this band won’t let me put audio anywhere near our pro tools system so i can’t tune the vocals in that. i need to use the hardware autotune which is ok even though I don’t like it as much. my question is that with 4-6 tracks of vocals and only one atr1 how can i get all of this done? should i try to track all their vocals through it on the way to tape?
Old 14th October 2002
Lives for gear

bounce, baby bounce.. this will take a bit, but I would never never nevr print it during tracking.. unless you have the tracks to burn a tuned and non tuned vocal at the same time...
Old 14th October 2002
Lives for gear

I prefer the TC Intonator unit over the Atr 1. Try to track them "right" the first time anyway. If you must try it in the tracking process, make sure the vocalist monitors the INPUT, not the output of the autotune. They will try to compensate for their own eff ups which usually only makes them sing even further out of tune.

If you track them first, them tune them, this will also give you the option to fix them via pro tools if worse comes to worse.
Old 14th October 2002
Lives for gear

DONT TUNE ANYONE!
kick in the balls till they sing correctly.
Old 14th October 2002
One with big hooves

For starters it sounds like the other engineer is missing the point of recording and it sucks that people like that are out there. I think I know who the engineer is but that's not really the point. The client should get what they want unless it's a really bad idea. Without them (clients) we can't put food on the table so why piss them off?

As for vocal tuning, don't track through it because you'll only screw up the singers. I'd record each vocal to it's own track and then bounce it over to a new track with the ATR-1 in the path. You'll also be able to get a little pickier about the settings and tune it for specific lines or words if needed. And try getting them to sing in tune before you reach for the black box.
Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

There's allways the old fashioned way...

As long as the singer(s) can actualy sing in the first place you should make them do it. The ancient art of Pun-ching will be a helluva lot more believable than the Antares for the majority of the track(s). I'll use autotune only for something that was missed when tracking or as an effect... not my favorite thing but sometimes it works.
Old 15th October 2002
Here for the gear

since you asked the engineers initials are WD and he works at a place called PC. i'm sure you know the palce, personally i'm surpized that he gets the work he does cause it all sounds like junk to me and other people i know think hes a joke.

i wanted to try and avoid bouning because of the noise off the record head but i guess if thats the only way to do it i will. what if i slaved a da-88 and recorded the vox on that then bounce it over to 2"? would that be better?
Old 16th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kemp
i wanted to try and avoid bouning because of the noise off the record head but i guess if thats the only way to do it i will. what if i slaved a da-88 and recorded the vox on that then bounce it over to 2"? would that be better?
That would defeat the purpose of recording analog in the 1st place. I look foward to the day the DA88 and ADAT formats are completely gone.

You could automate on insert on the 9000j, or if on another console, mult the lead and 'tune' the 2nd channel while muting the 1st channel when you want to tune a word here or there. Only prob there is if you are using a signal chain for your lead, you'll have to copy it on the multed track as well.

Or just hire an "Autotune" singer to come in secretly after everyone has gone home and retrack the whole thing and swear it's the lead singer after you "Harmonically Intotated the odd ordered tunings". If they don't fall for that, say you used a "Flux Capacitor".
Old 16th October 2002
I just did some vocals on some tracks with a wobbly young vocalist. You know what my criteria was?

- Get em in good enough shape for Auto Tune! (DAW - graphic version)

That said, I knew that was going to be the case from the moment I 'talent' (!) spotted them at a gig.

Sad but true....

Still they are a great act, I have suggested singing lessons. He screams a lot, several times we had to give him an asprin! He gave himself a headache! He has fainted once on stage after screaming a lot!

heh
Old 16th October 2002
One with big hooves

I've been there, having to get someone close enough for Autotune to do it's thing without sounding really funky. It pretty much sucks because it's a lot of work for a mediocre result.

BTW, I had asked you in a private message who the engineer was... I really didn't want it posted... Publicly trashing another engineer really isn't good karma.
Old 16th October 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
DONT TUNE ANYONE!
kick in the balls till they sing correctly.
What happens if she's an extremely cute, but musically challenged girl?

With an expensive contract...
Old 16th October 2002
One with big hooves

Purple nurple? yuktyy
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Purple nurple? yuktyy
Performed with a loving, intimate, yet purposeful caress... heh
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

Anyone else remember running vocals through a harmonizer to autotune punch notes? Or worse yet, wild vso'ing a tape machine to get the pitch up or down and punching in? Come to think of it, we used to VSO down during tracking to help singers reach those higher notes. Seems like lifetimes ago.

I once had a runner goto a party shop to TRY and buy a helium tank. No chips, so we got a carfull of ballons for the singer to inhale because he sang flat ALL of the time (in a non-cool, non-human, pure suck kind of way). After like ballon #14 I think he yanked in a garbage can. But we got the take.
Old 17th October 2002
One with big hooves

Haha, ballons?! Cool. I do the vari-speed thing while tracking all the time. One of the reasons I'm not working on a DAW is because there's no VSO. If someone is close but not quite there I'll use the black box or maybe do a slightly downward pitchshift, just a few cents to cover things up and make it a bit thicker. Reverb doesn't work, all you get is out of tune reverb and then you need to send everything through the verb to make it sound like a cohesive product. Then it starts sounding like something from 1984.
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
One of the reasons I'm not working on a DAW is because there's no VSO.
Uhm, Yeah there is. I do it in protools all the time. It will eff up if you are clocking externally or working on a dig desk, etc... It can sound kind of funky, I will give you that, but so does analog to a certain extent.
Old 18th October 2002
One with big hooves

Analog VSO can sound a little funky if there are speed fluxuations but it's nowhere near as bad as VSO on a DAW. Honestly, I think the best VSO is on Adats or DA-X8 decks.
Old 19th October 2002
Lives for gear

Fair Enough. This is an issue I've taken up with digi. But those people will tell you that they are working to improve everything all the time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search