The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tone Beast inserts into a single balanced insert. What's the trick here?
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Tone Beast inserts into a single balanced insert. What's the trick here?

I picked up a Tone Beast to mess around a few weeks with and then today I found a used inductor based EQ for $150 but it only has one single balanced insert point, and the TB has two separate ones here. I have a good idea what cable I need for it but wanted to run it past anyone in case there's something I might need to know before I try it out.
This should work out fine, shouldn't it?

Hosa CYS103 - 3' | Sweetwater.com
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear
No, you need two cables. One from the insert out to the eq in, and one from the eq out to the insert return.
Or forget the insert altogether and just go preamp out to eq in, eq out to interface/mixer/whatever.
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
No, you need two cables. One from the insert out to the eq in, and one from the eq out to the insert return.
Or forget the insert altogether and just go preamp out to eq in, eq out to interface/mixer/whatever.
I think you misunderstand. The ONLY jack whatsoever on the EQ is a balanced insert. Nothing else. Zilch.
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear
I think the issues is, you need a new kind of cable called an insert cable. One end of the cable is a TRS, the other two ends are TS. I think the tip is send and Ring is return.

So it's an unbalanced signal. The stereo plug is both send and return.
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I think the issues is, you need a new kind of cable called an insert cable. One end of the cable is a TRS, the other two ends are TS. I think the tip is send and Ring is return.

So it's an unbalanced signal. The stereo plug is both send and return.
The one I linked to in my original post?
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Addict
No, the one you need is has one TRS end and two TS ends.
Dan
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear
Dan is right. FYI- If the cable is not labeled and you don't have a voltimeter, there's a 50% chance you'll hook it up backwards.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search