The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DIYRE Colour Modules....Who's Got them
Old 7th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Companda View Post
So i’ve a question that hopefully can be answered here, well 2.

TM79 vs CTX?

Toneloc vs MN50?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Only having owned the TM79 I can’t offer much help, but since no one has chimed in... I can say I didn’t love the TM79 and think that CTX would be a safe bet. Not to bash TM79, it just didn’t do anything for me, but a lot of people really like it.

I haven’t tried Toneloc or the Smash comp and I’m eyeing those ones myself. LTL just started offering a version of the Smash with some tweaks, sound interesting. I do love IMPLODE.

So FWIW, I don’t think you can go wrong, but from personal experience I can definitely recommend Mass Drivr and Royal Blue for transformer Colour (though they’re more than that), and IMPLODE for a killer compressor Colour.
Old 7th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
I can definitely recommend Mass Drivr and Royal Blue for transformer Colour (though they’re more than that), and IMPLODE for a killer compressor Colour.
I have Mass Drivr and its cool, a bit of weight then it clips/drives nicely...how much different is Royal Blue?
Old 7th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I have Mass Drivr and its cool, a bit of weight then it clips/drives nicely...how much different is Royal Blue?
They’re quite different. RB doesn’t drive like MD. MD is more tough and ballsy. RB is more pretty and the high shelf is a great sounding shelf. I really really like them both.
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks for your response.

Deep down I think I knew MD would be a better choice.

I bought an HRK stereo colour initially for a pair of mn50 but am now wondering whether a transformer is a better option. I, like many, have sound toys Devil loc so wondering if the smash comp is as valuable to me as a pair of something else. Mass Drivr might be on the cards.
Old 7th June 2019
Quote:
Thanks for your response.

Deep down I think I knew MD would be a better choice.

I bought an HRK stereo colour initially for a pair of mn50 but am now wondering whether a transformer is a better option. I, like many, have sound toys Devil loc so wondering if the smash comp is as valuable to me as a pair of something else. Mass Drivr might be on the cards.
The C2584 has 2 Colour slots per channel. Get both!
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
So i’ve a question that hopefully can be answered here, well 2.

TM79 vs CTX?

Toneloc vs MN50?

Any thoughts appreciated.
For what purpose?

In general I find the CTX to be much more subtle than the TM79 but both aim for subtle saturation. The Toneloc and MN-50 are really different versions of similar beasts - the Toneloc has no adjustments while the MN-50 has adjustable release and drive (I believe - could be wrong about the drive control) They are both kinda dirty, grabby compressors but have distinct flavours - I'd guess your preference will depend on your ears and what you use them on.

Regards,
John
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Guru

I've got Mass Drivr's, Royal Blues, Implodes, LTL-mod Smash's, Pentodes, RTAir's, FET Filters, Super Filters, XQP's, and TSX's. Happy to answer any questions about them.

The ones that see the most use during production and mixing are the Comps and the transformer / tube saturation modules - i.e. Mass Drivr, Royal Blue, Implode, Smash, Pentode.

Smash is KILLER for the Stomps / Claps thing that's in my current Americana projects. It's kind of a one trick pony, but what a trick! The Implodes are very versatile, and really do that 1176 thing well. Combined with Mass Drivr, the saturation and tone shaping options are off the rails. For tracking I'll swap out something for Super Filters or FET filters and have MD or RB followed by a Filter which follows whatever mic pre I'm using for a more full console-like sound during tracking.

I host them mostly in 12 MrFocus modules - 11 in a CAPI rack, and the last one in a heritage rack. I've got 4 11 space 500 racks, so one Heritage 4 space rack picks up the 12th module for all 4 11 space racks, keeping my patch bays organized, filled to the max, and happy. Although there are only 2 colour slots in Mr Focus, the Focus EQ along with the drive-blend and mix features more than makes up for not having a 3rd slot for my applications. Honestly, I can't imagine using the Colour modules without Mr. Focus and it's extra features. I'm not interested in any of the "standard" style hosts.

I use Pentode's or Implodes in my Chroma's so they have API, Neve and Tube flavors or a Compressor - all on tap with the click of a button / twist of a pot. Super sweet there to have so many options.

For mixing, I essentially use the Mr. Focus / Colour implementations as "analog presets". When I'm mixing I try not to really be swapping modules, and try to leave settings fairly stable during mixing for recall purposes.

Loving having all these colour options available to patch in. My mixing system is hybrid with 96 i/o on my HDX system.
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Addict

Thank you to everyone for all the responses.

Dr Bill I’ve been following the hybrid mixing thread so understand your passion for this area of audioville and if I had the cash I’d certainly be going through the LTL catalogue.

I originally wanted to get into the colour range because of the mn50 so I think I’ll stick to that. Like all gear it’s easy to have your green eyes pulled this way and that even if you think your decision is made.

I already have 2 of HRK’s GT console colours which is why I’m looking for only two of one colour at the moment. I might get 2 MD down the line to compare.
Old 11th June 2019
Enjoying my colours, I've got 6 Bart HRK C544's with 4 slots each.

My favourite module right now is the HRK Soviet Pentode, got most of the HRK modules, the CTX and just ordered 2 LTL Mass Drivr and 2 LTL Super Filters... I can't wait for them to arrive, then all my slots will be full.

I run them through an IGS Bison, it allows for m/s and has a wet/dry blend, a very cool little unit!

Very happy with my little colour box
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post

My favourite module right now is the HRK Soviet Pentode, got most of the HRK modules, the CTX and just ordered 2 LTL Mass Drivr and 2 LTL Super Filters... I can't wait for them to arrive, then all my slots will be full.

I run them through an IGS Bison, it allows for m/s and has a wet/dry blend, a very cool little unit!

Cool! How would you describe the Soviet Pentode? Do you have the US as well?
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

Very interested to hear how the MD goes compared to HRK stuff. Have you the GT console?
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
Cool! How would you describe the Soviet Pentode? Do you have the US as well?
Soviet has a really nice thick sound, it's amazing with virtual synths, I also have the US, it's different, a bit brighter. I haven't tried the Pentode modes yet, only the Triode modes. I might switch them over when I put the LTL's in
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Very interested to hear how the MD goes compared to HRK stuff. Have you the GT console?
I have the GT, it's quite gluey on a mix, I've found it handy for taming higher frequencies. I haven't played with it that much though. I thought it would be a little brighter but I like what it does.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have the GT, it's quite gluey on a mix, I've found it handy for taming higher frequencies. I haven't played with it that much though. I thought it would be a little brighter but I like what it does.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, cheers.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Would you care to describe the rest of the HRK colours?

Am thinking of getting 2x 4 slots and 8 different HRK colours to try out

Then keep 4 of them and get doubles for stereo use

Cheers
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU View Post
Would you care to describe the rest of the HRK colours?

Am thinking of getting 2x 4 slots and 8 different HRK colours to try out

Then keep 4 of them and get doubles for stereo use

Cheers
I don't have the discrete saturation or the VCA.

The line driver and opamp are quite subtle, but you can drive into them for some nice harmonics (opamp is more coloured for me), I really like both.

The British console and EQ... I would use on more delicate material, the demos on the site speak for themselves. Nice top end.

The Easy EQ Si and Ge have a bigger sound, compared to the British EQ, the Ge is bigger than the Si, I think I prefer the Ge, but they both work great on different material. All the EQ's are a little fiddly to dial in, you'd probably want the extension cable thing to make life easier.

If I had to choose 4 pairs from HRK, I would start with the line driver, opamp, soviet pentode and EQ Ge.
Old 4 weeks ago
So my LTL modules arrived (ordered via DIYRE), 1st impressions...

Mass Drivr: Nice! exactly what I expected... turn them on, leave them on.
Super Filter: This impressed me the most, tight with very nice saturation.

Packaging was excellent

I guess I need to buy more C544's now and another rack...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I guess I need to buy more C544's now and another rack...
I'd highly suggest the LTL Mr. Focus modules. Fidelity, forward thinking, etc.. I'll never host a color module in anything else. My $0.02. I've got 12 of them now. All full. Used on every mix. Colour + the Tilt (Focus) filter is off the hook.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I'd highly suggest the LTL Mr. Focus modules. Fidelity, forward thinking, etc.. I'll never host a color module in anything else. My $0.02. I've got 12 of them now. All full. Used on every mix. Colour + the Tilt (Focus) filter is off the hook.
Bill I see 3 different focus modules on the LTL site.
which ones do you recommend?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
hey Hunter!

They are all good. All have kind of different purposes, and the only REAL difference between the mrF variants is what you have loaded in them, and the faceplate which leans into EQ, Comp(ressor), RGB or Stage II - which is designed to follow your mic pre's as an extra (console style) discrete stage. So pick your poison. Or go RGB which is unloaded and you fill it with what you like.

I have 12.
Smash Compressor followed by Mass Drivr (API line card) - KILLER! The best for smashing drum rooms / stomps-Claps, etc. that I've ever used. Better than 1176, or anything else I've got.

The Implode Comp followed by Mass Drivr is cool too, although I'd guess you have quite a few 1176's. I leave mine set where I like the sweet spot, and then use the drive and blend to suit. I don't use it to "compress" as much as I do to Compress/Color. Works great for that.

All the Stage II's - Mass Drivr, Royal Blue (Neve line card with HF lift that's definable / defeatable) and Pentode (tube) are great and you can drive them from subtle to pretty hairy. The Super Filter card that follows is sweet and has multiple options for HPF, saturation, etc.. This takes a normal simple pre and makes it sound more like it's going thru a console - ala how we used to do things.

The EQ's are cool too. I mostly use the RogueTec Air which is a Pultec HF curve with API line stage followed by the Neve card. It's nice for adding an airy, sweet - but kinda ever so slightly grainy (API) top end. The cool thing is, it's actually a lot more useful than you might think of a "set freq" EQ. The blend, drive and tilt allow a LOT of tailoring of the EQ curve, and they work really well for me in the context that I use them.

I mostly do "weight" stuff with the RGB's. Mass DRivr into Royal Blue or Pentode into Royal Blue. Adds lots of "weight" to the sound and can be driven pretty hard to get that grind going.

I use these all like "analog presets" to add Colour to the sound. Often in conjunction with other pieces of gear that need "just a little more". I don't use them in a traditional Compressor / EQ type way, although if you're willing to pull them and tweak, you certainly can. I get em where I like and leave em. If I need hands on tweaking on an EQ or a finesse compressor, I'll move elsewhere normally.

ALSO, don't overlook the Focus (tilt) filter. Absolutely awesome for tracking and / or mixing.

If you need more direction, let me know what you're looking for and I'll make a more directed suggestion.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
With blend and FOCUS, not to mention optional boost mode AND the ability to route the FOCUS circuit pre or post, the Mr Focus cards leave all the other Colour hosts in the dust for sure. But I’m plenty happy with my DIYRE and HRK hosts as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Hi Hunter,

Feel free to give me a ring and I'd be happy to walk you through everything. As Bill mentioned the only difference between them all is the faceplate and what Colours are installed. It's basically the In-N-Out menu model so that people don't get analysis paralysis.

Obviously I'm biased, but I feel that in order to get the full experience of the LTL Colour modules, Mister Focus rocks for following reasons:

1. A Drive (C-DRV) control that has an intuitive volume contour. As you turn up the Drive, the output is simultaneously attenuated, but in a way where there isn't any loss of level. It just works the way you would expect. This enhances workflow. Also the range of gain goes from -6 dB to +18 dB. This gives the widest sweet spot and excellent creative flexibilty. The LTL modules are designed to sound "nominal" in that -6 dB to +6 dB zone. From there you start pushing into more obvious saturated tones, which you may or may not want depending on the application. I believe that shades of subtle can often be more important for professional applications, and thus I design accordingly (I'm not designing FX pedals). Word on the street is that the LTL and DIYRE hosts allow for lower gains and thus more subtle tones.

2. A wet/dry Mix (C-MIX) control that allows you to really expand the capability of what Colour is. IMHO this feature is imperative when using various EQ and compressor modules, or when driving saturation modules hard. The C-MIX knob enables EQ modules to be variable boosts or cuts.

3. The Focus EQ - it's amazing how handy it is to be able to make things a little brighter or a little darker, in addition to other coloration you are you doing. In many cases this can even alleviate the need for other EQ moves on the track. Put this tilt-style filter pre or post Colour and you have a lot of tonal flexibility.

I'm happy to answer any questions or make recommendations.

cheers,
Brad
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Just a fun FYI :
Attached Thumbnails
DIYRE Colour Modules....Who's Got them-ltl-mr.focus-rack.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

12 secret weapons!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Just a fun BOOYAH!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Love it
Thanks guys!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

@ drBill

I only just read you had XQPs. I’m about to make a puchase and am pretty much down to Colouruptor or MN50(not LTL version). You mention claps and stomps - i’m Doing something where stomps, thudding/clunking tools, basically a mob that comes closer and is more distant and so on. Would you say Smash is the way to go?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
@ drBill

I only just read you had XQPs. I’m about to make a puchase and am pretty much down to Colouruptor or MN50(not LTL version). You mention claps and stomps - i’m Doing something where stomps, thudding/clunking tools, basically a mob that comes closer and is more distant and so on. Would you say Smash is the way to go?

Smash!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

2 smashes, a colourupter (kit) and Colourphone (kit) arriving tomorrow. Just need some time delivered too.

I can’t wait to get-a-smashing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just a fun FYI :
What eleven space 500 series racks are you using?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search