Old 2nd May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by leitmo View Post
last year i built a 1u rack including:

2 x tm79
2 x ctx
2 x jet
2 x pentode

they were wired in stereo so it was a 4 stereo channel (8mono).

I was decided to build blend control but I gave up this idea after a small talk with Peterson from DIYRE. As these modules produce a subtle effect it would be a waste of space and efforts to fit 8 blend controls.

I used to run stems through them. Having a patchbay is convenient so I can hook them up in series, just one module, etc).

Here is the thread of my build, I also built an external PSU wired for 220-240V:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic...2053#msg772053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I think the blend control is actually an extremely useful feature especially for compressor modules like Implode and the Toneloc. I have implemented such a feature into my new Chroma 500 series module, which as @ 12tone implied does indeed have a Colour slot. Chroma is essentially a single channel incarnation of the Silver bullet with an analog plugin expansion slot. There is both drive (C-DRV) and blend (C-MIX). Because of the unique way I've implemented the blend control I'm able to turn equalization Colours like Rogue-Tec Air or FET Filter into fully variable EQ plugins. This is a total game-changer for the Colour platform IMHO.

Big Bear Audio makes the MP1 and MP1+ which are fully assembled mic preamps with a Colour slot.

I'm really really close to launching Chroma... I think this will be the year that Colour breaks out of the DIY scene into the mainstream. Stay tuned!

Brad
I agree that blend would be great. I'm mostly using these just engaged with just like 2 clicks. Extreme settings are not very useful to me without paralleling the original signal in.

They should should add a separate clean fader like they're going to with the OLA.
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Head

I absolutely love the Pentode. Sounds great on virtually anything but I'm partial to using it on synths. Hats off to Louder Than Liftoff (and DIYRE of course). I'm eager to try more of their gear.

I just soldered up a 15IPS and Colourphone last night... can't wait to play with them! I also use a Rogue 5 opamp in my CP5 preamp but am thinking of switching it for a CTX.
Old 7th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfiii View Post
I absolutely love the Pentode. Sounds great on virtually anything but I'm partial to using it on synths. Hats off to Louder Than Liftoff (and DIYRE of course). I'm eager to try more of their gear.

I just soldered up a 15IPS and Colourphone last night... can't wait to play with them! I also use a Rogue 5 opamp in my CP5 preamp but am thinking of switching it for a CTX.
Thanks for the compliment! If you are looking to try out more of my Colour modules, you might be interested in knowing that I just released the new FET Filter and Mass Drivr modules, both of which are now shipping.

FET Filter

Mass Drivr

Brad
Old 30th May 2018
Lives for gear

anyone here has got experience with red-25 opamp from DIYRE?
are they on par with gar2520?
Old 12th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post

That reminds me... I need to build my new Palette MkII kits.

Brad
Come on Brad! You've been teasing about these for ages, just take my money already!
Old 12th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbonefinger View Post
Come on Brad! You've been teasing about these for ages, just take my money already!
Chroma has been out a while now. I believe he is referring to DIYRE’s (Colour) “Palette mk2”, the current iteration Peterson’s Colour host.
Old 12th June 2018
Sorry, I was thinking of something else. Move along, nothing to see here
Old 24th September 2018
Gear Head

Hey I'd just like to bump this thread to see if we've had anymore DIYRE converts? New impressions? Head to head comparisons?
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterphoneman View Post
Hey I'd just like to bump this thread to see if we've had anymore DIYRE converts? New impressions? Head to head comparisons?
I've been using a couple of DIYRE's "70's bundle" kits for mastering Hip Hop projects since around August. I use them as ADAT inserts as the first process for mixes that I get that might need a good amount of "umph" and have a ton of headroom (smashed mixes can't get this love, lol). I have these coming into PT through a Lucid 88192, and the final process is my HEDD 192. I've been using the HEDD's process on mixes for years now, but I can only apply it at the end of the chain, so I'm familiar with the one-button process for saturation on things and I'm happy that these Colour modules sound completely different. A little goes a long way, and the more headroom I have on mixes, the better. I like being able to place these before EQ, or between other processes, etc.

I also got a couple of EQP5s from DIYRE that are flying my way as I type this, I'm hoping to get these soon so I can build them during the holiday break. I plan on using those on the master bus (got them with the DOA option too) and I'm also going to be picking up a couple of Royal Blue cards from Louder Than Liftoff in '19. So far, I'm loving these!
Old 25th February 2019
I'm currently waiting on a pair of HRK C544's and a few of the HRK modules.

I was just wondering... apart from DIYRE, HRK and Louder than Liftoff... are there any other good module makers out there worth checking out?

Thanks
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

I have to say I’m a little disappointed (though not particularly surprised) that the format hasn’t taken off more. LTL is pretty much singlehandedly keeping the format afloat, with Bart HRK being the only other company developing new modules and DIYRE working on a new host. But aside from those guys we aren’t seeing a lot of support for the format.
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Guru

Brad McGowan is doing a lot with color modules, Louder Than Liftoff brand.

there's other companies like Big Bear Audio

I think you missed a few
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Brad McGowan is doing a lot with color modules, Louder Than Liftoff brand.

there's other companies like Big Bear Audio

I think you missed a few
I mentioned LTL, and while Big Bear does make a Colour host that I forgot about the modules they sell are the Bart HRK ones which I also mentioned.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
DIYRE working on a new host.
do tell???
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I mentioned LTL, and while Big Bear does make a Colour host that I forgot about the modules they sell are the Bart HRK ones which I also mentioned.
sorry I skimmed over that, my bad
Old 25th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
do tell???
Dual mono rack unit effectively bringing the CP5 and the Palette together(mic and line ins, 48v, pad, pol, 3 Colour slots) with integrated HPF, and 50/50 (switched) parallel mix. (Did I miss anything?) Check out their YouTube channel. They have a video up talking about it.
Old 25th February 2019
Quote:
I have to say I’m a little disappointed (though not particularly surprised) that the format hasn’t taken off more. LTL is pretty much singlehandedly keeping the format afloat, with Bart HRK being the only other company developing new modules and DIYRE working on a new host. But aside from those guys we aren’t seeing a lot of support for the format.
That is pretty much true, however a lot of the DIYRE branded ones are really others’ designs: XQP, Eisen, David Evans, Tonecraft, Eithan Winer. But I’d also love to see more and more get on board and put out more Colours. It’s such a great format.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Here's what I recommend folks do if you'd like to see other companies make Colour modules or Colour equipped products. Simply call them up and ask. Many companies out there are aware of the format and some even have an interest in developing for it. But people get busy doing their own thing and just need to be reminded. Make your voices heard! Most are not listening on Gearslutz. Pick up the phone and make some calls.

Brad
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
That is pretty much true, however a lot of the DIYRE branded ones are really others’ designs: XQP, Eisen, David Evans, Tonecraft, Eithan Winer. But I’d also love to see more and more get on board and put out more Colours. It’s such a great format.
Correct, but those were all developed pretty shortly after the Colour format was announced. What I’m saying is that outside of Brad (LTL) and Bart HRK we aren’t seeing any continuing development for the format. I’d have liked to have seen more manufacturers throwing their hats into the ring, but it seems that after the initial enthusiasm died down nobody really viewed it as financially worthwhile.

It’s a niche product at the moment; maybe that could change if there’s ever a host that gains widespread popularity, but presently the closest thing we have to that is the Chroma which despite being a seemingly cool product doesn’t have the same hype surrounding it as the Silver Bullet (stereo bus processors being as trendy as they are.) IMO it would take something like a Colour-based Silver Bullet or SSL Fusion to really put the format on the map - something that would appeal to a wide audience, even those who already have their preamp bases covered and/or aren’t interested in or don’t have available space in a 500 rack.

Another possibility is that what is needed is a “Colour 2.0” format that allows for a couple of pots/switches - something more akin to the SCA stuff, or some of the modular guitar preamps. Maybe even incorporate stereo linking for compressor modules. It wouldn’t work as well for the 500 series but would allow for 19” rack gear with swappable mojo, EQ, and compressor cards which could hold some promise, especially if stereo bus processors continue to grow in popularity. Of course there you run into the problem of finding a happy medium where you get more functionality than the existing Colour format provides but don’t go so far to where you’re basically reinventing the 500 format. Does such a medium exist? I think it might, but again it would take the right product to come along and popularize the idea.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
Dual mono rack unit effectively bringing the CP5 and the Palette together(mic and line ins, 48v, pad, pol, 3 Colour slots) with integrated HPF, and 50/50 (switched) parallel mix. (Did I miss anything?) Check out their YouTube channel. They have a video up talking about it.
cheers, found it:

YouTube
Old 14th March 2019
I just jumped on the boat, I bought two preamps from HRK and loaded them with two modules each but I'm already thinking about buying something to treat the tracks after the recording... a couple of channels loaded with several colors.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

I just jumped into the format also, 2 HRK 544's filled with 4 each, I'm going to be testing them out and will report my findings. I'm looking to grab 2 Royal Blue's too, 2 15IPS, and maybe 2 TSX Screaming Overdrive to see where the format is at.

@ BradM I posted it on FB as a reply to your "what would you like me to build" question, but I believe the colour format could really use filters from famous synths. Moog ladder, SEM, Curtis, Roland MS-20, Etc, with the ability to drive them at line level. This would give VSTi users the ability to dump from DAW's into hardware filters to bring that edge and tone plugins can't capture. Currently the only options are to dump out of the DAW into Eurorack unbalanced or unbalanced into actual hardware synths or expensive filter options like the Sherman filterbank, all non cheap options. Cheap color filters would be a godsend.

-Also, how about a spring reverb like the Moog Grandmother has in a colour card?

-What about a card with older vintage 12 or 16 bit converters like the OTO Bim/Bam have to capture that 80's digital tone as an option?

-Maybe a card with vintage MCI or Trident transformers? How about other rare transformers, IE Helios, EMI, or RCA?

-Different overdrive or pedal type distortion cards?
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Double post.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 24th April 2019 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Double post
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I believe the colour format could really use filters from famous synths. Moog ladder, SEM, Curtis, Roland MS-20, Etc, with the ability to drive them at line level. This would give VSTi users the ability to dump from DAW's into hardware filters to bring that edge and tone plugins can't capture. Currently the only options are to dump out of the DAW into Eurorack unbalanced or unbalanced into actual hardware synths or expensive filter options like the Sherman filterbank, all non cheap options. Cheap color filters would be a godsend.
how would you vary the filter cutoff/resonance?

there is a variant of the colour format which is ColourCV which is for eurorack and has some CV inputs etc for this... but then you're back in eurorack again anyway!

The BMM Colour Palette, an Open Hardware Case Study – horizontalpitch
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
how would you vary the filter cutoff/resonance?

there is a variant of the colour format which is ColourCV which is for eurorack and has some CV inputs etc for this... but then you're back in eurorack again anyway!

The BMM Colour Palette, an Open Hardware Case Study – horizontalpitch
With LTL making filters I could see a filter 500 option similar to their Mister Focus series, one of the knobs would be drive, another the filter cutoff, and a third the rez. It could have switch selection for HP/LP options or filter transformer options, I'm sure Brad could creatively make a fantastic card with 3-5 different filter type option 500's.

For the card alone version the drive amount could be on a 5 selection jumper with another 5 jumper for Rez and the knob could be the filter cutoff.
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Nut

2 question for guys with the ips 15/ 70s Colours Module:

How easy is it to solder the stuff together for someone who hasn’t ever done anything like that?
And how does the ips/70s compare to the Neve 542? I watched a clip comparing the Neve to tape plugins and the weight and depth the Neve gave to the bottom end was incredible and unmatched! Does the Colours module deliver similar effects?

Also would you guys recommend getting a pair of chroma 500s before the Colours modules?
Old 2nd May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayaFFM View Post
2 question for guys with the ips 15/ 70s Colours Module:

How easy is it to solder the stuff together for someone who hasn’t ever done anything like that?
And how does the ips/70s compare to the Neve 542? I watched a clip comparing the Neve to tape plugins and the weight and depth the Neve gave to the bottom end was incredible and unmatched! Does the Colours module deliver similar effects?

Also would you guys recommend getting a pair of chroma 500s before the Colours modules?
Colour modules are a great place to start. Ever built cables? If you can do that, I think you can swing at least something like 15IPS.

I already shared my thoughts on your question in the other thread.

Last edited by chinesewhiteman; 3rd May 2019 at 01:52 AM..
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Nut
I have a bunch of these, they are great, and super cheap too
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

For filters why not do a triple card? That way one could have cutoff, resonance and drive or cv.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Addict

So i’ve a question that hopefully can be answered here, well 2.

TM79 vs CTX?

Toneloc vs MN50?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search