The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bypassing Apollo Preamps
Old 9th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Bypassing Apollo Preamps

(TLDR - Can you bypass the apollo preamps?)

So I've read conflicting reports about whether or not you can bypass the pre's in the apollo. I have a silverface unit, and I'd like to throw some outboard pre's on 1-4, but I don't want to run the mics through two gain stages.

The tape op review of the black 8-p version gave me this info:

"I discovered many nice touches within Console 2.0. The Apollo preamp circuitry can be bypassed on each of the line inputs, ostensibly for the "purest" signal path to the converters - really handy if you are patching external outboard gear to the line inputs. "

Universal Audio: Apollo 8p Thunderbolt 2 audio interface | Tape Op Magazine | Longform candid interviews with music producers and audio engineers covering mixing, mastering, recording and music production.

I have a silver unit...but I also have a console 2.0 / thunderbolt set up. Does anyone have any info on this?

Also, in the case I can't bypass the preamps when using the line inputs on 1-4, do you think it would still be worth it to run some API pres over the built in apollos? I can't imagine such a miniscule 2nd gain stage from the apollo's solid state pre's would do much to the audio.

from the UAD forums a few years ago:

"I see from the manual that Line Inputs 1-4 are fixed at +4dBu. But there is minimum 10dB of gain coming from the preamp. Can the preamp not be bypassed? How do I ensure the input level is the same as channels 5-8?"

Bypassing PRE AMPs

Last edited by blackmajik2021; 9th August 2016 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 9th August 2016
Lives for gear

Bypass of the preamps on CH's 1-4 is specific to the Black Apollo's only when using Console 2.0.
Old 3rd October 2018
Here for the gear

How to bypass UAD Preamp

CONSOLE SETTINGS
-HARDWARE
--DEVICES
---APOLLO X8P(What I have)
----LINE INPUT GAIN
-----SELECT CHANNEL TO BYPASS
------TOGGLE TO BYPASS ON DROP DOWN MENU

Cheers,
Drake
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
Bypass of the preamps on CH's 1-4 is specific to the Black Apollo's only when using Console 2.0.
Which ones are black Apollo’s ? The latest ones ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Uhhh, pretty simple. The Apollo units with the black face are the Black MKII Apollo's. The New X-Series Apollo's are more of a dark gun metal grey.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search