The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warm Audio Wa-2a vs. Stam Audio Sa-2a
Old 2nd August 2016
Warm Audio Wa-2a vs. Stam Audio Sa-2a

Has anyone gotten a chance yet to compare these two next to each other or next to the originals?
Old 4th August 2016
Old 4th August 2016
Lives for gear

There are threads comparing boths to the original... Not sure if someone had the Warm and the Stam side by side...
Old 4th August 2016
Lives for gear

I can't compare to the Stam, but I. An tell you that I absolutely love my WA-2A
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear
I have been waiting for a comparison of these two for a while! Anyone?

Last edited by prophei; 22nd August 2016 at 11:18 PM..
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Head

Bump!
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Nut

I would go for the Wa2a.
I would not give my money to Stam.
Old 13th November 2016
@ 0007

I've been following the Stam threads and I'd say that your opinion is unwarranted without further clarification. There are a lot of happy Stam owners here on Gearslutz.
Old 13th November 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekei View Post
@ 0007

I've been following the Stam threads and I'd say that your opinion is unwarranted without further clarification. There are a lot of happy Stam owners here on Gearslutz.
If you've been following those threads as I have, then you would see the incompetent way he has conducted himself. From absolute bogus communication to just coming across as immature. One simple example is not informing customers changes from xlr connections to tsr. He waited until the units were about ready to ship,and they simply found out from the photos he posted. To me that's ridiculous,and it's only one example of many.
Then, there are more than a few things I've saw this guy say that were just totally unprofessional.
One was related to complaints of his lack of communication, he made a remark suggesting the only people who were complaining were from North America, even if this was true it's totally irrelevant.
The main thing that did it for me was recently I saw a post he made on a forum with a bogus rant claiming Warm Audio stole his design for their Wa2a. I could not believe this guy would even say this in public especially considering they're both copies. To me that was absolutely pathetic. I don't know how old this josh guy is,but
to me he is immature,and I have a bad taste towards him as a person, and there is no way I would give him a penny of my cash. I don't care what he makes or how it sounds.
There are more than a handful of other people making the same type of gear with top quality to have to resort to what I see others resorting to.
It makes me laugh.
Does that clarify?
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0007 View Post
Then, there are more than a few things I've saw this guy say that were just totally unprofessional.
One was related to complaints of his lack of communication, he made a remark suggesting the only people who were complaining were from North America, even if this was true it's totally irrelevant.
The main thing that did it for me was recently I saw a post he made on a forum with a bogus rant claiming Warm Audio stole his design for their Wa2a. I could not believe this guy would even say this in public especially considering they're both copies. To me that was absolutely pathetic.

I am sorry you feel that way towards me and hopefully your perspective can change in the near future, however, what you say here is simply not tue. You are entittled to your opinion and to dislike me or the way I handle my business, even though we have never spoken to each other but please relay to facts next time. I respectully ask you to revise your post. You should quote me next time on any remarks I made, it is very easy to take things out of context.

On the other hand, I think people here want to find out which unit end users like best or what would be more benefitial for their work, not weather you like me or not as a person, we should try to stay in line with the subject. It is a forum about gear in the end. My 0.2

Thanks

Last edited by joshuanaconda; 13th November 2016 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
I am sorry you feel that way towards me and hopefully your perspective can change in the near future, however, what you say here is simply not tue. You are entittled to your opinion and to dislike me or the way I handle my business, even though we have never spoken to each other but please relay to facts next time. I respectully ask you to revise your post. You should quote me next time on any remarks I made, it is very easy to take things out of context.

On the other hand, I think people here want to find out which unit end users like best or what would be more benefitial for their work, not weather you like me or not as a person, we should try to stay in line with the subject. It is a forum about gear in the end. My 0.2

Thanks
I've saw you do this before, denying something that was pointed out about you that is not flattering. Name any of those things I mentioned having an issue with that's not true.
First I brought up your lack of communication to your customers,and used the example of you changing from xlr to trs. This is 100% true. Do you deny?
Second I mentioned coming across some things you've said that I consider unprofessional, and I mentioned you suggesting those from North America mainly were the ones complaining which I felt was just irrelevant to bring up, are you saying you did not say this?
Last mentioned seeing you posting that pathetic claim that Warm Audio stole your Sa2a design with their Wa2a. This was the main thing that turned me against your attitude. Are you actually going to lie about making this claim? I can post the entire rant of yours if you prefer. I know others have saw this. One guy named Ragan who frequents this site I recall him responding also to how bogus of a claim that was.
Don't tell me I'm lying about it. If you can't even admit to this on your own then that's just another example of your level of maturity and trustworthiness.
As far as differences between gear, once you get to a certain level of quality,and the components used are legit, its just splitting hairs in terms of which units sound preferable,and as I said there are more than a handful of other folks making the same type of gear at the same level of quality. I trust your gear is well made as others have expressed,but to me there are other very important things to consider.
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

I saw the SA2A was in stock on the STAM Audio website - I sent a couple of emails to STAM regarding shipping cost to the UK and received no replies.

Needless to say there was no way I was going to click "order" on the website and pay my money without a reply to the simplest of emails.

I'm all for supporting the smaller boutique builders but no 1 for me before I purchase is good communication otherwise I'm not confident about the experience I'm going to get in terms of my order and after sales service.

I've decided I'll probably order a WA2A instead.
Lives for gear
I bought a Tonebeast and WA76 last month at Sweetwater Sound...It was delivered 2 days after ordering and I knew if there was any problems Sweetwater would back it up...FYI they also have the WA2A in stock ready to ship...http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WA2A ....moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I saw the SA2A was in stock on the STAM Audio website - I sent a couple of emails to STAM regarding shipping cost to the UK and received no replies.

Needless to say there was no way I was going to click "order" on the website and pay my money without a reply to the simplest of emails.

I'm all for supporting the smaller boutique builders but no 1 for me before I purchase is good communication otherwise I'm not confident about the experience I'm going to get in terms of my order and after sales service.

Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post

That is a shame, I never saw your emails mate. What is your email address?, perhaps it went into spam?

PM if you'd like
Company Rep
Quote:
First I brought up your lack of communication to your customers,and used the example of you changing from xlr to trs. This is 100% true. Do you deny?
Second I mentioned coming across some things you've said that I consider unprofessional, and I mentioned you suggesting those from North America mainly were the ones complaining which I felt was just irrelevant to bring up, are you saying you did not say this?
Last mentioned seeing you posting that pathetic claim that Warm Audio stole your Sa2a design with their Wa2a. This was the main thing that turned me against your attitude. Are you actually going to lie about making this claim? I can post the entire rant of yours if you prefer. I know others have saw this. One guy named Ragan who frequents this site I recall him responding also to how bogus of a claim that was.
Don't tell me I'm lying about it. If you can't even admit to this on your own then that's just another example of your level of maturity and trustworthiness.
As far as differences between gear, once you get to a certain level of quality,and the components used are legit, its just splitting hairs in terms of which units sound preferable,and as I said there are more than a handful of other folks making the same type of gear at the same level of quality. I trust your gear is well made as others have expressed,but to me there are other very important things to consider.
1- I don't denny that. I have in fact admited it several times and taken in that feedback to improve my customers experience.

2- That is not what I said, that is your interpretation to what I said. Pointless to argue about this.

3- I never posted that on any forum but I did make that claim. It was posted on my personal facebook account and we have moved on from that. If you are interested we can discuss it privately, this is not the place.

4- No, differences are not splitting hairs, that is simply not true. We can discuss that privately as well, graphs, audio clips, sweeps, whatever... I can show you what does what, again, if you are interested, which you are probably not.

Can we return to the relevant topic now?

Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
1- I don't denny that. I have in fact admited it several times and taken in that feedback to improve my customers experience.

2- That is not what I said, that is your interpretation to what I said. Pointless to argue about this.

3- I never posted that on any forum but I did make that claim. It was posted on my personal facebook account and we have moved on from that. If you are interested we can discuss it privately, this is not the place.

4- No, differences are not splitting hairs, that is simply not true. We can discuss that privately as well, graphs, audio clips, sweeps, whatever... I can show you what does what, again, if you are interested, which you are probably not.

Can we return to the relevant topic now?

I do not take you serious,and as a result I have no interest in discussing anything with you.
None of what I mentioned effects me anyways because I'm not a customer of yours,and that will not change. I would never do business with you.
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Maniac
I love how this guy pretends that huge amounts of disgruntled customers is not a 'relevant' topic when people are deciding which of these units to choose. I saw Stam customers pushed to the absolute brink of their patience and flooded to this forum to let people know how ****ty the communication and professionalism from that company was. I got a WA-2A and am very satisfied. It came without bull****, no need for stories and excuses and not condescending fanboy posts on Facebook.
Company Rep
Quote:
I do not take you serious,and as a result I have no interest in discussing anything with you.
None of what I mentioned effects me anyways because I'm not a customer of yours,and that will not change. I would never do business with you.
That is what I thought as well. No need to discuss further then and happily for you there are many other great options to get some gear. Stay well and all the best
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Maniac
If you think a history of delays and poor communication is "pointless" when someone is deciding what company to support, then you are even more dismissive and clueless than you have come across in the past. Now instead of filling the thread with your own posts, you can let customers of the products discuss. Or you could just go on Facebook and ask your fanboys to come fill the thread up.
Old 13th November 2016
Here's an SA2A vs. WA2A. These were posted in another thread. You'll need to level match.

I have the SA2A and am loving it. So much, I ordered his 1073 unit. Yes, it took longer than expected, but my emails were answered. My impression, it's a young, small outfit that loves audio.
Attached Files

Dry Vox.wav (9.09 MB, 19526 views)

SA-2A Comp.wav (9.09 MB, 23651 views)

Warm WA2A Comp.wav (9.09 MB, 19947 views)

Last edited by Robby in WA; 13th November 2016 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: Bolded need to level match
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
Here's an SA2A vs. WA2A. These were posted in another thread. You'll need to level match.

I have the SA2A and am loving it. So much, I ordered his 1073 unit. Yes, it took longer than expected, but my emails were answered. My impression, it's a young, small outfit that loves audio.
Thanks for cross linking those Robby I had missed them.

cheers

Wiz
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post

Thanks Robby

Last edited by joshuanaconda; 13th November 2016 at 11:54 PM..
Old 14th November 2016
So many deleted posts it's hard to follow the topic. Thanks to Robby for posting a comparison, I enjoy these a lot and can't wait to do a comparison ...
@ joshuanaconda
Communication is very important to customers... This is extremely relevant to an almost thousand dollar purchase just like the components and the build quality. Some of your customers may understand the process of purchasing from a small pro audio company in another country, however most won't and this may be their first time, and yes most will expect an open line of communication with their first transaction with you!

In the future instead of speaking on competition's products let the quality of your products speak for themselves... If one asks about a wa2a vs an sa2a, list your components, specs, price, and of course Audio Samples! End the post by your signature saying you are the proud owner and builder of Stam Audio. This will help you avoid any type of competition discrediting ( bashing ) which is how it looks when companies speak out against or negatively about their competitors or competitors product's.

PS: I am not referring to 0007 as a warm audio customer, and I did not read what you posted regarding the wa2a on FB. Have a good day
Old 14th November 2016
Gear Addict
So arguing aside, what is the stance between these two units?
Old 14th November 2016
After level matching, it is very close between the two units in my opinion. The WA2A seemed slightly more musical to me. I feel like I would have an easier time sitting it in a mix.

I own a WA2A, and like it very much. It rocks right along next to vintage 2A's.
Old 14th November 2016
Here for the gear
I don't have a WA2A but I do have two SA2A's and according to the courier my SA4000 arrives today.

I would like to relay my experience with Stam. I ordered an SA2A earlier in the year and it arrived in May. I was extremely excited about putting it through it's paces, unfortunately when I opened the box it was in pieces with parts taped to it. It took a while to realise what had happened but it seems customs had pulled it to pieces (i'm in the UK). I never got to the bottom of it as customs each end would not take responsibility. The one person who did take responsibility was Josh, who immediately said if I send back the more expensive components he would send me a replacement, even though customs is clearly out of his control.

I was keen to get it working so suggested if I pay what it cost him for the tubes then I would get someone local to fix it for me, then use the money he had for this SA2a for a 2nd one in the next batch. He agreed and I thought I had a great deal and got someone local to look at it. He managed to fix most of it but when he took out the large transformer he noticed customs had stuck a screwdriver through it.

I contacted Josh again who agreed to send me a replacement free of charge when the next order for them arrived, which he did.

So my guy over here put it all back together and I tried it along side my new SA2A (which I was already in love with). It was clear that something wasn't right and the calibrations on the repaired one we're all wrong.

I contacted Josh again who gave me the calibration instructions. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to calibrate properly,something was clearly still wrong. So Josh told me to send it to his guy Ritchie in France for him to take a look at it and he would cover the bill. Ritchie discovered quite a few issues and duly repaired them and it is on it's way back to me now. I know this repair cost Josh 200 Euros.

So I now have two SA2A's, although it was a bit of a ball ache I have only paid a fraction of the cost for the second one and Josh is considerably out of pocket. Throughout the whole process he has been more helpful than he had to be at considerable cost to himself and for that I am grateful. I also am a bit puzzled by some of the negative stuff spoken on here about Stam as my experience has been nothing but positive. I can only speak of my experience of course.

None of this has put me off ordering, once my SA4000 is here I intend to order an SA87. If it takes a bit longer than published then so be it, this is high quality gear at n unbelievable price.

Josh could have left me at the mercy of Customs trying to claim compensation and I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on, fact is he didn't and went out of his way to keep me a satisfied customer
Old 14th November 2016
Here for the gear

I've had the SA-2A since the beginning of this year and I use it a lot. This thread got me curious so I went to borrow a new WA-2A unit at my local music shop.

It may be a bit unfair as I used the SA-2A a lot and for a real comparison I should use the WA-2A as much, but no time for that. So I just made some test runs with pre recorded material.

Since the specs are nearly identical from what I can understand, there is obviously no astronomical differences in the sound. But there are other differences that I found significant to me.

First thing, the WA-2A meter was not calibrated on delivery. Sure there are a knob on the back to zero it. But is calibrating a meter really that easy? I made a DIY version of a 1176 compressor and the meter calibration was about the hardest thing about it. Anyways after zeroing the meter I tested in my daw how correct the meter was and both the SA-2A differered a bit, but the SA-2A was about 0-0,5 db wrong on different compression. The WA-2A was about 1-1.5 db wrong.

Another thing I like on the SA-2A more are the knobs. The WA-2A has some sort of stepped thing, but I guess it's not really stepped as in different resistors on each step but just dents in the knob it self? It just makes it hard to fine tune, and I don't really see the benefits of stepped for recall if it's not really stepped for real. And in a stereo setup it can be a problem if the steps don't have the exact same values.

Now for the sound. I tested with some vocals, some drum room and acoustic guitar. I could't hear any huge differences but when measuring it seems like the SA-2A goes a tiny bit further in both the highs and lows. As I said, nothing I could hear but it's still there, and I don't know if it's the tubes that makes the difference since the rest is pretty much the same?!

The only place where I could hear a big difference was with the acoustic guitar. I made some really heavy compression to exaggerate the possible difference, it's a little bit more than 10db compression. The SA-2A still sound transparent and musical even though it's a bit lifeless from the heavy compressions, but the WA-2A sounds almost broken and pumping in the lower frequencies.

www.hoborec.com/sa2awa2a/guitar-dry.wav
www.hoborec.com/sa2awa2a/guitar-sa2a.wav
www.hoborec.com/sa2awa2a/guitar-wa2a.wav
Old 3rd December 2016
Here for the gear
i looked into both and went with the Stam unit after talking with Joshua who I found to be a very nice person; and went out of his way to make my transactions work well for me. I will be reinvesting in his company with other compressors and microphones. Guys...here is my opinion on the WA2A VS SA2A. = DETAIL. I went with the Sa2a because TO ME it has more detail. Also the switches work better FOR ME, in that they are not with steps or detents. The only perceived advantage the WA2A has TO ME over the SA2A is that the "pre-emphasis" EQ dial is on the back of the WA2A; and the SA2A dial is inside. So the pre-emphasis EQ can be changed but its internal on the SA2A.
keep in mind in all these tests that tubes will affect the sound, crappy tubes in a great unit will still sound like crappy tubes. I put old 60's telefunken tubes in my preamp and it sounded completely different. With that in mind, i was told that there is only really one tube in these compressors that will affect the sound and that the others are for more voltage regulation on parts that do not affect the sound as much; I was told this by someone who builds LA2A clones, so don't take it as truth but an opinion. But if that is true it means that one could seriously upgrade the sound of either compressor by potentially changing only one tube (to a better more suitable one for your sound).
I just got my SA2A up and running and look forward to getting Joshua's SSL buss compressor. Great stuff. I will be comparing in the future warm audio's 87 mic clone to Joshua's 87 mic clone when i get it.

THANKS TO GEAR SLUTZ FOR PUTTING ME IN TOUCH WITH STAM AUDIO AND JOSHUA.
Old 3rd December 2016 | Show parent
"pre-emphasis" EQ ? what does this do? I'm intrigued. I have two SA2As

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK DRUMMER View Post
i looked into both and went with the Stam unit after talking with Joshua who I found to be a very nice person; and went out of his way to make my transactions work well for me. I will be reinvesting in his company with other compressors and microphones. Guys...here is my opinion on the WA2A VS SA2A. = DETAIL. I went with the Sa2a because TO ME it has more detail. Also the switches work better FOR ME, in that they are not with steps or detents. The only perceived advantage the WA2A has TO ME over the SA2A is that the "pre-emphasis" EQ dial is on the back of the WA2A; and the SA2A dial is inside. So the pre-emphasis EQ can be changed but its internal on the SA2A.
keep in mind in all these tests that tubes will affect the sound, crappy tubes in a great unit will still sound like crappy tubes. I put old 60's telefunken tubes in my preamp and it sounded completely different. With that in mind, i was told that there is only really one tube in these compressors that will affect the sound and that the others are for more voltage regulation on parts that do not affect the sound as much; I was told this by someone who builds LA2A clones, so don't take it as truth but an opinion. But if that is true it means that one could seriously upgrade the sound of either compressor by potentially changing only one tube (to a better more suitable one for your sound).
I just got my SA2A up and running and look forward to getting Joshua's SSL buss compressor. Great stuff. I will be comparing in the future warm audio's 87 mic clone to Joshua's 87 mic clone when i get it.

THANKS TO GEAR SLUTZ FOR PUTTING ME IN TOUCH WITH STAM AUDIO AND JOSHUA.
Old 3rd December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
"pre-emphasis" EQ ? what does this do? I'm intrigued. I have two SA2As

Thanks
yep, me too. Maybe it's a worthwhile mod to move it to the front panel
📝 Reply