The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avalon 737 w/ Focusrite Clarrett 8PreX Digital Converters
Old 30th July 2016
Here for the gear

Avalon 737 w/ Focusrite Clarrett 8PreX

I just purchased a new Focusrite Clarrett 8Pre X interface and am hoping I didn't make a mistake. I have an Avalon vt737sp mic pre/channel strip that I often use for tracking and am a bit worried about running it through the Clarrett, as it already has some pretty great, influential preamps of its own. I still need (at least) the 8 channels offered by the Focusrite for drum tracking, but am wondering if I should also invest in something more pure (UAD Apollo Twin?) to use with the Avalon for standard vocals, guitars, etc. Maybe I'm just overthinking things, but I don't want the mid-range Clarrett interface to interfere with the quality of the high-end Avalon.

Thanks guys!
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear

Avalon 737 is great strip to me.
I've heard Claret 2pre and it has really transparent preamps and line inputs, it would work with 737.
I definitely don't think it would deteriorate sound of 737, which you can really test by yourself.
Maybe I didn't get it correctly, but it has 8 analogue ins (the rest is digital), so you can't use Avalon and another 8 input channels at the same time.

Michal
Old 31st July 2016
I have used a few 737's and I own a Clarett. Although it is in the mid range of things, the converters are hardly a step below other things. It's very clean, doesn't add anything. I use my tube pre's and Neve clones and run them through it all the time. Couldn't be happier with the sounds I'm getting for the price. If you're going to upgrade from a Clarett, get something super high end like Orion converters.
Old 31st July 2016
Here for the gear

Thank you guys for your responses!

Do you run into the line inputs? I'd like to think if I run the XLR out from the Avalon into a TRS 1/4" line input on the Clarett that it would essentially bypass the preamp. ST.Studio, I'm going to be adding some Vintech and Skibbe preamps very soon, I'm glad to hear they should play well with the Clarett. Which Clarett do you have? I'm curious how the "air" feature on the 8PreX sounds and haven't been able to find a lot of demos online.

Thanks!
Old 2nd August 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi all,

Thought I'd chime in here. When connecting to an input on any Clarett interface using a 1/4 inch jack cable, the line input signal goes through the variable gain section of the preamp allowing the user to set the input level of their line level audio sources, however, the Clarett line inputs are designed and optimised for low noise and distortion and with AIR mode disabled, will not colour the signal.

In this example, you can therefore connect your Avalon 737 through the Clarett without having the Clarett add any additional 'colour' to the signal.

Best,
Jack // Focusrite Technical Support

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new
Old 2nd August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST.Studio View Post
If you're going to upgrade from a Clarett, get something super high end like Orion converters.
"Super high end" might be Prism, Burl, or similar. The Orion would come under "excellent value for money in a great package, nothing to be sniffed at". IMO. I'm not sure if it would be "better" per se than the Focusrite.
Old 21st September 2016
Sorry for the late response. I have the Clarett 8PreX. When I use my tube pres, I run them into the line input and turn the Air mode on.
Old 24th November 2016
Here for the gear

Could you run the Clarret into the avalon and use it just for the preamps? I have an avalon running into an ensemble. It would be nice to have the extra preamps
Old 10th December 2016
You can put the Clarett in standalone mode, but it's cheaper just too get a Clarett Octopre
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search