The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions on a few digital fx units Condenser Microphones
Old 25th July 2016
Opinions on a few digital fx units

Long story short, came across these units in an old pal's 90's touring rack... He's not using them... Not a gtr player, so I'm primarily interested in whether any of them stand up as studio pieces as send fx.

What are your opinions on:

TC 2290
Roland SRV
Yamaha spx990

Thanks!
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

All very useful. The Yamaha is a little noisy but it does a few really nice things.
Old 25th July 2016
Gear Addict

SPX990 sounds nice on drums. 2290 is a great delay.
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

Agree with the above.

You say "stand up as studio pieces", and it depends on what kind of units you have in mind and compares them with. If you think of Lexicon 960, T.C. 6000, Bricasti, EMT25x, those are common in large studios, they sounds spectacular, but also costs north of $10000. The units in that rack may not be as .. 'respected' or versatile as those I mentioned. But those you mention are good units.

Each fx unit bears the mark of the time it was made in I think. Today, we look at the 80s as a time when things were drenched in reverb and chorus. The effect was used as much to create the character of a part/instrument as dynamics and EQ as.
Today the trend is different, considerably less fx. Reverb is often used to imitate the sensation of a real room, or close to it. The Bricasti is one unit that is just right in today's environment, because it sounds just how alot of people think of reverb usage today. The studio presets in it, for example, sounds rather close to natural ambience of room mics.

The units above, the 2290 is from 1986 and the other two are from 1993. I would say they sound a bit like that era too. For good or bad.

Last edited by Sk106; 25th July 2016 at 10:21 AM..
Old 26th July 2016
Definitely pieces "of their time"... This was my pal's touring rig in the 90's... He's since retired as a muso and I bet none of this has been powered on since 1998 lol. I'll plug it into the board and see if I use any of it...

Thanks for all of your input!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search