The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sasha Bells? What is this?
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict
Sasha Bells? What is this?

Hey I'm back again to see if the genius of GS can help me id another interesting sound? I can't find a video, but if you press play, its the bell type sound that comes in right away. Thanks again for your help. Sounds like tubular bells but not?

Here:
https://www.beatport.com/track/vapou...al-mix/7649111

or here:
http://housedj.net/sasha-vapour-trails-original-mix/
Old 15th July 2016
Here for the gear

Sounds like guitar harmonics to me!
Old 15th July 2016
I'm not hearing guitar harmonics. I'm hearing several layers of different bell or tuned percussion sounds. The central bell sound seems metalic to me, and I would expect to find these in a Rompler named 'music box' or 'celeste' or similar. I think I can hear some wooden xylophone rhythms, and other stuff towards the end. But right from the start, I hear different sounds and note patterns panned left, centre and right.

My Roland Integra has plenty of samples in this category - many of them are modifed with synth filters etc to make them more musical. I think it's just a matter of finding what tuned percussion sounds you've got and playing with them until you find something you like. Delays can work well with tuned percussion too.
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I'm not hearing guitar harmonics. I'm hearing several layers of different bell or tuned percussion sounds. The central bell sound seems metalic to me, and I would expect to find these in a Rompler named 'music box' or 'celeste' or similar. I think I can hear some wooden xylophone rhythms, and other stuff towards the end. But right from the start, I hear different sounds and note patterns panned left, centre and right.

My Roland Integra has plenty of samples in this category - many of them are modifed with synth filters etc to make them more musical. I think it's just a matter of finding what tuned percussion sounds you've got and playing with them until you find something you like. Delays can work well with tuned percussion too.

I agree with you totally, where do you think the origin of the sound comes from? I don't mean rompler vs synth or whatnot, I mean what kind of real instrument? It sounds real to me and authentic. Any ideas? Doesn't sound like a Celeste to me but I could be wrong.
Old 15th July 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

I love Sasha. Thanks for the link.

It's a glockenspiel being played with soft mallets.

Here's your sound right here.

CINEMATIQUE INSTRUMENTS - Alto Glockenspiel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3EZU5iC0nk
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot View Post
I love Sasha. Thanks for the link.

It's a glockenspiel being played with soft mallets.

Here's your sound right here.

CINEMATIQUE INSTRUMENTS - Alto Glockenspiel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3EZU5iC0nk
Yea this album is amazing. And thanks for the help. I don't know why the sound is throwing me off but it does sound like an alto glock...I feel like the thing on the record sounds more tubular if that makes sense than a glockenspiel but I that's probably because I'm used to hearing soprano glockenspiels?
Old 15th July 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

I'm not saying it's specifically an alto glockenspiel, but it's definitely a glockenspiel. The reason it sounds "tubular" to you is because Sasha is using a sound that has soft mallets rather than hard mallets. Hard mallets give a much more metallic sound with a faster attack.

And what some people think is a glockenspiel is actually a pixiphone. This might be the sound you're used to hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpbaPjzq1Vk

Or this... which is not actually a xylophone, which has wooden bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT0wchgcxco
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
I'm not saying it's specifically an alto glockenspiel, but it's definitely a glockenspiel. The reason it sounds "tubular" to you is because Sasha is using a sound that has soft mallets rather than hard mallets. Hard mallets give a much more metallic sound with a faster attack.

And what some people think is a glockenspiel is actually a pixiphone. This might be the sound you're used to hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpbaPjzq1Vk

Or this... which is not actually a xylophone, which has wooden bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT0wchgcxco
Very cool I've never heard about those little pixiphones before thanks for the info.

Since you seem to have a better ear than I do...check out this sound and tell me if you know what instrument it's from....its been bugging me for a year now...starts at the :14 second mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PfRxAA...727&autoplay=1
Old 15th July 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

That's a kalimba sound - AKA Mbira AKA African thumb piano.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg24k7tzIc0

Got anymore sounds for me?
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
That's a kalimba sound - AKA Mbira AKA African thumb piano.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg24k7tzIc0

Got anymore sounds for me?
Yeah everyone says that. I suppose that could be it but it sounds more synthetic but it's probably how it's sequenced that makes it sound like that to me.
Old 15th July 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

Yes, it's obviously a kalimba sample that's being played on a keyboard and triggered off of a sequencer. But 100% it's a kalimba sound.
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Yes, it's obviously a kalimba sample that's being played on a keyboard and triggered off of a sequencer. But 100% it's a kalimba sound.
Great thanks again. I'll find another unique organic sound and post it. See if you can id it
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Okay ya ready?...so I downloaded a pack from the producer who produced that Aldgate Patterns...guy is a great...it seems to have the sample but he doesn't disclose what it is...he has a celeste and dulcitone in there...but what is this?
Attached Files

music box.wav (8.20 MB, 290 views)

Old 16th July 2016
I'm guessing from the name of the wave file that it's a Music Box ...

But seriously - to my ears this is a metallophone of some sort. It's got a thin reedy sound, and there is a bit of distortion - I think this is acoustic distortion rather than electronic. The sort of distortion artifact you get from a cheap metallohone, such as a music box.

Whether this is a Kalimba or a Music Box harp is sort of redundant, because they are the same thing really. Simple strips of metal that are plucked either with your fingers or with a rotating drum with mechanical fingers in a music box.

To my ears, these have the sound of a mallet stricking the metal - but it's hard to say.

I can full imagine that this was a music box that somebody has sampled - either by turning the drum slowly to strike each note, or maybe by tapping each note with a mallet. But if it turns out to be a Kalimba - basically the same thing.

My money would be on music box (like my first suggestion above) - Kalimbas tend to have seperate strips of metal which gives a higher quality result. Pixiphones tend to have a much thicker grade of steel, and sound even better. This has the sound of a cheap harp cut out of one piece of thin metal - like music box toys - and that's why I think it sounds thin and reedy and why some notes have bad distortion.

This sounds like the raw original recording, and then somebody would have sampled the best notes and made them sound good, so possibly a little synthesis such as pitch shifting and filtering and envelopes going on.
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
I'm guessing from the name of the wave file that it's a Music Box ...

But seriously - to my ears this is a metallophone of some sort. It's got a thin reedy sound, and there is a bit of distortion - I think this is acoustic distortion rather than electronic. The sort of distortion artifact you get from a cheap metallohone, such as a music box.

Whether this is a Kalimba or a Music Box harp is sort of redundant, because they are the same thing really. Simple strips of metal that are plucked either with your fingers or with a rotating drum with mechanical fingers in a music box.

To my ears, these have the sound of a mallet stricking the metal - but it's hard to say.

I can full imagine that this was a music box that somebody has sampled - either by turning the drum slowly to strike each note, or maybe by tapping each note with a mallet. But if it turns out to be a Kalimba - basically the same thing.

My money would be on music box (like my first suggestion above) - Kalimbas tend to have seperate strips of metal which gives a higher quality result. Pixiphones tend to have a much thicker grade of steel, and sound even better. This has the sound of a cheap harp cut out of one piece of thin metal - like music box toys - and that's why I think it sounds thin and reedy and why some notes have bad distortion.

This sounds like the raw original recording, and then somebody would have sampled the best notes and made them sound good, so possibly a little synthesis such as pitch shifting and filtering and envelopes going on.
So funny I was thinking of a metallophone too. Yeah this is from a Abelton pack and it sounds like he recorded himself playing whatever instrument it is and then sampling it into a drum rack and messing around. Its not a glockenspiel or a xylophone and I know he's sampled dulcitones before which I didn't know what they were before I saw one of his samples named a "dulcitone." You can def hear something sticking it too like a mallet.
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Oh also, I've looked into getting a music box but you can't really get one to play...there are vsts that sample them that you can play, but theres no such thing as like a music box instrument that you can just play...unless I missed it
Old 16th July 2016
In that case I think a Kalimba is what you want. Many of them are hand build by artists - it's a real authentic ethnic sort of thing. You could probably find one to build you a full chromatic one - probably expensive, but would be really nice. I don't really like the distortion you get with typical music box harps (or combes as they might be called). That Aphex Twin track I posted is a gorgeous example of a vintage music box, but it's got the same distortion going on.

A Kalimba has individual tines, so they don't interact and distort as much. I've often looked at them and wondered about getting one. They typically have a small number or tines, tuned to a chord, which is a bit limiting. But they could be made in any shape or size. I would like to put a pickup on one so I could play it live, with delays and FX etc.

There are also tube type metalliphones. Some of the childrens play ones can be quite interesting. They are often called xylophones, although a real xylophone is wooden.

But - I must admit it's just easier to play samples from my Integra. Although i'm not a big fan of equal temperament. These percussive toys can be really difficult to record because of the complex harmonics, and the tuning can be critical because of this too. The Integra can do pure tunings for chords, which sounds so much sweeter than equal temperament.
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
In that case I think a Kalimba is what you want. Many of them are hand build by artists - it's a real authentic ethnic sort of thing. You could probably find one to build you a full chromatic one - probably expensive, but would be really nice. I don't really like the distortion you get with typical music box harps (or combes as they might be called). That Aphex Twin track I posted is a gorgeous example of a vintage music box, but it's got the same distortion going on.

A Kalimba has individual tines, so they don't interact and distort as much. I've often looked at them and wondered about getting one. They typically have a small number or tines, tuned to a chord, which is a bit limiting. But they could be made in any shape or size. I would like to put a pickup on one so I could play it live, with delays and FX etc.

There are also tube type metalliphones. Some of the childrens play ones can be quite interesting. They are often called xylophones, although a real xylophone is wooden.

But - I must admit it's just easier to play samples from my Integra. Although i'm not a big fan of equal temperament. These percussive toys can be really difficult to record because of the complex harmonics, and the tuning can be critical because of this too. The Integra can do pure tunings for chords, which sounds so much sweeter than equal temperament.
Cool I just looked up an Integra never looked into it. So you think this sound is a metallophone? It goes pretty low and high in this recording maybe he had a bunch.
Old 17th July 2016
I used the word 'metallophone' because it covers a very broad range of tuned metal percussion. But looking into it, maybe the correct word for this one is idiophone (google the distiction between the two).

Anyway ... i'm fairly certain that the particular wavefile used was literally a 'music box' - whatever catergory that falls into. I believe that is why the person who recorded that sample named it musicbox. And if you listen to that Aphex Twin tune you can hear a real music box and the very similar sound, including the odd acoustic distortion that gives it character.

As for the tuneable range .. once you sample a sound you can stretch it over the keyboard, so it doesn't matter so much what range the original instrument has.

I love my Integra for this kind of stuff - why reinvent the wheel when it's been rather well over many decades of Roland engineers recording these samples with some of the best gear in the world.

But I must admit I like to have my own unique songs, and it would be nice to have a quality Kalimba. They are expense though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search