The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Robbie vs. UA Solo 610
Old 16th February 2007
Gear Addict

Blue Robbie vs. UA Solo 610

Anyone had an opportunity to compare these mic pre's. Particularly on voice and acoustic guitar. I'm also particularly interested in how they fare with ribbon mics (I have an AEA R92 and AEA R84).

Thanks!!

[Sorry if this isn't high end, but jeez, the Blue Robbie is $1000!!]
Old 17th February 2007
Gear Addict

No one?
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

I've got 610, AEA TRP, Millenia H3, Chandler LTD-1 pres.

The TRP is my go to pre for ribbons, followed by the H3. The 610 would be my last choice. The R84s take high EQ very well when recorded through a clean preamp. They didn't take EQ as well when run through the 610. It was just harder to dial in the sparkle.
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

The Blue Robbie is a great preamp...

Super clean gain, with a very gently rolled-off top end.

This unit has LOADS of clean, quiet gain, and 34db of headroom! The tube does some really beautiful things when pushed...

When paired with an r84, the sound will be massive and warm...and very realistic. Expect to do some major boosts around 8-10k.
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have compared the Robbie with the 610, and I thought the Robbie had a more open sound. Very nice bass DI. A lot of gain. The 610 would have more versatility potentially because of the level/gain controls, whereas the Robbie only has the level. (I'll control the line level input on my converter to run the Robbie hotter if I want.) I couldn't comment on Ribbons.
I'd try to pick up a used one on Ebay. People can't get over the shape of the thing (understandably). For me, not a problem.
I walked into a guitar center to get myself a cable. I looked up on the shelf and did a double take when I saw a Robbie with a $400 tag no it. Used, but looking brand new. I couldn't resist the purchase. Thus, I have 2 Robbies.
I'd pick up a Great River over either of these, but if you can get a used Robbie for $600. Go for it.
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

I own both,

I have 2 Robbies and just got a 610.

OK...

The 610 is currently my favorite "vintage vibe" pre right up there next to my Chandler TG-2.

I have used and love it on Vocals, Sax, E. Guitar and acoustic-nylon string

However on the acoustic nylon string I was going for a vintage 50-60's Bossa Jazz sound, so it needed to be warm and muffly (not in a negative way).

I actually use the Robbies on things when I need the eged taken off, but still want the top end and open-ness.

The robbie is an ultra clean Tube pre. The 610 is darker and thicker. IE the Robbie is better suited as a bread and butter Mic pre. It really records everything well.

I also love it as a synth DI and especially for (real) clean Rhodes.

While I could easily enjoy tracking an entire album with 610's it would most certainly have a sound of its own.

If you want clean and real, but not sterile or brittle the Robbie more well rounded and uncolored.

Plus since the Robbie is a hard sell with most musicians who cannot get past its shape, you may get a steal on one at a GC, which is a shame, because if most people who slagged its appearance actually listened to it with an unbiased ear, they would love it.

Paul
Old 18th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Bluegrasser:

Here's a brand new Robbie on eBay that my buddy's store is selling:http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-ROBBIE-CLAS...QQcmdZViewItem

That'll save ya almost $400 and it's brand new. These guys are always fair, have a 100% feedback and reliable. They sell boutique stuff by appointment and I've bought many items from them over the years... Just a thought.

Good luck.heh
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have never heard the robbie but I have 2 solo 610's and they are awesome. The input and output knobs give a huge range of sound. Very versatile for a tube pre i think. I can go from crystal clean to warm fuzzy and compressed just by twisting. Kinda like a Marshall with master volume lol. Except they are VERY quiet. And the DI is superb. I put nos teles in 12ax7 spot and nos jan ge6072 in the back. Gave them this sparkly kinda highend that is hard to describe. I'll never sell them. I even bought spare sets of matched tubes to keep them that way for a long time. I NEVER intended to get anything that wasn't rack mounted but after having them for quite a while the form factor became a huge advantage in the way I work now. Love them.

My 2cents
Old 18th February 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Although I do like a dark sound (i.e. UA 610), I think I'm leaning towards the Robbie b/c of the extra gain (for ribbons) and cleaner sound.

Interesting that people here seem to EQ the ribbons by adding lots of top. I don't; I like that dark ribbon sound and almost always roll-off low end. Sometimes quite a bit.

Thanks again!
Old 18th February 2007
Lives for gear

In order to get the most out of your ribbons, you need the AEA TRP. I have both the Robbie and the AEA, and they serve different purposes. The AEA will give you more gain and more detail, and it has a lo cut button, something the Robbie lacks. But for vocals, I'd definitely use the Robbie.
The one comment I haven't seen here about the 610 is the (lack of) headroom issue, but since you're leaning away from getting one, I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 26th February 2007
Gear Addict

Well,

I don't track vocal and guitars separately. Eveything is live. What do you think of the robbie under those circumstances?
Old 26th February 2007
Lives for gear

You're using one microphone for live use? Are you doing figure 8 configuration? How many preamps do you need? With Blue Grass, I would think you just want something pretty clean but full. The Robbie will give you that and is a steal if you can pick one up used. I wouldn't necessarily pay full price for it. ($1000)
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

If you're buying new, I'd get the AEA TRP. If you're buying used, the Robbie is great. But if you've got ribbon mics, you need the AEA.
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

thumbsup for the solo 610. but the solo 110 is also worth a look!
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

I've got both and they are quite different. The UA simply cannot be beaten on electric guitars. They just "glow" with vibrant energy. I also like it on anything that needs the top rolled off. Robbie gets overlooked quite a bit because of his strange and impractical design but once you get to multitracking w/ him it's an absolute joy. Full, but w/o any mud whatsoever. Awesome on vox. I still can't get over the fact that Robbie makes the best bass DI I've ever heard (and I only use high-end DIs). Solo'd it sounds so/so but in the context of a mix it's unreal.

BTW, don't get the UA pre for ribbons. It can't even handle an SM7 adequately.
Robbie has gain for days and is rediculously quiet. They actually put a decent tube in that boy (I'm still buying an Amperex for him anyway).
Old 17th March 2007
Here for the gear

blue robbie gaine

I just bought a blue robbie and the gain seems strage to me, I have to turn the knob almost all of the way up, I'm talking to like the second from last circle just to get a decent level on my mackie 1202 and the same with my apogee rossetta 200. The mics I used were akg solid tube and an AT 4040. I've never used one so I was just trying to see if anyone can tell me if I have a problem before I send it all the way to calli to get it looked at.
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtland View Post
I just bought a blue robbie and the gain seems strage to me, I have to turn the knob almost all of the way up, I'm talking to like the second from last circle just to get a decent level on my mackie 1202 and the same with my apogee rossetta 200. The mics I used were akg solid tube and an AT 4040. I've never used one so I was just trying to see if anyone can tell me if I have a problem before I send it all the way to calli to get it looked at.
I've got an earlier version of the Robbie with the illuminated jewel on the gain dial which I purchased last year. I bought a second one about 6 weeks ago which had significantly more gain. To acheive the same levels with the same mic and cable, the first Robbie would have to be at 4 o'clock, while the new one would only have to be at 1 o'clock. I returned the new one, and sent the original Robbie back to BLUE for service. BLUE is supposed to be shipping it back to me on Monday, so I should know the outcome in about a week.

-G
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Schmacko,

I thought I was nuts as I just had the same problem, the 1st time I recorded with them in stereo, I was gonna do some more tests to confirm and get an exact DB difference.

I also have one old and one original with the Illuminated dial.

Paul
Old 18th March 2007
Gear Head

I don't have a ribbon mic but I use
Gefell UMT70S with solo 610 on female vocalist.
It sounds really good.

for me 610 is really weird.
I've tested with sE electronics Titan, U87ai, C1 and bunch of other mics
but only umt70s sounds good with 610 with the singer I'm working on.
Old 18th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post
Hey Schmacko,

I thought I was nuts as I just had the same problem, the 1st time I recorded with them in stereo, I was gonna do some more tests to confirm and get an exact DB difference.

I also have one old and one original with the Illuminated dial.

Paul
haha, that's interesting! I wonder if there is a problem with the earlier runs of the Robbie. I described the situation exactly as above in my service request to BLUE, and they sent me an RMA, so they obviously think something needs to be serviced. The Robbie in service has a serial number in the low 300's, while the new one I had picked up was in the upper 500's.

more to come...
Old 18th March 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post
While I could easily enjoy tracking an entire album with 610's it would most certainly have a sound of its own.

Paul

I love my 610. I track as much as i can with it. Though it takes about a month or two to really break it in. You can get a really clean tone with it as well as a really tube distorted tone. I have noticed a lot of people with my same vocal chain without the 610 have a really dead digital vocal sound as for my vocals are large, robust, and pretty orriginal. The more gain you add the more analog this sounds after a/d conversion.
Old 18th April 2007
Gear Nut

Free Robbie!!

Actually I just noticed on the Musicians Friend site that if you purchase a Kiwi you can get a FREE Robbie mic pre...

Buy at Musician's Friend

Seems like a great deal.

-matt
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleboy View Post
I've got 610, AEA TRP, Millenia H3, Chandler LTD-1 pres.

The TRP is my go to pre for ribbons, followed by the H3. The 610 would be my last choice. The R84s take high EQ very well when recorded through a clean preamp. They didn't take EQ as well when run through the 610. It was just harder to dial in the sparkle.
I own four preamps: A solo 610, a robbie, the focusrite pres in my mbox, and whatever bs pres come in an alesis 16 channel usb mixer (biggest waste of money in my studio). I use a Woodpecker ribbon mic - and honestly, I love the sound, and I LOVE to couple it with the 610. However, the woodpecker is significantly brighter than most ribbons, and the 610 seems to have this darker warm sound to it. The two mesh unbelievably. For my Rode K2 I prefer robbie. The K2 is dark and mid thick, the robbie is a bit more open than the 610 and seems to let the K2 shine out a bit more. K2 don't sound so great on the 610. For AT 4033, it totally depends on the use. Hip Hop vocals sound really y on the 610. Instruments take better to the robbie.
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I use a Woodpecker ribbon mic - and honestly, I love the sound, and I LOVE to couple it with the 610. However, the woodpecker is significantly brighter than most ribbons, and the 610 seems to have this darker warm sound to it. The two mesh unbelievably.
I have a Woodpecker and are looking for a new preamp. How is the woodpecker/610 combination on acoustic guitar? What types of recording do you think they mesh unbelievably on?
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Nut

Anyone else who have expererience from using woodpecker and UA solo 610 on acoustic guitar?
Old 24th December 2013
Hi,

Just to know if the problem with the Robbie was solved Schmako ???
Is it "normal" or didi you had to change something ?
Mine has a lot of gain with the DI but to get gain with a dynamic I have to go over 4 o'clock. At the end of the volume pot I get big gain differences.

Thanks for reply.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search