The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help Me Pick A New Mic/Pre Combo - $3500 Budget
Old 23rd June 2016
Help Me Pick A New Mic/Pre Combo - $3500 Budget

I'm ready to step into the big leagues. Looking for a good combo mainly for voice but a good all around workhorse would be good too. My current mics and pres.

Pres
- Line Audio MP2 Preamp
- Black Lion Auteur Preamp
- Art MPA-II Reference Series Preamp
- Black Lion Audio Modded MOTU 896HD Interface
- Black Lion Audio Modded ADA8000 Preamp

Microphones
- MXL Genesis FET
- Shure KSM44
- Audio Technica 4033CL
- Shure SM-57 (a pile of em)
- Cascade Microphones Victor Ribbon
- Groovetube GT-33
- AKG C1000S Stereo Pair
- AKG Perception 120
- MXL 860 Ribbon Stereo Pair
- MXL 9000 Modded Tube Mic
- MXL Modded R44 Ribbon
- MXL Modded 910 Stereo Pair
- Audix D-6 Kick Mic

So what glaring holes do you see in my setup? I'd like to ideally get a really nice 1 channel but the right 2 channel would be considered as well. I do all my effects ITB so I'm not looking for channel strips. A few thoughts from my end.

Pres
Great River ME-1NV
Dave Hill Designs Europa I
Vintech X73i
Millennia HV-37
JDK Audio R20

Mics
Mojave Audio MA-300
Neumann TLM 49
Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead
Lauten Audio Atlantis FC-387
sE Electronics Gemini II

I'm not opposed to buying used as well. My dream preamp is a Manley Dual Mono but I really want to get a good mic as well because I know I'm lacking in that area right now.
Old 24th June 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
There's a 2-channel John Hardy M-1 for sale in the classifieds. Don't you if you want 2 channels, tho. I have the Twin Servo - and it is awesome.

That'd give you $2000 for the mic. Maybe take a look at that Pearlman TM-47 for sale there as well [I might try for that in a few weeks if its still around haha!].
Old 24th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravymanstan View Post
There's a 2-channel John Hardy M-1 for sale in the classifieds. Don't you if you want 2 channels, tho. I have the Twin Servo - and it is awesome.

That'd give you $2000 for the mic. Maybe take a look at that Pearlman TM-47 for sale there as well [I might try for that in a few weeks if its still around haha!].
this is great advice. ^
Old 24th June 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ben, what kind/s of music are you recording, and what kind of sound/s are you wanting?

Without knowing that, people are just shooting in the dark.

Would you happen to have any sound clips of your recordings?
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dial View Post
I'm ready to step into the big leagues. Looking for a good combo mainly for voice but a good all around workhorse would be good too. My current mics and pres.

Pres
- Line Audio MP2 Preamp
- Black Lion Auteur Preamp
- Art MPA-II Reference Series Preamp
- Black Lion Audio Modded MOTU 896HD Interface
- Black Lion Audio Modded ADA8000 Preamp

Microphones
- MXL Genesis FET
- Shure KSM44
- Audio Technica 4033CL
- Shure SM-57 (a pile of em)
- Cascade Microphones Victor Ribbon
- Groovetube GT-33
- AKG C1000S Stereo Pair
- AKG Perception 120
- MXL 860 Ribbon Stereo Pair
- MXL 9000 Modded Tube Mic
- MXL Modded R44 Ribbon
- MXL Modded 910 Stereo Pair
- Audix D-6 Kick Mic

So what glaring holes do you see in my setup? I'd like to ideally get a really nice 1 channel but the right 2 channel would be considered as well. I do all my effects ITB so I'm not looking for channel strips. A few thoughts from my end.

Pres
Great River ME-1NV
Dave Hill Designs Europa I
Vintech X73i
Millennia HV-37
JDK Audio R20

Mics
Mojave Audio MA-300
Neumann TLM 49
Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead
Lauten Audio Atlantis FC-387
sE Electronics Gemini II

I'm not opposed to buying used as well. My dream preamp is a Manley Dual Mono but I really want to get a good mic as well because I know I'm lacking in that area right now.
Neumann and the Telefunken Id go with the copperhead I own one its great. Id go with a 1073 style preamp I like color vs transparency
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
iΒ΄d get 2x Sound Skulptor MP573 + housing (very good Neve Style preamp)
+ a used GT (Groove Tubes) Model 1a
+ a Nevaton MC416 if the budget still fits

peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot View Post
Ben, what kind/s of music are you recording, and what kind of sound/s are you wanting?

Without knowing that, people are just shooting in the dark.

Would you happen to have any sound clips of your recordings?
I record all kinds of things which is why I'm really looking for a good all around workhorse combo. Mostly probably vocals. Here are a few examples of variety of what I've recorded. keep in mind that all of these examples are from years apart and different studios but stylistically they are pretty indicative of what I aim for.
Attached Files

Bounce_207.mp3 (6.31 MB, 845 views)

epic%20narration%20mix3.mp3 (4.89 MB, 823 views)

Master%20EP%202013_mixdown06.mp3 (6.77 MB, 822 views)

mr%20producer%20radio%20edit.mp3 (5.85 MB, 808 views)

Old 24th June 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the samples. If you want to join the big leagues, you could start out buying some big league mics.

AKG C414 XLS around $900. It's killing every other mic in the recent GS nominations for Favourite Large Diaphragm Condenser Mics under $1000?

Shure SM7B - $400. A large dynamic workhorse.

For a mic preamp, I'd recommend the Phoenix Audio DRS-1. Around $1200, or less if you find used.

Here's my review. Phoenix Audio DRS-2 Mic Preamp/DI DRS2 Review by Dan Richards

And a GSer reviewing the DRS after reading my review.
Amateur Review: Phoenix DRS-1

So, we've spent $2500 of your $3500. I'd hold there. Order and use that gear for awhile, before looking for anything else.

Cheers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot View Post
Thanks for the samples. If you want to join the big leagues, you could start out buying some big league mics.

AKG C414 XLS around $900. It's killing every other mic in the recent GS nominations for Favourite Large Diaphragm Condenser Mics under $1000?

Shure SM7B - $400. A large dynamic workhorse.

For a mic preamp, I'd recommend the Phoenix Audio DRS-1. Around $1200, or less if you find used.

Here's my review. Phoenix Audio DRS-2 Mic Preamp/DI DRS2 Review by Dan Richards

And a GSer reviewing the DRS after reading my review.
Amateur Review: Phoenix DRS-1

So, we've spent $2500 of your $3500. I'd hold there. Order and use that gear for awhile, before looking for anything else.

Cheers...
Thanks for the input. I was thinking about picking up a C414. Great mic. as far as the SM7 goes, I actually don't like them very much at all. If I was going to go for more utility mics I'd probably pick up a Sennheiser 421. That's something I know I'm missing from my locker (bass shaping type mic). I'm definitely considering going the route of a few "cheaper" mics than one really expensive one but I know for sure I'm picking up a good pre because that's where I feel I'm lacking the most in my chain.
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dial View Post
Thanks for the input. I was thinking about picking up a C414. Great mic. as far as the SM7 goes, I actually don't like them very much at all. If I was going to go for more utility mics I'd probably pick up a Sennheiser 421. That's something I know I'm missing from my locker (bass shaping type mic). I'm definitely considering going the route of a few "cheaper" mics than one really expensive one but I know for sure I'm picking up a good pre because that's where I feel I'm lacking the most in my chain.
Yes, then go the 421 route. Good move. We've had many times where 421s have beat out U87s for vocal duties.

With a 414 and a 421, the next type of complementary mics would be something with a German sound, even with some coloration, and a bit darker. ..ala 47, 67.

Here's some background on classic mics.

Pro Studio Reviews - Classic Mics - The Les Pauls and Strats of the Microphone World - Dan Richards
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

The n72 from sca is still one of my favourites, it hangs with preamps 4x its cost. As for mics i cannot really pick anything under 3k, other than what everyone above has already commented.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
look at the following preamps:
M12(API clone) and M73(Neve clone)
ReviveAudio.com

Also the following Mic's
Advanced Audio Microphones - Professional microphones at affordable prices. We provide studio quality mics for the home and pro recording industry.

You are missing any Sub bass mics...a reverse speaker. and dearly in need of quality large dynamics: RE-20, 421, 441, 431, Hiel PR40, or even the new KSM8

And I would look at owning a single Coles 4038. Since the exchange rate for the pound is currently favorable, good time to buy Coles.

A used Sony C38B is a very useful mic going for under 1K on ebay.

Line Audio CM3's are a HUGE step up from the C1000s and cost under $150 each

e906 is a useful typical dynamic mic for about $200

and if you want to get into Analog summing
Summing Mixer Neumann v475 Vintage Maker - Vintage Design djpaulmusic paul taylor

The C1000S and AT37 are the worst mic's I have ever used...just hate them.
Old 27th June 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
look at the following preamps:
M12(API clone) and M73(Neve clone)
ReviveAudio.com

Also the following Mic's
Advanced Audio Microphones - Professional microphones at affordable prices. We provide studio quality mics for the home and pro recording industry.

You are missing any Sub bass mics...a reverse speaker. and dearly in need of quality large dynamics: RE-20, 421, 441, 431, Hiel PR40, or even the new KSM8

And I would look at owning a single Coles 4038. Since the exchange rate for the pound is currently favorable, good time to buy Coles.

A used Sony C38B is a very useful mic going for under 1K on ebay.

Line Audio CM3's are a HUGE step up from the C1000s and cost under $150 each

e906 is a useful typical dynamic mic for about $200

and if you want to get into Analog summing
Summing Mixer Neumann v475 Vintage Maker - Vintage Design djpaulmusic paul taylor

The C1000S and AT37 are the worst mic's I have ever used...just hate them.
Good suggestions on the Pres. As far as dynamics go, I just pulled the mic list off my website. I actually have a custom built reverse speaker mic as well as several other midrange drum mics comparable to the ones you listed. I am really only looking for a solid high end critical vocal condenser that I can use on other sources as well.
Old 27th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
From your own suggestion list, I would go with the Great River and either the Copperhead or TLM 49. They're not only great items but resale down the line might be important and going boutique can cost $ if you ever need a quick sale.

I always recommend the Blue Rocket package with all the capsules. Not only do they sound good, give you lots of options, it's fun to switch capsules in and out to match the situation. You can also purchase a used M7 capsule to fit the Rocket and Violet Design has some great capsules that also fit the Rocket.
Old 21st July 2016
So just an update for everyone, I was able to pick up a combo that I think is going to be stellar for me. I got a Peluso 22 251 and a Manley Dual Mono for a combined $2100.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will probably be looking to get a good pair of LDC's next and/or a few 421's for the studio. Think I'll do a shootout soon for the mic with my current setup.
πŸ“ Reply