The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what's your favourite filter? Analog Processors (HW)
Old 12th October 2002
Gear Maniac

what's your favourite filter?

hey everybody,

i'm a first time poster, long time reader, and i'm curious to know what you all recommend in a lowpass/highpass filter. i'm not after shelving eq, i'm looking for filters for creative effects (think techno build-sweeps, but not as corny). I'm interested in hardware (rack or pedal) and software effects, i'm desperate so i'll consider them all. preferably i'm looking for low/high/band pass with resonance, in the one package. i use logic gold, and am about to switch to mac so my choices of plugins are scarce until au's take off/over.

this is one i have been considering: http://www.melmusic.com.au/fw/frostwav.html

i'm not really worried about premium sound quality, i'm looking to mess things up for drumloops, etc. i appreciate any help you can all give. it's a pleasure to be a member of this excellent forum. it's a lot more polite and helpful here than other forums. i won't mention any site by name...
Old 12th October 2002
Lives for gear

I use a couple, the Sherman Filterbank is GREAT!heh The Electrix Filterfactory is very cool if you can find one used for cheap.heh The minimoog filter is a classicheh I don't know if Bob's building and equivalent stand alone unit these days? In plug-in land, the Waldorf D-Pole is like a neo-classic. In ProTools, in a pinch I'll use the soft Virus filters but they sound a bit harsh and nasal to me... I much prefer hardware!

Have fun!yuktyy
Old 12th October 2002
Here for the gear

Definitely purchase the frostwave. From a sonic standpoint, it is well worth the meager investment . My only complaint is its poor response to cv control.

-kesserich
Old 12th October 2002
Gear Maniac

thanx for the suggestions, everybody! please keep them coming!

hey kesserich, what can you tell me about frostwave? it is definately high on my list from a price point, but i will probably be buying sight-unseen/sound-unheard. the only retail outlet is in melbourne, and i live in brisbane (about 23 hours drive away). i really like the size of a pedal rather than more rack gear. i should mention i'm trying to stay portable. i currently use a pc but am getting an ibook and mbox in a few weeks. is the sound quality good for a pedal?

i have checked out the electrix models, the half-rack filterqueen looks cool. does anyone hav eany experience with this unit. has anyone heard the alesis philtre? looks like what i'm after at a cheapo price, but i have had a few experiences with cheapo gear, as we all have!
Old 12th October 2002
Mooger Fooger PT plug in from Bomb Factory is kinda cool for a software filter...

Old 12th October 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah but it doesn't have a bandpass setting which is kind of mandatory for serious filtering action... grggt

By the way has anybody tried the new (pro?) version of Korg's KAOSS pad?
Old 12th October 2002
Lives for gear

My fave creative software filters are
McDSP Filterbank: F1,2 and 3.
GRM Tools
and there's a free VST plug-in that's cool called North Pole.

No software filters totally "do it" for me.

The filters on the Roland samplers are cool.

I bet analogue hardware is where it's at, but software is 90% there, plus you get all the benefits of recall etc etc...
Old 12th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Ok I will let you in on a little secret...

Evolver

Shipping this month...mine is on pre-order

2 analog osc, 2 digital, analog filters,

It is Dave Smith's baby... the man behind the Prophet 5

$475 get's you analog filters + a mono analog synth

listen to some of the samples...makes a nice distortion box too

Old 12th October 2002
Gear Maniac

oh yeh he was also the guy behing that obscure thing called MIDI
Old 12th October 2002
Available in RTAS?

Old 12th October 2002
Lives for gear

McDSP filterbank as a plugin but nothing I have seen or heard comes even close to the good old (Belgian btw) Sherman Filterbank.
Old 13th October 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by supaheef
thanx for the suggestions, everybody! please keep them coming!

hey kesserich, what can you tell me about frostwave? it is definately high on my list from a price point, but i will probably be buying sight-unseen/sound-unheard. the only retail outlet is in melbourne, and i live in brisbane (about 23 hours drive away).
Hey, supaheef!

The frostwave resonator is a filter section clone of the Korg MS-20. 24db/oct hp & lp with separate resonance control for each. It has a much more analogue aesthetic(although not nescessarily better) than either the filterbank or BF's Moogerfooger. Think warp/early Aphex Twin.

Self-oscillating through resonance abuse is easly obtained on both filters and brings with it signicant compression -unlike the mcdsp's . Honestly, it is my filter of choice for processing well recorded acoustic instruments(alone with a SEM). My only grip is its poor response to CV control. The circuitry insists on bandlimiting itself, and no matter how many volts you fire into the LP's cv, you will never be able to match its standalone 16k top end.

Hope that helps,
-kesserich
Old 13th October 2002
One with big hooves

I have an Electrix Filter Queen which is the half-rack thing. It's cool but not quite as out of control as a Filterbank. Has anyone spent time with the Mutator?
Old 13th October 2002
Gear Maniac

I've got one of those half-rack Electrix EQ Killer , great for lots of weird stuff.

Electrix closed their operations a couple of months ago, there are still unopened boxes that can be had for pocket change in some stores. I predict that some of these units are destined to become very sought after items.

/Mats
Old 13th October 2002
Lives for gear

Hi supaheef
If you are using logic you should try the filters on the EVOC 20 .
Old 14th October 2002
Here for the gear

yup

i've got a FW resonator and i love it. it's really useful for a lot of things and is definitely my most used effects pedal. see the gear slutz guitar pedal thred for my comments as well, but it's great for taking a sound and slotting it into a particular spot in the mix. the sound fits better with conventional desk EQs than a vactrol filter does (Wiard Borg, Buchla 292, MOTM 410) so using it to roll highs works well. we also use in much the same way you might use a DBX sub-harmonic box, adding lows to stuff that needs it.

it can be pretty noisy in mid to high oscillation but that hasn't really got in the way in the applications i've used it on. you can get a lot out of it without even getting to that range of oscillation.

ch.
Old 14th October 2002
Here for the gear

oh yeah, forgot to say that evolver looks dope. one of the most interesting non-modular synth products to come along in a long time. dave smith's filters have always been good (SCI prophet five, pro-one) and in this box you get that plus a delay, distortion, an envelope follower, and less than a foot of a footprint. and it's a full mono-synth to boot!

thinking about it now, hold off on the FW and get the evolver!

ch.
Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Has anyone spent time with the Mutator?
Awesome, friggin' awesome. The only problem is if you recall this unit, even if you SWEAR it's the exact same settings, it will sound different. Peter Gabriel actually gave "Mutator" playing rights in his current album. Mutronics discontinued them just enough to piss me off. Haven't seen one in years.
Old 16th October 2002
One with big hooves

That's a bummer. I like the Mutator. Ever see the midi version? What did that add to the mix?
Old 16th October 2002
Lives for gear

I use a filter factory and have been known to use the Electro Harmonix Microsynth from time to time. I love em both. Eqs work well too.
Old 31st October 2002
Lives for gear

Did anybody try the new Filter Freak plug yet?

http://www.digidesign.com/developers...ter_freak.html

Old 31st October 2002
Gear Addict

I love the - ahem - Alesis AirFX! Some pretty groovy filters and effects. Sounds great as a pre/post filter along with a verb or delay. You can get em for a song now too.

Oh, and people visiting the studio get a kick out of them too. "What's that? Ooh, you can play it with your hand or whatever?"

I've been curious about the MoogerFoogers w/ the cv pedal. Anyone here use one of those? I understand that Blake guy likes em.
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Nut

re: mutator

I have a Mutator. They are still available.

http://www.mutronics.co.uk/

The plus is it is very easy to make a good sound with it. Right after patching something in you get something good. With the Sherman you really have to work with it.

On the negative is that it is only a low-pass filter.

With the midi one you can control the cut-off, resonance, and sync lfo.
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Head

We have a Mutater at work it rules. I love puitting Vox through it. You gotta really compress before hitting it and after though in my opinion for it be HOT. The Sherman Filterbank someone should really teach a class on it what a ****ed up piece of gear mine and 3 freinds all have it none of understand it, The manuals the boringest manual EVER so that course of action was muted. I just use some logic and twist and turn till it sounds good.
Old 5th November 2002
Lives for gear

Ditto on ANY of the Electrix stuff. The MoFX is another box that is loads of fun and includes "eq kill" on each block of effects... Got mine for 9 bucks @ Guitar Center.
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Maniac

ah my Evolver arrives tomorrow I'll let you know how it stacks up once I put it through its paces....I listened to the samples of the mutator on the website and It sounded very musical compared to what I have heard of the sherman which seems like its harder to get results you want (but that is sometimes fun too)...My next filter purchase is going to be FilterFreak plug...if it sounds anything like the other plugins I heard from them it is going to RULE...I was planning on getting the Bombfactory moogerfer bundle s well...
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

The Mutator is still available, although it did seem to go out of production a while back. I received an email from Mutronics yesterday saying they have three in stock, unbalanced models but can be modified, but after those three are gone it will be about ten weeks before they come into stock again.

Peace,

Yorik
Old 18th November 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
The Sherman Filterbank someone should really teach a class on it what a ****ed up piece of gear mine and 3 freinds all have it none of understand it, The manuals the boringest manual EVER so that course of action was muted. I just use some logic and twist and turn till it sounds good.
I agree wholeheartedly. Have ANYONE been able to get a 'soft' analog (the FilterBank IS supposed to be analog) sound from the FB? I am considering selling mine and picking up something a little more versatile. Everytime I use it on something, it sounds harsh, noisy and completely 'separate' from the sound I'm trying to effect. Recently (I've had the FB about two years), I went through the manual again, trying to figure out exactly how to control this monster for good... Maybe I'll pick up a Lovetone.

-cal
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Addict

Favorite Filter?

My favorites are the gold ones so that you don't have to keep buying the paper ones.
Plus, with the gold ones, your over-worked and exhausted assistant doesn't keep screwing up by not aligning the paper ones in the machine correctly thereby getting grounds in the pot....tut

Sorry, just woke up.fuuck
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Addict

Truly, the Filterbank is a pain in the ass, redeemable only by its occassionally providing something so over the top brilliant that it must go to tape immediately. You can't go looking for it, mind you. It seems to choose its own moments.

The Mutator. yummmmmmmmmmmmm.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search