The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Golden Age Comp 3a Vs. La3a
Old 14th June 2016
Golden Age Comp 3a Vs. La3a

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had the chance to AB the GAP comp 3a to an original or a reissue La3a ? It would be great to see a cheap good alternative..
Old 14th June 2016
Anyone ?
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

Here is a new german review with nice sound files (LA3A vs Comp-3A: Golden Age Project Comp-3A Test - Seite 3*::*Bonedo

Same files also on youtube: https://youtu.be/2R9Fd3l8D2U

I recommend just to listen to the files, without visual distraction. There is a difference...But I am sure here will come soon a mod on gearslutz :-)
Old 20th June 2016
Thank you Lars !

The Comp 3a sounds good and I like its GR behavior a lot, I think they nailed it on the GR behavior but the sound is different to the UA version, the GAS has more bottom and top end while the UA version is more mid forward and distorts a bit more.. The GAS in this comparison is bigger sounding though so I guess one can over shine the other based on the program.
One get a lot for the price with the Comp 3a for sure !
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
The Comp 3a sounds good and I like its GR behavior a lot, I think they nailed it on the GR behavior ...
I tend to agree with the author of that review, that the UA-version is indeed a bit faster (both attack and release times) and grabs a bit more "confident" as he puts it...nonetheless the GAP sounds good to my ears.
Old 30th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
Thank you Lars !

The Comp 3a sounds good and I like its GR behavior a lot, I think they nailed it on the GR behavior but the sound is different to the UA version, the GAS has more bottom and top end while the UA version is more mid forward and distorts a bit more.. The GAS in this comparison is bigger sounding though so I guess one can over shine the other based on the program.
One get a lot for the price with the Comp 3a for sure !
You are welcome

You are right, it is always somehow unfair to compare, as it is difficult to find a setting for the same sound and little level differences cheat our ears...
Old 22nd July 2016
Sound on Sound just gave a very nice detailed review of the Golden Age LA3-A. Golden Age Project Comp-3A | Sound On Sound
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Sound on Sound just gave a very nice detailed review of the Golden Age LA3-A. Golden Age Project Comp-3A | Sound On Sound
What was their verdict?
Old 22nd July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_r View Post
What was their verdict?
It sounds wondeful; and with its low price, it has tempted me to buy two of them and to put them in a rack
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
It sounds wondeful; and with its low price, it has tempted me to buy two of them and to put them in a rack
I am also tempted!

For anyone who has both- for my bedroom guitar and bass chain I use Reddi>Gap Pre73 DLX>Purple MC77.

I was wondering if adding the LA3A style compressor would significantly improve my signal chain?
Old 22nd July 2016
It would not improve your chain but it will provide an added flavor to your chain. Especially when LA2-A's (hardware or plug in) is too colored or smooth and you want a more solid but pleasant compressor.
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_r View Post
I am also tempted!

For anyone who has both- for my bedroom guitar and bass chain I use Reddi>Gap Pre73 DLX>Purple MC77.

I was wondering if adding the LA3A style compressor would significantly improve my signal chain?
A 3a type compressor is going to be much different than an 1176 type compressor. That may or may not be an improvement, depending on what you are into and what a given track might need. Is a Ricky 4001 an improvement over a Jazz bass?
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
A 3a type compressor is going to be much different than an 1176 type compressor. That may or may not be an improvement, depending on what you are into and what a given track might need. Is a Ricky 4001 an improvement over a Jazz bass?
You misunderstood me- I meant to add the 3a comp to the same chain- so two comps- I wondered if two compressors would be even better than one... (I love what MC77 does...)
Old 23rd July 2016
Gear Guru

Aaahhhh. It might be cool. Its a classic vocal thing to use a FET comp and an opto comp in series, so it could be cool on bass. I'm sure I've done it, but I can't recall when.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear
Just picked up one and on vocals to me it sounds terrific! Great purchase!
Old 22nd May 2019
Rea
Lives for gear

Gotta love that they call their own compressor:

"ONE CHANNEL VINTAGE STYLE 3-BAND EQUALIZER"

Good thing they dont call their Equalizer "Vintage style Microphone"...

https://www.goldenageproject.com/outboards-2/comp-3-a/
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
Gotta love that they call their own compressor:

"ONE CHANNEL VINTAGE STYLE 3-BAND EQUALIZER"

Good thing they dont call their Equalizer "Vintage style Microphone"...

https://www.goldenageproject.com/outboards-2/comp-3-a/
OOPS
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
So there’s a typo on their website?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Toms View Post
So there’s a typo on their website?
Yep. I assume who ever did the site used a previous page as a template and didn't replace the main headline.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search