The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I have to spend 3,5 k on studio upgrade. Help! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 14th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have to spend 3,5 k on studio upgrade. Help!

Hi guys,

Don't You love this kind of posts

Well, the time has come up. I got some dough collected and to be frank- I dont know what to do with it

Ok, before I ask about Your opinion on how should I spend the money I want to clarify some things. I do mostly electronic stuff with a vocal and maybe bass. No live drums - only samples and elektron machinedrum stuff. Below is the gear I have. I dont need any more mics and summing stuff as I truly belive in mixing guy with good skills (me???). the FF800 is also enough for me as far as it goes for conversion issues.

So, the list goes:

FF800
Adam s3a's
Novation SL25
Elektron Machinedrum SPS UW
CME UF 5
ATTY
Korg Pad kontroll
Drawmer 1968 ME
Great River NV1
7 Real Trap Mini Traps
DBX 166 XL
Brauner Phantom AE
Shure KSM 44

Now my consideration for next purchase were some compressores
What would You chose:

2x Distressors

or

SSl Duende plus 1 Distressor

or

SSL Duende plus RNC, RNLA and DBX 160 A

or

SSL Duende + Purple MC77

or

Distressor + Purple MC77

or

Mackie MCU Pro plus 2 extenders

What do You think would help my workflow and from which of the above would my music benefit mostly?
Please take flexibility and the final impact on my production. Is Distressor a lot better than Duende- soundwise?

Thanks for any input

Cheers

Marty
Old 14th February 2007
Lives for gear
errr . . . how about save it until you do know what to spend it on.

I mean, if you don't know, then you don't really need anything.
Old 14th February 2007
Lives for gear

I like the Purple/Distressor combo. You'll get crazy mileage out of those two kids.
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Addict

duende and mc77 without a doubt imo

i heard somewhere they tested duende against its analog counterparts and 80% of the engineers who heard it couldnt tell the difference in a blind test

never used it though but thats gota tell you sumin
Old 14th February 2007
Lives for gear

i agree with GearHunter:

the Distressor/Purple Audio combo is the most versatile and will hold its value for the longest period of time....

the only compressor missing that i would suggest for tracking is the Tube-Tech CL-1B.
that's one awesome piece of gear!!

i would go with the Purple MC77 and the Tube-Tech CL-1B then add a pair of Distressors later if you are doing a lot of tracking and don't need a 2buss compressor.

if you do need a 2buss compressor, i would highly recommend either the Alan Smart C2 (perfect for that 'modern SSL' sound) or if your tastes run to the transparent, the Crane Song STC-8.

JMHO of course!

cheers and have fun with whatever you get!
~j.d.
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Head

You don't mention any acoustic treatment. If you have none or even just a little, I would spend the bulk of that cash on improving the room. If your room is great, then disregard this post.

Jason
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Guru

Jason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason poff View Post
You don't mention any acoustic treatment.
Marty said he has seven MiniTraps. But without knowing the size of his room it's difficult to say if more are warranted. (Well, okay, of COURSE more are warranted...)

heh

--Ethan
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Hi guys

Thanks for help, although I think I need some more time as The Byre suggested...

As for 2bus compressor the Drawmer 1968Me does it for me and I dont think I need another one.

As for the mini traps- sure I could get some more of those, since my room is pretty small (4 meters x 3 meters, which is about 13 feet x 10 feet), but since I live in Poland I dont wanna go through the customs/shipping hell anymore
The other problem is that I am running out of space, and I think my room response is usable already.

The Purple Audio/Distressor seems really tempting, but I hae to check out the SSL too.

Could You guys give me some more input on the Duende Distressor differences? I mean I get 32 channels with the first one... But is the quality comparable?

cheers

Marty
Old 15th February 2007
Gear maniac

Anyway, spend it to acoustics . I doesn't have very good slutzimpact but you will be more than pleased later. I am sure.

aapee
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

No, no, no! No more Traps. I want toys

Traps aint have any tubes in them. Ethan - have You ever considered putting some of them in future Traps projects ? heh

But seriously I have a lot of thinking to do. I am leaning towards the Duende, but when I think that its just another CPU squeezed in a rack... it kills me.

Cheers
M
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear
OK, so you can't wait and you don't want acoustic treatment and you want something with tubes in it.

Well here is the PERFECT toy for you . . .

http://vintageorgans.net/inventory.asp

Several models well within your budget there!
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks man- I knew I can count on You
Well, I know this thread is a bit of „gear masturbation”, but this is gear slutz right?

Thanks For Your help. As I know myself, probably I will end up with the MC 77 on my laps, cause „its so gorgeous purple” and Distressor „cause everyone has to have it”. I am sick and I love it.

See Ya

Marty
Old 15th February 2007
Gear interested

Start recording

Everything is cool with the equipment you have

START RECORDING THREAD

Although your style is more electronic a better mic an AKG414 or a Nuemann U87 would be a better all-around mic and it pays off at the end

have fun
obgs
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux View Post
Ethan - have You ever considered putting some of them in future Traps projects ? heh
Don't laugh, I have considered bass traps with a built-in LED ladder type meter to show how much bass they're absorbing. But would anyone be stupid enough to actually pay an extra $150 for that?

--Ethan
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
But would anyone be stupid enough to actually pay an extra $150 for that?
Do you really need an answer to that one?
Old 16th February 2007
Gear Guru

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search