The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GLS ES57 vs. Shure SM57 Dynamic Microphones
Old 7th June 2016
Gear Nut

GLS ES57 vs. Shure SM57

I know there are a lot of threads around this, but I cannot seem to get a definitive answer. My mic locker is pretty non existent right now and I'm trying to build it on a budget. Ultimately I'll be using this mic on snare drum, but I'm also looking for good versatility. Therefore that leads me to the 57. Is it worth the extra $80 for the Shure? What are the differences in the clone and the real thing? Really appreciate the help in advance!!
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Nut

I have 3 of each sitting right in front of me right now, use them both regularly. The ES57 is a neodymium magnet, which actually makes it closer in sound to a Beta 57 than a SM57 I'm told. (Never had a beta side by side with the ES.) The ES57 I find to be smoother sounding, and doesn't have the high-mid resonant peak as pronounced as a SM57. Overall, I seriously think they're about equal quality soundwise, just different. I like the peaky-ness of a SM57 on snare and distorted guitar, but like the ES57 better for clean guitar, and I used them all the time on toms when there are 3 or more. (Only 2 Senn 421's, you see ) I'd just say that they're different flavors, not a huge quality difference from one to another. I'd pick up a 3 pack of the ES57's if you don't have any dynamics right now, considering it's the same price as one Shure.
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Guru

I don't know the GLS ES57, but I'd still put it up before a 57...
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelTheFire View Post
I have 3 of each sitting right in front of me right now, use them both regularly. The ES57 is a neodymium magnet, which actually makes it closer in sound to a Beta 57 than a SM57 I'm told. (Never had a beta side by side with the ES.) The ES57 I find to be smoother sounding, and doesn't have the high-mid resonant peak as pronounced as a SM57. Overall, I seriously think they're about equal quality soundwise, just different. I like the peaky-ness of a SM57 on snare and distorted guitar, but like the ES57 better for clean guitar, and I used them all the time on toms when there are 3 or more. (Only 2 Senn 421's, you see ) I'd just say that they're different flavors, not a huge quality difference from one to another. I'd pick up a 3 pack of the ES57's if you don't have any dynamics right now, considering it's the same price as one Shure.
Thanks for the info!! So you wouldn't particularly reccomend the es57 for snare since it doesn't have the same mid boost as the sm57? Also I was curious if you were maybe familiar with the es58 vs sm58 differences and if they are the same?
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I don't know the GLS ES57, but I'd still put it up before a 57...
Why's that?
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Nut

A lot of guys don't like the SM57 for its upper midrange bump (I'm going to assume that's what Drumsound is talking about). I mostly record heavy rock, punk, and metal, so that high bump can really help a snare or guitar cut through a mix. I've used the ES57 on snare and dirty guitar before, and it certainly doesn't sound bad. The best way I can describe it is that the shure sounds a little "edgier", while the GLS is "smoother". Pretty subjective, but if I went to a studio that had only GLS and no Shures, I certainly wouldn't cry about it.
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
A lot of guys don't like the SM57 for its upper midrange bump (I'm going to assume that's what Drumsound is talking about). I mostly record heavy rock, punk, and metal, so that high bump can really help a snare or guitar cut through a mix. I've used the ES57 on snare and dirty guitar before, and it certainly doesn't sound bad. The best way I can describe it is that the shure sounds a little "edgier", while the GLS is "smoother". Pretty subjective, but if I went to a studio that had only GLS and no Shures, I certainly wouldn't cry about it.
Would you say something like the i5 is smoother than the sm57 as well?
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Nut

I own two I5's as well. The Audix is interesting, I'd almost describe it as a more "modern" sounding 57. Still bright, but it's peak is higher up than a 57. Smoother? Maybe a little bit, but more like a different brand of the same flavor. Not a huge fan of the I5 on snare as I think it gets less crack sound, and more sizzle (plenty of people will disagree with me on this one), but I really dig it on *really* dirty guitar. Someone lugs a Mesa Triple Rec into the studio, it's probably going to be the first mic I grab to try. Overall, if you don't have a ton of money for mics, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the GLS stuff. Having different flavors to try is great, but if you can only have one, it might as well be one that is just as good quality for less money.
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
I own two I5's as well. The Audix is interesting, I'd almost describe it as a more "modern" sounding 57. Still bright, but it's peak is higher up than a 57. Smoother? Maybe a little bit, but more like a different brand of the same flavor. Not a huge fan of the I5 on snare as I think it gets less crack sound, and more sizzle (plenty of people will disagree with me on this one), but I really dig it on *really* dirty guitar. Someone lugs a Mesa Triple Rec into the studio, it's probably going to be the first mic I grab to try. Overall, if you don't have a ton of money for mics, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the GLS stuff. Having different flavors to try is great, but if you can only have one, it might as well be one that is just as good quality for less money.
Thank you so much for the help man! Lastly I was curious if you had any info on the es58 and if you think it is as comparable to the sm58?
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Nut

Sadly, I don't! Being mostly a studio guy playing in bands but rarely ever running my own sound, I own one measly SM58 and have never had a need to order any ES58s. I would have to assume, being that the difference between the Shure 57 and 58 is only the windscreen, the GLS's are probably the same. I've never got to use one though.
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sadly, I don't! Being mostly a studio guy playing in bands but rarely ever running my own sound, I own one measly SM58 and have never had a need to order any ES58s. I would have to assume, being that the difference between the Shure 57 and 58 is only the windscreen, the GLS's are probably the same. I've never got to use one though.
Ahhhh thanks man. Your help has been extremely helpful!!! Now just trying to figure what mic to get for vocals haha.
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njurkiewicz View Post
Why's that?
I just REALLY hate the SM57. Its kind of a running gag (especially at the Tape Op Boards) that I bag on the 57. I just have never once preferred in on any source that I've tried it on. There are a couple mics with an upper mid bump that I much prefer if I'm looking for something like that, including the AKG d1000d and Beyer M201. I had 2 57s. One was lent out and hit by a drummer. The band gave me repair money equal to the Shure flat fee and I bought new drumheads with the money. I traded the other for a signal tracer modded into a small guitar amp.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search