The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blumlein pairs Dynamic Microphones
Old 7th June 2016
Gear Addict

Blumlein pairs

In this article Bruce Swedien says:
I'll always go for spaced or Blumlein pairs. I'll use cardioid or omni mics for the Blumlein pairs — omnis work great — but bi-directional mics make it a little difficult.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov...es/swedien.htm
----------------------------

How can you do Blumlein pairs with just cardioid mics ?
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

As far as I know, Blumlein only works with two fig-8 mics. Perhaps they mean that the spaced pairs are cardioids or omni's.

Dutchy
Old 7th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy15 View Post
As far as I know, Blumlein only works with two fig-8 mics. Perhaps they mean that the spaced pairs are cardioids or omni's.

Dutchy
i'm just confused because his quote is "I'll use cardioid or omni mics for the Blumlein pairs"
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

he was testing the interviewer....
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Addict

I doubt it
Old 8th June 2016
maybe in his old age he said blumlein when he meant M-S? Maybe it's a typo from the interviewer? Maybe he said "I use omni or cardioid for the SPACED PAIRS" and the interviewer thought that Blumlein was another name for spaced pair since he referenced it in the line before when saying "I'll always go for spaced or Blumlein pairs."

my guess is the interviewer didn't know what he was talking about and thought they were the same thing... so when he started saying he uses omni or cardioid for the spaced pairs, the interviewer substituted in "blumlein" instead.

Fig 8 for spaced pairs gets wacky, it usually works best with omni or cardioid.
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

If you've ever been interviewed by the press, you know how likely they will get it in print all wrong.
Old 8th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
If you've ever been interviewed by the press, you know how likely they will get it in print all wrong.
This.
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Guru

I'm gonna agree with the other an say the interviewer was confused. Bruce knows what's what!
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Nah, Swedien has form for this sort of thing. His own book has plenty of stuff in it that's completely baffling from a technical point of view. Including something about Blumlein IIRC. Not sure if it's deliberate disinformation or whether he really just doesn't know what a Blumlein pair is.
Old 8th June 2016
Gear Addict

Ok, well I email Bruce to ask for clarification. Hopefully he will clear it up. :-)
Old 9th June 2016
Gear Addict

Does a vertical stack like this pick up horizontal imaging too ? Is there a difference compared with if you put the mics horizontally like this?

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...3&d=1398720428

I just bought 2 Cad Audio trion 8000s to play with. I love those mics.

EDIT: I'll post this answer I found on the net to help others.

to answer your question, yes turning your blumlein mics to be in line and parallel to the floor would have a drastic effect. think about it -- when you have them vertically aligned, both mics are "looking" at the room. if you position them horizontally, you'd have one "looking" down at the floor/up toward the ceiling. this could be desirable in some situations. regardless, you are going to capture different reflections and thus a different image. wasn't blumlein developed to naturally reproduce the way we hear? horizontal blumlein would then be like turning your head sideways.

Last edited by bringmewater; 10th June 2016 at 02:06 PM..
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search