The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
which Tube pre with color Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 27th January 2004
Gear Addict

which Tube pre with color

I'm looking to add a tube based pre to my collection. Specifically one with a good amount of color. What comes to mind in the <$1000/channel category. Universal audio, a designs, manley?

I have a
vintech 72
chandler tg2
great river mp-2nv
sytek

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 27th January 2004
Gear Maniac

Looks like you have a colorfull collection already. Maybe try a Peavey VMP-2. I haven't tried the UA pre, but I'm a little concerned about the headroom from the feedback I've been getting.
Old 27th January 2004
Brandon - my two pennies. You already have a handful of the most colorful preamps on the market. Off the top of my head, the tube preamps under the $2000 range are less than ideal IMO. My advice, get another one of something you already have, it's not redundent to have more of a good thing. If you have your heart set on a tube preamp, I would suggest the Pendulum Audio MDP-1 stereo preamp with the "focused" Jensen on the input. It's not a down and dirty preamp, but it's not a 'straight wire with gain' approach either. It has a smooth 'euphonic' character and can be driven on the input for more harmonic content when desired. And most importantly, it's not an overdrive pedal in a rack form. You can always throw a Distressor on it, at least this way you have mucho options.
Old 28th January 2004
Lives for gear

TAB-Funkenwerk V72S

No competition!
Old 28th January 2004
Gear Head

if you're not afraid of racking, get some v72 or v72a/b (siemens tab telefunken or maihak).

the vmp-2 might be worth a try, too. you get a tube hi/lo shelf included in that one, even. but don't confuse it with the cheap tmp-1!

another one coming to my mind is the hdb audio tma-2. it's by the german company hdb/vermona. 2 channels for a lot less than 1000$, and even xformer in/outs. not a real super high end pre, but real color =)

check http://www.vermona.com/
they have dealers outside europe, too.
Old 28th January 2004
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
TAB-Funkenwerk V72S

No competition!
but that's slightly above the 1000/channel price range, isn't it?
Old 28th January 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by volki
but that's slightly above the 1000/channel price range, isn't it?
not if you´re lucky to find some on ebay and rack it up on your own.

but TAB-funkenwerk is too expensive.

@frist44

did you ever concider a TAB V76?

link for completely racked V72S

http://www.hestudiotechnik.de/deutsc...ik/new/tab.htm
Old 28th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jagarinec
not if you´re lucky to find some on ebay and rack it up on your own.

´

Check German ebay. The V72, V76 etc have built in power supply so it´s quite easy to rack them. I use my V77 preamps un-racked, just a connector with 220V and i/o on the back, works great. You could also talk to Jean Hund at www.sonicworld.de. He has most of the models in stock.
Old 28th January 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by echorec
´
You could also talk to Jean Hund at www.sonicworld.de. He has most of the models in stock.
unfortunately not all the time, but he is a very nice guy and will help you with all questions about it. he makes very nice rackings for telefunken ss modules too.

and if he will get some V72/V76 im sure he will be glad to sell them to you
Old 28th January 2004
CV7
Gear Maniac

Pre's again? I suggest you do a search, many many threads! especially look at Fletchers comments. Try an ART Tube MP, give you color! maybe not pretty color, but color.
Old 28th January 2004
Lives for gear
I'd go with A Designs or Manley given what's already in the rack.
Old 28th January 2004
Gear Addict

You already have some very high quality, high fi pres. Why not try a somewhat lower fi, budget vintage pre? The Altec 1567-A Mixer when fitted with mic pres (transformer) is actually a useful flavor. No, it's not Telefunken; but it costs a good deal less per channel as well.... The Peavey is also a great vaue.

R.P.

http://music.fac193.com/wordup/possthoughts.html
Old 28th January 2004
Lives for gear

The Manley is a great tube pre.
I wouldn`t call it " colored " though as it seems cleaner to me than a lot of class A stuff. It does have a variable slew rate thingy gummy so you can select how slow or fast it reacts to signals.
Very cool in my opinion.
Old 28th January 2004
Gear Addict

I'm not very familiar with the v72. What's the different between the telefunken version or siemens. Is the v76 tube? I may have to look into that altec mixer thing.

Brandon
Old 28th January 2004
Gear Maniac

There isn't a difference between the regular v72's. They were the standard preamp for the German Broadcast in the 50's. Many brands produced them.
But I do believe that Telefunken was the only brand building the v72a. This unit was made for recording studio use and didn't have the build-in frequency limits the broadcast modules had.
But the normal v72 can easily be modded to achieve the 20-20.000kHz frequency respons.

The v76 is a tube unit too. It has more gain and is very comprehensive. A normal price for a v76 is about 1000$ whereas the v72 can be had for 500$. Both are bargains, thinking that they're simply one of the best sounding preamps around.
In spite of its great sound, the v72 is rather limited (low gain, and you have to build a gain potmeter yourself).
The v76 is more transparant than the v72, from what I've heard.
I have a v72 but I'm going to pick up two v76's within some weeks. I could write a short review about them....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search