The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Max Martin "Can't Stop The Feeling" Bass Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

Max Martin "Can't Stop The Feeling" Bass

Hey guys!

So here in the US, this Justin Timberlake song called "Can't Stop The Feeling" has been topping the charts. It was produced by Max Martin, and there is this really cool distorted, filtered bass sound that runs throughout. It sounds like it has a vowel filter or deep phaser on it but I'm not sure. Also it's hard to tell if it's a synth or electric bass because of the way it is played. How do you think he made that sound and how can I achieve something similar? Thanks!

You can hear the sound clearly at 2:50 in this video.

https://youtu.be/ru0K8uYEZWw
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's a big song for sure. Classic Max Martin.
To be honest, I remember hearing the track for the first time in my car and really not liking that sound at all. But that said it is extremely effective at making a feature of the bass.
It's a real bass guitar for sure with what I think is a phaser of some sort. It also almost sounds like it's being filtered by a wah pedal left at one position throughout although I doubt that's how the sound was actually achieved.
Old 8th June 2016
Here for the gear
The break down section sounds doubled and in octaves. I'm not hearing anything below the fundamental though (based on a 4 string bass). Filtered (Q-Tron, even wah wah in a rather fixed posision, or similar) effect, possible a low octaver (which could explain the synth likeness). But I'm not hearing the (lower) octave. So I'd rather guess it's a double tracked electric bass one with the Q-Tron (or whatever it is) and one "clean", there's a good dose of saturation in there though. Then the "octave feel" would be from the Q-Tron effect. Maybe. The electric bass definitely plays the fundamental though we hear/sense more of the upper harmonics. The guitar partly doubles the bass at times but it doesn't mess with the bass tone.

I don't think it's a P-bass. I'm hearing too much of a J-bass bridge tone (growl, bite) in there for it to be only P-bass (pickup).

I'm tempted to think there could be a fretless bass in there (especially in the breakdown) :D the lack of (fret) attack / sound suggests that... but I doubt it though... Incidentally I picked up my fretless when I played along

On the recording from the Eurovision Song Contest (one of the first public live performances of the song) the bass is clean, partly doubled by one of the guitars at times.

Last edited by Skonrokk; 8th June 2016 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 25th August 2016
Gear Nut
The track seems to be inspired by Indie Pop music, I remember Breakbot had some similar styled tracks back in 2011. I'd also like to throw in DNCE Toothbrush, it also has a very powerful feel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrUJyKsLQeU
Old 8th October 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonrokk View Post
The break down section sounds doubled and in octaves. I'm not hearing anything below the fundamental though (based on a 4 string bass). Filtered (Q-Tron, even wah wah in a rather fixed posision, or similar) effect, possible a low octaver (which could explain the synth likeness). But I'm not hearing the (lower) octave. So I'd rather guess it's a double tracked electric bass one with the Q-Tron (or whatever it is) and one "clean", there's a good dose of saturation in there though. Then the "octave feel" would be from the Q-Tron effect. Maybe. The electric bass definitely plays the fundamental though we hear/sense more of the upper harmonics. The guitar partly doubles the bass at times but it doesn't mess with the bass tone.

I don't think it's a P-bass. I'm hearing too much of a J-bass bridge tone (growl, bite) in there for it to be only P-bass (pickup).

I'm tempted to think there could be a fretless bass in there (especially in the breakdown) :D the lack of (fret) attack / sound suggests that... but I doubt it though... Incidentally I picked up my fretless when I played along

On the recording from the Eurovision Song Contest (one of the first public live performances of the song) the bass is clean, partly doubled by one of the guitars at times.

Adam Blackstone is amazing! A prodigy for sure... he does play a Sadowsky though in their jazz configuration. I'm pretty certain he uses ALOT of Aguilar effects since he's a big part of the Aguilar family.
Old 13th November 2016
Here for the gear

My guess is the same one bass performance is split into three separate tracks. (1) raw (2) slightly overdriven/distorted (3) filtered with auto-wah style, as you can hear the envelope ever so slightly move on occasion. I want to say there is a fourth split playing with the harmonics or octaves but I think it's just an effect as a result of blending the the three together.
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Nut

I can recall a movie about a kid...he gets his kicks doing math problems that no one else can figure out, but he's a actually a janitor...Anyway, his best friend is Ben Affleck....can't remember now...

Lyrically intense, masterful songwriting...HOO!...Can't stop the feeling! Dance dance dance. Squashed beyond Oblivion.

Genius!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search