The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Scape SSL4000 Buss Compressor Clone.. Woah!
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Nut

I've noticed there has been no mention of the overall tone / coloration. One of my goals is to make my digital instruments and mixes less sterile. Besides the actual compression can I expect a little bit of analog magic?
Old 9th July 2018
I own a real SSL FGX384, back in I think January or so I bought an Audioscape G Comp, which is their SSL Clone. I bought it for use as a parallel drum compressor. Recently it was distorting. I contacted Audio Scape and Chris Yetter the owner, sent me a Fedex return label and I sent it back to him. Less than a week after I sent it he sent me an email saying it was fixed and included the tracking. It came back and now is sounding just fine. I had one other issue which was the output of this unit was hotter than my SSL. I contacted Chris and he's sending me a new board that will take care of that. So to say the least, his customer service is really great.
So if you're worried about support for what he sells I can tell you from personal experience he does the right thing by his customers.

As far as sound the unit definitely has the 384 sound to it. When I get the board and can level match them I will do an A/B between the Audio-Scape and the real thing. Then you can decide for yourself. I do think the G Comp is a bargain at this price and would recommend it .
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I own a real SSL FGX384, back in I think January or so I bought an Audioscape G Comp, which is their SSL Clone. I bought it for use as a parallel drum compressor. Recently it was distorting. I contacted Audio Scape and Chris Yetter the owner, sent me a Fedex return label and I sent it back to him. Less than a week after I sent it he sent me an email saying it was fixed and included the tracking. It came back and now is sounding just fine. I had one other issue which was the output of this unit was hotter than my SSL. I contacted Chris and he's sending me a new board that will take care of that. So to say the least, his customer service is really great.
So if you're worried about support for what he sells I can tell you from personal experience he does the right thing by his customers.

As far as sound the unit definitely has the 384 sound to it. When I get the board and can level match them I will do an A/B between the Audio-Scape and the real thing. Then you can decide for yourself. I do think the G Comp is a bargain at this price and would recommend it .
I can also vouch for Chris. One channel of my unit started humming noticeably. Chris turned that repair around in less than a week and this in the face of a dangerous Florida bound hurricane looming over his shop that was just days away.
Old 1st August 2018
I have a light weekend so I will try to post some A/B comparisons of the SSL with the G Comp
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I have a light weekend so I will try to post some A/B comparisons of the SSL with the G Comp
I'll be interested to hear it - thanks
Old 2nd August 2018
Here for the gear

Another happy Audio Scape user here!
Old 2nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymetalguy View Post
Trust me guys.. Just buy it! Its stupid cool and well worth the money. I still use mine all the time. About a month ago I was decommissioning a studio near me and they had a real G384 buss comp there, I purchased it along with a pile of other gear for the shop I work for and had a chance to take it home for the night and ran some quick A/B tests. The real deal sounded a bit "tired" and had more of a noise floor when pushed that the audio scape did not. I would assume its the more modern VCA they are using. I actually like the audio scape better and after selling the G-384 on Reverb for $2600 about 2 hours after listing it, Im glad its gone. I did NOT hear $2000 difference in better sound at all over the original.
I agree here, I think the Slew rate and time scaling of much older VCA chips does and can account for certainly a much more dirty to gritty type of sound and as to side chains? Shove a Digital Delay before and after the Sidechain and input and outputs, try it...see how the signal goes to the VCA’s after that send a sine wave through the side chain, null the stereo channels and see just exactly where the program material leans, as on those older 384 designs keying the input was preferred to a full stereo option (SL4K). It also might just be prudent to remember that higher threshold to make up gain often equates to more real compression and at your ratio! So not loudness though like for like bandwidth compression I do think many go overboard using make up gain!

Interesting unit!
Old 2nd August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
I agree here, I think the Slew rate and time scaling of much older VCA chips does and can account for certainly a much more dirty to gritty type of sound and as to side chains? Shove a Digital Delay before and after the Sidechain and input and outputs, try it...see how the signal goes to the VCA’s after that send a sine wave through the side chain, null the stereo channels and see just exactly where the program material leans, as on those older 384 designs keying the input was preferred to a full stereo option (SL4K). It also might just be prudent to remember that higher threshold to make up gain often equates to more real compression and at your ratio! So not loudness though like for like bandwidth compression I do think many go overboard using make up gain!

Interesting unit!
When I first tested it, it reminded me of my Harrison Consoles VCAs which turned out to be the same DBX202 Gold potted VCA that the 384 uses. The Audio Scape uses a newer varieant made by THAT corp and to my ear just sounds "better".
Old 2nd August 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

I wonder how this will compare with the Stam Audio SA 4000MKII?
I’m seriously looking to get one of these 2. I’ve seen comparisons of the original SA4000 and this unit, but since they said the MKII internals are much closer to SSL’s original I’m super curious.
Old 2nd August 2018
anyone here have any experience with some of the different mods out there for the CL 7720? I have one in stock form and definitely like it but know it could sound better. ZenPro and Revive both offer mods and look similar. Worth it to get mine upgraded (about $350 with shipping - no trans upgrade)) or make a move for one of these??
Old 9th August 2018
Just got my audio scape G bus comp and wow
Old 10th August 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
Do tell!
Old 10th August 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Yup I'm very interested too!
Old 10th August 2018
So as a big SSL loving kind of guy I've used every version of this bus comp you can imagine and of course I have found my go to top 3, but then I git this beast. This is my single recommendation to all itb mixers everywhere. GET THIS PIECE NOW! Don't guess about it, don't muddle about it just do it! Now that I got that out let's talk about it
So...
It keeps the realism of the record while doing that SSL glue thing they're known for. Now with nothing really in its signal path it sounds like an SSL xl 9000 k which is pretty clean and man this thing has a punch for days. Now I recognize my bias as an SSL lover and with that being said this thing still delivers the goods as the 20 tracks I exported for various clients today (rock, rap, r&b) all said WOW as they listened back through the speakers (Presonis Eris 8's and the Tremlo 10 sub) and headphones (ATh-50x's). The "gluing effect you get as you compress more and open up the attack while either using the automated release or it's fastest release time is just silly good. Like as I compressed more (8-5 dB) and turned the makeup gain up it just got warmer and sounded great, something I attribute to both the build, design and overall quality of the unit (CLAP for its creator cause I have been all day). But again as an SSL fanboy I have read up on the "preferred" GR for these units and most overall being -4db of GR and you know what, they were right! it's instant magic and musical cohesion and that's all our records need because guess what, until you hear this thing in action on your own music you won't fully appreciate what's going on and believe me whatever is going on under the hood is pretty damn good and that is all we all can ask for.

Side note.
I 100% understand why this is used in a mastering context as it pulls the midrange forward without losing the actual midrange information or scooping it out at higher levels. It controls lowend like nothing else and can really thicken up a mix fast. I would give this a 10/10 but I've only had it for a day, granted I've done 4 mixes with it and 20 roughs with it as well but you know how the honeymoon phase is...But I'm no rookie and I like what Ilike and I damn sure like this
All and all does it beat most SSL plugins, yup, still does. Does it sound like an SSL G buss comp, yes it does. Will you get an SSL console feel from it, yes and no as it's only 1 piece to the puzzle and that puzzles pieces are scattered about so you gotta search to complete it. With that said I'm gonna try every console itb I own and find the pairing that works for me and sounds great with it because it's now worth it. Enjoy and I hope this helped as it's been a long time coming!
Old 10th August 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
So as a big SSL loving kind of guy I've used every version of this bus comp you can imagine and of course I have found my go to top 3, but then I git this beast. This is my single recommendation to all itb mixers everywhere. GET THIS PIECE NOW! Don't guess about it, don't muddle about it just do it! Now that I got that out let's talk about it
So...
It keeps the realism of the record while doing that SSL glue thing they're known for. Now with nothing really in its signal path it sounds like an SSL xl 9000 k which is pretty clean and man this thing has a punch for days. Now I recognize my bias as an SSL lover and with that being said this thing still delivers the goods as the 20 tracks I exported for various clients today (rock, rap, r&b) all said WOW as they listened back through the speakers (Presonis Eris 8's and the Tremlo 10 sub) and headphones (ATh-50x's). The "gluing effect you get as you compress more and open up the attack while either using the automated release or it's fastest release time is just silly good. Like as I compressed more (8-5 dB) and turned the makeup gain up it just got warmer and sounded great, something I attribute to both the build, design and overall quality of the unit (CLAP for its creator cause I have been all day). But again as an SSL fanboy I have read up on the "preferred" GR for these units and most overall being -4db of GR and you know what, they were right! it's instant magic and musical cohesion and that's all our records need because guess what, until you hear this thing in action on your own music you won't fully appreciate what's going on and believe me whatever is going on under the hood is pretty damn good and that is all we all can ask for.

Side note.
I 100% understand why this is used in a mastering context as it pulls the midrange forward without losing the actual midrange information or scooping it out at higher levels. It controls lowend like nothing else and can really thicken up a mix fast. I would give this a 10/10 but I've only had it for a day, granted I've done 4 mixes with it and 20 roughs with it as well but you know how the honeymoon phase is...But I'm no rookie and I like what Ilike and I damn sure like this
All and all does it beat most SSL plugins, yup, still does. Does it sound like an SSL G buss comp, yes it does. Will you get an SSL console feel from it, yes and no as it's only 1 piece to the puzzle and that puzzles pieces are scattered about so you gotta search to complete it. With that said I'm gonna try every console itb I own and find the pairing that works for me and sounds great with it because it's now worth it. Enjoy and I hope this helped as it's been a long time coming!
Thank you illsoulprod! It's the first time, after many years, that I see such a feeling of perfection towards a product. I will buy it for sure, I've already got in touch with the creator - Chris - that btw is really really kind, answers come fast and precise, just how everyone in this business should be (here in Italy such a pro attitude is pretty rare)
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

How much color does it impart with zero gain reduction?
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo4880 View Post
anyone here have any experience with some of the different mods out there for the CL 7720? I have one in stock form and definitely like it but know it could sound better. ZenPro and Revive both offer mods and look similar. Worth it to get mine upgraded (about $350 with shipping - no trans upgrade)) or make a move for one of these??
This post was kind of old but I did get a 7720 modded by Revive Audio. I opted for the output transformer as well. I do not know how it sounded before the mod. A friend gave it to me after he picked up a TK Audio comp but I can tell you it sounds great now. Actually, really clean like the TK Audio. I also have the Stam 4000 mk1 and it's kind of the same but different. Again, clean and transparent mostly. Great compressor now that it's been modded. I will say the mod cost almost as much as Audio Scape's compressor. Something to consider.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search