The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sound Proofing - Tracking vox w/o others at home hearing it. Suggestions?
Old 10th February 2007
Here for the gear

Sound Proofing - Tracking vox w/o others at home hearing it. Suggestions?

Bass and everything else doesn't matter. I just don't want people hearing me sing while I'm coming up with stuff. It has to be big enough for my desk. It's the writing/recording/engineering situation - not just a singer in a small box. I'm not concerned with achieving the best sound or keeping sound out. (obviously within reason)

The space is about 7' X 7' in the corner of a room. I'd like a solution that i can take with me when I eventually move as i am a renter.

I'm willing to go up to about $700 - $1000 cdn on this. but of course the cheaper the better.

tnx!
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Maniac

To keep sound from going through a barrier, you want mass, something that is very heavy for it's size. Bricks are great, but you are probably not going to set up a temporary brick wall.

Probably the best solution is to build yourself into a small room made of MDF. It's like particleboard, but has very fine particles. It's very heavy compared to plywood.

Build a frame out of 2x4s or similar, and cover it with the MDF. Make good joints, since the sound proof box is only as good as the seams.

Have you thought about venting the space? You need to get air in and out while you work.
Old 11th February 2007
Here for the gear

bump.
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Nut

If you are thinking about building anything, do yourself a favour and check out the forum on the John Sayers website...

Good luck!
Old 13th February 2007
Here for the gear

anymore ideas?
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Addict

i built myself a sound booth. but it isnt really what youre looking for it didnt isolate the sound it just cleared out reverberations etc and gave a nice "dead" space for vocals. Its basically 2 sets of two door frames joined together by hinges- i padded i layered the frames with polystyrren, then rockwool then acoustic foam on the inside- as i sed it doesnt islolate the sound but gives you a perfect space to record vocals and other instruments. hope this helps

blessings

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search