The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Solina String Ensemble - Expression Pedal? Also voicing issue? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5th June 2016
Solina String Ensemble - Expression Pedal? Also voicing issue?

Hello I'm trying to find some info on the Solina String Ensemble. I bought this recently and it works fine - I'm just wondering if anyone knows what type of expression pedal to use with it?

I did some research and someone suggested it has a "connection for a proprietary expression pedal. The pedal is of the type with a light bulb and a photo resistor. Don't connect a standard keyboard expression pedal for you might damage your ensemble by doing so."

The Schematic on page 7 shows an optical pedal with 20volt supply - someone online suggested this voltage came from the Solina itself so I'm weary of using a passive unit in case I blow some components!

Can anyone suggest where to find one of these or if they use another type of pedal with theirs? I guess it would be fairly easy to build one.. Also I assume this just controls the volume?

Lastly when I use the horn and trumpet voices together, the trumpet doesn't sound. Is that just a feature of the circuit design?

Thanks!
Old 6th June 2016
Expression pedals didn't arrive on the scene until the 1980's midi keyboards happened. Prior to that you had volume pedals, or swell pedals as they were often called, and the best ones used optical to avoid the scratchy pot problems. I would suggest that you simply get a volume pedal and use that. Morley made optical ones with leds. EHX makes a new one with an accelerometer that won't wear out. There are plenty of pot based ones.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search