The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RADAR
Old 17th October 2016
Here for the gear

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Hi Troy, welcome to Gearslutz

Interesting consoles. Are you planning to use one for mixdown from RADAR? Are you using RADAR audio cards or just AES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitygain1 View Post
I've been using the RADAR V with much success the last few years and have now decided to upgrade to the RADAR STUDIO ($5800 with the options I chose) as opposed to upgrading my mac DAW machine ($4000 ++??) which is getting long in the tooth...

Previous Setup:
- Tracking through a few outboard pre's and the onboard pre's on an Allen & Heath GS-R24M console (I love that little desk by the way!!)
- Direct outs of console into the Radar V (3x 8pr TRS -> DSUB)
- Poor man's monitoring back through the line inputs of the console (no bueno!)
- FTP out of RADAR V into the DAW for editing
- Firewire out of DAW into the GS-R24M Firewire I/O card for DAW automation control/mixing + ability to insert outboard processing on the console
- Master bus through outboard inserts and print to RADAR V ch 23 & 24.

The New Setup will be similar with a few changes:
- Tracking through a few outboard pre's and the onboard pre's on an Allen & Heath GS-R24M console
- Direct outs of console via GS-R24M Analog Card (32x32 I/O on DSUB's) to 96pt TT halfnormalled patchbay to RADAR STUDIO (more outboard options to patch)
- Edit in Workstation mode
- Analog outs of RADAR STUDIO into the patchbay and back to the analog card in the console along with midi for automation, etc.
- Mixdown through the console with outboard options
- Master bus through outboard inserts and print to RADAR STUDIO
- DAW Mastering in Workstation Mode.

I removed my 3x Ultra-Nyquist cards, Adrenaline Card and Sync I/O from the RADAR V and sent them back to iZ last week so they could be installed into the new RADAR STUDIO rig. I already own the session controller and I'm also looking at getting a large touch screen to speed up editing even more, so I opted for the non-transport/non-touchscreen version of the RS. I'm really excited to have all this power in one box, simplify the setup, and not have to do the dance with FTP and multiple conversions etc.

So what about the other cards and parts such as Mother board case drives and so on.. I just got me 24 in and it has damaged to the parts your not utilizing!!!
Old 17th October 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonk View Post
Yep, Radar 24 here too.

I mix and work ITB in Logic, so I use the Radar purely for tracking drums/basic tracks (I record directly to Radar via racks of mostly 500 series pres, and just monitor through an A&H Qu-24 I bought for that specific purpose - it's actually a pretty portable setup which comes in handy!) and then I simply dump via FTP into Logic for subsequent editing/overdubs/mixing.

Bought mine secondhand off a Gearslutz member a few years ago, and it's probably the best purchase I've ever made. Absolutely love it!

Exactly how is it hooked up to the Qu for monitoring.. I have the same stuff
Old 18th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy@TLDI AUDIO View Post
So what about the other cards and parts such as Mother board case drives and so on.. I just got me 24 in and it has damaged to the parts your not utilizing!!!
You actually only need to send in your Sync card and Adrenaline card to IZ and they'll give you a $500 credit towards a new Radar Studio. You then can re-use the 24's converter cards in the new Radar studio, so you would only need to order a Radar Studio + Core Kit.

If your Radar 24 runs sometimes, but freezes or takes a few startups to fully boot, my guess would be some of the motherboard caps have gone bad. This is a common problem with the motherboard in the 24's. IZ has replacement boards for around $500 if I remember correctly, but I opted to just recap the board myself($10 in parts). You can look at the motherboard and see if you spot any leaking or bulging caps on the board. It's usually the ones surrounding the CPU that go first.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

so just as an update i did get the radar up and functional was cmos settings that were fffing it up,,
I am in the process of purchasing 56-channels of AMEK BIG in 2 - 28 frames both of which have a side mounted rack/patch bay..
yes yes i am fully aware of the AMEK situation,, they are going to get modified ...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Radar 24 has stopped syncing as slave or master via mtc with pro tools. Have swapped out cables. Anyone experience this?
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy@TLDI AUDIO View Post
I just got the Radar 24 in its a disaster,, nothing works,, freezing up ,,WTH.. US Customs Opened the box opened the case pulled all the cards out just stuck them back in ,, so it traveled here getting slammed around and now doesn't work.. I put it back together changed out some cable's and maxed the ram ,, it worked for around 3hrs,, when I fired it up today it just sucks worse than before..
send it to iZ and have them upgrade it to a Radar Studio Frame, you will be much happier
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Sure but looking for a solution in the meantime. Seeing if anyone has experienced mtc sync issue with PT and if/what the remedy was.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1073 View Post
Radar 24 has stopped syncing as slave or master via mtc with pro tools. Have swapped out cables. Anyone experience this?
Any software updates prior to problem?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

I have not updated the software but I did have to replace the battery. I am wondering if perhaps one of the cards was not seated properly? I would imagine I would have much bigger problems though if that were the case.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
I have not updated the software but I did have to replace the battery. I am wondering if perhaps one of the cards was not seated properly? I would imagine I would have much bigger problems though if that were the case.
Did the MTC work properly with the old battery before you replaced it?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Yes
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Yes
Is it worth checking to see if the system works OK with the old battery?
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Yes
Did you also restore the correct bios settings after the battery change? You can get the settings for whatever motherboard you have here: Documents - iZ Technology

Not sure it would affect the MTC output, but worth checking anyways.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Excellent advice! Will try that. does radar 24 prefer to be master or slave mtc? If I remember correctly it will not do both
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Excellent advice! Will try that. does radar 24 prefer to be master or slave mtc? If I remember correctly it will not do both
It would be best if Radar is master as MTC isn't a very stable clock to slave to, but you can do it either way if needed.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

For some reason I remember the radar 24 could only slave or master mtc but not both. Will test it out
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search