The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting that 'vintage' sampled sound. Yes, again. Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 25th May 2016
Getting that 'vintage' sampled sound. Yes, again.

I realize this question has been asked a thousand times, the problem is I can't find a proper answer.

For example, a guy who goes by the name Frank Dukes has a website called Kingsway Library. Original compositions, but they all sound vintage, as if they were sampled off of old vinyl records. Link: https://soundcloud.com/kingsway-music-library

EQ / Distortion / Filtering do not cut it. Yeah, they get *closer* to that sound vs. a super crisp clean signal, but it's not the same. The only thing Izotope's Vinyl does ontop of that is add the pitch warbly-ness... again, closer than just EQ/distortion/filtering... still not that close though. Speakerphone 2 seems to be more of a megaphone/telephone filter type of sound, but I've only heard online examples and I'm not going to pay that much money for a plugin without a demo.

I've read some people mention recording through specific gear. I'm assuming at the moment, there is no in-the-box plugin to do this. So, could someone specifically name a recording chain that they think would achieve this sound?

(Oh the other thing I keep reading in these threads is "just hire good musicians, it's all the playing...". I'm sorry... it's not just that. Yeah, the musicianship is amazing on a lot of old records, but if you recorded those same musicians playing those same parts on modern recording equipment, it wouldn't have that 'vintage' sound.)
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

Well, you may allready know it and you may not like the answer but it looks like they simply cut no corners at all to get this sound:

Quote:
All Kingsway Music Library samples are recorded to 1 inch tape at 30 IPS, using an array of rare vintage gear and instruments...

The Kingsway Music Library was composed and created using top notch studio musicians recorded through NEVE or NEVE equivalent pre-amps and mic'd using vintage mics (some of which are worth upwards of $20k). The recording and equipment used to create this unique music library is also the same equipment used on classic 60's psych, prog rock, and soul...
Sorry if this doesn´t help you a lot
Old 2nd June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
Well, you may allready know it and you may not like the answer but it looks like they simply cut no corners at all to get this sound:

Sorry if this doesn´t help you a lot
Right... from everything I've read, it doesn't sound like it's possible with a plugin. But the description on the website is extremely vague in explaining what gear would be needed. I'm not very knowledgable about vintage gear and was hoping someone could explain a specific chain that would achieve this sound.

Last edited by maxiedaniels; 3rd June 2016 at 12:19 AM..
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Maniac

If you search around for Nick Waterhouse there are a couple interviews with him talking about the gear he's used. Here's one for example:Nick Waterhouse's retro-infused records are blazing the trail for modern mono | Digital Trends

I also had a bit of luck once running my mix thru my guitar amp, recording that, and blending it back in. Wasn't as good as the real deal but it gave the whole thing a bit of that feel i was looking for.
Old 3rd June 2016
If you have an old tape deck collecting dust somewhere maybe now it's time to get it out. For a more hi-fi variant, you could use any two-channel transformer based preamp to run the whole mix through - multiple times until it sounds "vintage" enough for you. Often times that already helps a lot to get the "modern" harshness out of the mix. The vintage mice, well, you can't really emulate them, your best bet is trying some EQ settings until you come close, or use some IRs.
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear

I haven't used this library but is it possible they may have made dub plates of the samples, reamped and re-recorded them? If there is vinyl crackle the only way to do it is with a plugin or the real thing. This way they could even have used an 80s boombox or something for playback to get a vintage sound. Vinyl > boombox > 20k mic > Neve preamp would sound wicked!

Cheers
Old 3rd June 2016
Gear Maniac

I got great results from
-making a list of some drum breaks I like the feel of, and hiring a drummer friend to jam on those feels for a few minutes apiece
-booking a couple hours in a studio to record it with tube/ribbon mics and outboard - you should be able to get a half-day for a good price
-mixing it down to stereo as if I was
making a really nice record, with UAD Studers on all channels, plenty of compression, a splash of UAD EMT plate or BX20, UAD Ampex & Massive Passive on the master
-running the stereo WAV thru Izotope Vinyl and rebouncing
-cut up your loop - by doing it at
this stage, the decays will cut off abruptly at the loop point which makes it seems more like a sample
-either running the WAV thru the SP12 sim in Plogue chipcrusher or loading it up into TAL Sampler

the thought was to emulate degradations of each stage of the entire process, including the 12-bit DACs, and I was really happy with the end result.
Old 6th June 2016
I have an original u47 but I've never thought of the sound as "vintage"... Will the 47 work if I play with recording onto tape / old preamps? Or should I be using a different mic?
Old 6th June 2016
Gear Addict
You kinda have to start with drums that sound that way, and a player that plays that way.

Note that the drums don't have the modern high/low-frequency content that we consider in "modern" music.

Maybe check out what Questlove is doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PXvgLpL60g

I don't think drummers back then played as HARD as they do today. Back then when stuff was recorded, it was recorded all together which mean that bleed was a bit of a concern. Often you wouldn't get mics on every element of the drum (kick, snare, each tom, hats, ride, OH's etc).

I'd consider a "dead" room too.
Old 7th June 2016
Gear Maniac

You will have experiment with creating your own plugin chain to emulate the vintage sound. Doesnt have to be the same, or same order, as done back then. But I would go for colourful eq's and compressors, distortion plugins (decapitator), tape and console emus, and bitcrushers. You could easy end up with a chain of 5-10 plugins, each doing just a little bit of colouring.
And regards to the actual drums and playing. For the more open 60s sound, tune higher, dont mic to close, use fewer mics, and play more lightly.
For the 70s drier, thud'ier sound, mic closer, use thicker heads, more muffling, take off bottom/front skin heads.
Old 11th June 2018
Lives for gear

so whatever did you do Maxie?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search