The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new or used patchbay? Studio Headphones
Old 26th January 2004
Gear Nut

new or used patchbay?

Im finally setting all my equipment through a patchbay. (db-25's -converters, outboard compressors, efx's, etc.) Im looking at 96 pt.TT (solder back)
probably. It looks like i could save a ton of $ finding a used one that is close to the configuration i want with all the cables.
Now is buying a used patchbay already wired up a risky purchace? Do good quality bays crakle after time and can they be cleaned well.
I have and will be investing in alot of outboard gear and wont stand for a problematic patch and wiring system.

So my question is do i bite the bullet ($$$$$) and buy a new patchbay and good wire and all the conectors and hand wire the thing........or
buy a used one with wires close to what i want and fix the rest?
- Good/Bad experiences?

Also..... is #26 gauge wire for line level (back of patchbay) the standard, or is #22 or #24 that much better.
Thank You,
Old 26th January 2004
Lives for gear

I did a patchbay install for someone a while back and found a guy back east that called himself "mr. patchbay" Run a search online and you'll find his site. HE's got new and used bays at nice prices. We bought (4) 96 pt TT bays that were used from him. Aside for a mix-up on his part for a custom 1/2 normalled 1/2 de-normalled bay everything worked out ok. The guy seems kinda weird if you call him so just be very clear on what you want done..

As for the cable question... On this last install my costomer used all Mogami quad cable for everything! Talk about overkill in my opinion, but whatever. Buy the nicest stuff that you can afford because as you probably know "it all adds up".

Good luck with everything.
Oh, BTW we went with the ADC punch block insteed of solder to save time/money/labor $$s.
16 months and no problems. Just makes sure your cables are properly supported so they aren't trying to be yanked out

have fun/Good luck.
Eric
Old 26th January 2004
Lives for gear

I also got bays from "Mr. Patchbay." I found him a bit flakey to deal with, but I was making some special requests. Once we got it alll settled, he came through fine.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search