The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ssl mixpander workstation i/o alchemy
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Ssl mixpander workstation i/o alchemy

ANAHEIM, CA — Solid State Logic’s Mixpander is a 64-channel PCI audio interface for PCs designed to be used in conjunction with the recently launched XLogic Alpha-Link Audio Converter range. Solid State Logic will exhibit Mixpander at the 2007 Winter NAMM Show, January 18 to 21 (Booth #6905).

The combination of Mixpander and Alpha-Link makes a versatile, scalable system that enables users to configure their ideal combination of audio input and output connections for PC DAW platforms. Mixpander ships with a standalone software-based mixer that works with host PC-powered VST or DSP powered plug-ins.

Combined with the Alpha-Link converter range, Mixpander offers ultra-low latency audio monitoring with plug-in processing in place. Mixpander and Alpha-Link work with all standard PC audio applications and DAW platforms like Cubase, Nuendo and Sonar, and enable simultaneous use of multiple audio applications.

Each Mixpander PCI card provides 64 channels of I/O; up to four Mixpander cards can be used in a single PC. Each Alpha-Link rack I/O unit offers 24 channels of analogue A/D input and D/A output, and up to 64 channels of digital I/O. Up to two Alpha Link I/O can be connected to a single Mixpander. The 64 Mixpander channels are freely assignable to any available I/O connections, giving, for example, 48 analogue I/O from a single PCI card. Each Mixpander PCI card is loaded with DSP to drive processing plug-ins and comes with the '”Audio Toolbox” plug-in pack (with 4-Band Parametric EQ, Filter, Dynamics, Chorus/Flange, MS Decoder & Dither) and can be used with special release versions of a wide range of popular plug-ins from: Acuma Labs, Aphex, Arboretum, Cedar, Dolby Laboratories, Drawmer, Solid State Logic, Sonic Timeworks, Algorithmix, Synchro Arts, Spinaudio, TC Electronic, Wave Mechanics.
Attached Thumbnails
Ssl mixpander workstation i/o alchemy-mixpander.jpg  
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

My only question is WHY IS SSL PC ONLY?
Old 9th February 2007
Solid State Logic

Because we launched Duende first for Mac heh

Joke.......btw
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Because Soundscape was PC only so far.

You can hook up two Iboxes on one Mixpander?
I am very suprised about that! I work with my Mixpander card daily and I can't imagine how you could connect two IBoxes? You can of course daisychain them via Madi, is that what you mean? Then we can connect 15 of them if you want.
Old 9th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by arimaka View Post
My only question is WHY IS SSL PC ONLY?
Maybe they're still working on a PCIe version. After all, PCI has been around for a lot longer.
Old 9th February 2007
Solid State Logic

Yup, chain via MADI
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Nut

I'm thinkng of getting one of these converters first it's because of the 24 channels and the second reason is realy stupid I've just realised it's because of the name ssl.
So I'm dropping the second reason to get one now and I need a new second reason.
The only one I can think of is how it sounds and how it sounds compared to other converters.
Is it in the same league as RME or does it sound much better maybe like an apogee or aurora.
Come to think about it I already got an other reason the price it's really nicely priced!
But I'd still like to know how it sounds are there already some independent tests of this unit where it's being tested against other converters.

I've got a question for [email protected] : Are the AD converters in there the same as in some of your digital consoles and if or are these just in an other league? I know the all the digital is from the belgian company but are the rest of the parts the same as in the digital ssl consoles?
I think in the end i just have to see if I can use one for a week and judge for myself what it sounds like. But any extra info you can give me to make me buy this unit is welcome heh
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Jim...

sorry... my jaw actually fell open...

coll f***ing thing....

i want one...

does it have asio and wdm drivers? gsif?

that seems like what i would want in a device like that...

what kind of latency are we talking about?

and what kind of street price are we to expect?
Old 10th February 2007
Solid State Logic

No, the converters are not the same as the digital consoles. The units are based on the Soundscape iBoxes, but we have re-engineered the ADDA boards and changed the ADDA chip.

The mixpander has an ASIO driver, and nice low latency as such...
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

...and it also has WDM and Gigasampler drivers.

But since you've got 64 streams from any native applications you can also give Cubase 40 channels, Wavelab 2 channels, Media Player 2 channels.....
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Because we launched Duende first for Mac heh

Joke.......btw
Nice on Jim!
But seriously is there ANY chance that you will release core audio drivers for these new units? I am pretty sure there are lots of Logic and DP users that need a good 24 I/O setup and these products look GREAT.

Thanks
Manuel
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

I think it's not that easy.
The Mixpander has nothing to do with SSL. It's a Soundscape product. Sydec (Soundscape) have never done anything for MacOS. I'm sure SSL will force them go the MAC route as well, but that will take some time.
If not, please corect me Jim!
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

another thing that i would be curious about is will there be ssl plugins for the mixpander, if so which ones? the duende drum channel for example would be a good addition...
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

There's already a SSL EQ:
http://www.sydec.be/Products/Details...Q+and+Filters/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search