The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams, what gear do you like?
Old 15th April 2010
Gear Addict

Nice to hear Jim mixes through a analog desk with outboard. Thats where its at! So much better that mixing ITB with pluginns. Real music only sounds the way it should on a board.

If I didn't live in Australia I'd have Jim spec out my old Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24/8/2. I'd like to do it my self if only I knew what to replace..
Old 24th April 2010
Gear Addict
How does the upgraded Reflex compare to the upgraded LXP-1 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
As with most other reverbs than Bricasti, they work best when the hf bandwidth is reduced. Same with the Lexy's. I don't hear any resonance with the Reflex. I hear resonance with my LXP-15 when I compare them. The Reflex is closer to the source. I also have a Alex but that is colored reverb like Lexicon is known.

I use a LXP-1 with my guitar rig as it interfaced well into the Basson Sound BGA1 head. That gives me that Pink Floyd drip live.

How do you learn this stuff? Read, study and solder. Rinse and repeat.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jasper View Post
I got to meet John Denver in person at the Pasadena Ice House in 1977. Little known fact about John Denver -- he could probably kick your ass. John Denver was a studly dude in person and he didn't smile once. Very unlike his onstage image. Definitely a muscular, mountain man type. Really surreal.

Sorry to digress, but I still have nightmares about the guy.

Jasper
Jasp,

You're not the only one. Nearly any longtime CO resident can tell interesting tales about JD. Couple of my friends spent time knocking about Summit county bars with John, and often as not, bailing him out of various scrapes. Apparently he liked to pick fights when he'd been drinking, and he wasn't shy about backing up talk with his fists.

Sunshine on my shoulders / makes me angry...
Old 8th April 2011
I usually hit you up with these sort of questions via e-mail but I thought others might want to know...

How you come across an stereo compressor that you've been impressed with? I'd like to track something down to use for a drum buss on rock/pop stuff, piano, and background vocals.
Old 22nd October 2015
Gear Head

Why so many messages deleted?
Old 22nd October 2015
Gear Head
True-I was looking forward to jims opinions-learnt nothing
Old 22nd October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenwok View Post
True-I was looking forward to jims opinions-learnt nothing
yep, it looks like Jim decided to take his ball home a long time ago!!!
Old 22nd October 2015
Village Idiot

Modded thread..

Cleaner now.

Gustav
Old 22nd October 2015
I've got a pair of MXL770's with the Jim Williams RK12 mod (microphoneparts.com) and I have to say they are beautiful mics...very clean with a lovely smooth top-end...lots of detail.
It's kinda cool that these types of mods are available for everyone on a budget.
Old 22nd October 2015
Had a straight ahead jazz session here yesterday recording my Bro and Sis in law, Les Arbuckle and Joyce Lucia. I used modifed AKG 414 B-ULS on acoustic bass and tenor sax. Transformerless AKG 460B's on drums with an RE-20 on kick. The Nord keys were DI'ed using my Jensen loaded DI boxes. Joyce (ex Berkley voice professor) sang live in the room with my C-12 clone, sort of done 1950's style. No one used cans, except for Joyce. Keys had an amp as did bass for monitoring.

All mic preamps were Audio Upgrades High Speed mic preamps, no compression nor EQ used. I will add some comp on voice for mixing and some Bricasti M7 reverb to accent my natural room sound. It will be mixed analog on my Soundcraft console feeding custom built Burrbrown PCM4222 ADC's. Nothing beats acoustic jazz recording in the same room at the same time, very cohesive sounding. There was a reason Frank Sinatra did it this way, it works.
Old 22nd October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Had a straight ahead jazz session here yesterday...
Looking forward to hearing a sample when you post it.

For the last year or so, I've been doing a live radio show that is quite often "too many musicians in too small a space" and I'm just now feeling like I'm starting to get a handle on it. Tenor and vocal (on a not-very-directional LCD) in close proximity sounds like a challenge. Love to hear how you handled it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search