The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams, what gear do you like?
Old 10th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Adcom ... interesting are you talking in a pro live or recording context ? I have seen Adcom in the consumer stereo and Home theater market. but there you have the likes of Boulder , Krell, Classe', Mondial or its price point line Acurus (which I like.) But I also like Martin Logan and Magna Pan Spks...... BTW I'm not being argumentative. I used to sell High Fi so i am just curious. thanks .Kev
the best NS-10's amp ever, thanks Jim !
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Anyone who plays through a Showman is a friend of mine, but I'd like to know a little more about those hum-cancelling preamps in the guitars...to heck with mics and mixers, -that's- something I could really use....

lp
Thats a great screen name!

Quote from this thread https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/58687-telecaster.html

"Part of the tele lure is the sonics from the original pickups. Changing them is like replacing the capsule on a capacitor mic with one from another maker. Not the same mic anymore.

I use all original pickups in my tele's. No replacements have the bandwidth and pop that the original pickups have. Most replacements are adding turns of wire or heavier magnetic loads in order to increase output. My Teles all have active circuit preamps so level is not an issue with these nor is loading from volume pots, tone controls, guitar cables, etc. I've overcome noise issues by completely shielding the coils and innards. That took care of hf buzz and string grounding issues. I can take my hands off the instument and it's quiet. Pickups are mounted with latex tubing to damp resonances, all metal springs are removed. This way I can crank up the Basson 120 head to full without any squeals or feedback until I release a string.

For hum issues I designed a circuit that is fed from a dummy coil I mount between the 2 pickups. It uses phase cancellation to tune the hum harmonics out electronically. My sunburst tele custom measures -80 db noise on the Audio Precision analyzer. It's dead quiet, less noise than many humbuckers cause I can tune it out precisely via trimpot.

I have original tone, output levels that can melt amps, and no noise.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades"
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi Jim!

Could there be any sense to modified this cheap mic? -> http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/h...id=1750&lang=0
Is this familiar for you?

aapee
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The tracks sound pretty good but this ITB mixing sucks big time. No depth, nothing behind the speakers. I know this thing will jump out at me as soon as it's routed into the analog console. Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Ahhh, you must be monitoring from a 001. Well...even then you should be fine. Who knows?

Geez...
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Jim,

were you the person responsible for Stevie Wonder loving B&k Measurement mikes for vocals?
Old 10th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Jim,
I was curious what kinda gear you do like? I've seen you rant about a lot of gear I thought sounded good. What is build well? What passes your "scrutiny"?
It will certainly have magical, unmeasurable properties that will make it just sound better...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...90#post1021690
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Is it me, or are Slipperman's posts even more pithy than before?

Jasper
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Jim,

while you're here...

If you know them, what do you think of the AKG C414 B-TL (not TL-II), as opposed to the B-ULS...? Anything you'd do to modify those?

Daniel
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

His opinion of the new 414s isn't exactly positive, as he's posted elsewhere in this forum... But the B-TL is fairly special and rare, it's like the B-ULS, but transformerless. It was succeeded by the TL II, with a different capsule (and a treble boost). Since Jim's mod to the B-ULS includes removing the transformer, I wonder what he'd do to the TL...

Daniel
Old 11th February 2007
DRC
Lives for gear
Quote:

The entire studio is free of transformers except for the 224XL and the Gates Solid Statesman. Even the mics have their transformers removed. I do have some Jensens around for that sound, but I usually prefer no nickel/iron in the sound.
You removed the trannys from the Neves? And from the Fenders? I didnt know you could have a tube amp without transformers? Im surprised not to see any GML gear on your list. It would seem you and George seem to have the same tonal philosophy.
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

A book would be cool

"This is why the new crop doesn't impress. I've worked with some of the best ever so I'm just a bit spoiled. Maybe I should write a book about all this stuff, before I start to forget it."

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

I think a book would be great . I've been meaning to read Laurel Canyon by Michael Walker, about the California music seen in the 60s
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Guru

I understand Jim's views perfectly.

Live Bands recording LIVE music, go figure!

I've seen Jimi 3 times, Once at the Washington Hilton and twice
at the Baltimore Civic Center.

And the following at the Alexandria Roller Rink

Jeff Beck w/Rod Stuart opening for Janis Joplin
Yes opening for Jethro Tull
Alice Cooper and Edgar Winter's White Trash
Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath
Canned Heat, Ultimate Spinach and Vanilla Fudge

RFK Stadium
Stones with Martha and the Vandells
Greatful Dead and the complete Allman Bros.
Grand Funk Railroad
Aerosmith
Bad Company

In Largo Md.

Wings
Elton John
Slade REO and Aerosmith
The Who Quadrophenia
David Bowie
The Stones
Pink Floyd

All of these starting in '68

Also Bob Seger System, Mountain, ELP, King Crimson, N.Y. Dolls, Foghat,
Heart, Chuck Berry, The Chambers Brothers, B.B. King, Beach Boys,
Roger Daltry w/ full orchestra, Tom Petty and George Harrison's
The Concert For Bangledesh (Both Shows)

I have a lot of great memories, thanks Jim for your contribution.
Old 11th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Yes opening for Jethro Tull

mustuh bin killer
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Jim, I was wondering what do u do for the XR recorder as far as upgrades, i was planning was sending my XR this month to get modded. Do u have different options for the upgrade? Thanks for any reply
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:

Back then, I got to see and hang with some of the legends. I was in a blues band in high school with Richard Hite, the brother of Bob Hite, the "bear" in Canned Heat. I got to hang out a lot with those guys, Alan Wilson was a great slide guitar player and showed me stuff. We would play old blues 78's until late at night. I got the best blues education you could get. While painting Bob's Topanga Canyon house in the summer of '69 lots of cool cats would come by. I smoked pot with Donovan. I saw him a couple of weeks ago at a Kodac theater show with David Lynch and he remembered me.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
That is just about the most awesome thing I've heard in a while!
I absolutely love Canned Heat, and Bob Hite is not only my hero, but one of the most magical mysterious dudes ever!
His voice and take on the Electric Country Blues or (boogie woogie as they called it) is just too cool-
The Ironic thing for me is my dad's name is Alan Wilson, so my buddies joke and call me "son of canned heat"
I live in Laurel Cyn, but I used to live in Topanga, and a lot of my friends do now, the Canned Heat vibe still lives there, long live the Corral!!!

Jim, also if you read this, I notice you dig the Solid Statesman compressors, I have one also, do you mod those, or use them stock????

BTW, guys, Jim modded my Plate Reverb recently and it sounds incredible, it's an EcoPlate 2 that now rivals any EMT---It's in use all the time, every track done here, we just used it on Chris Robinson and not sparingly!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by fivestarstudios; 11th February 2007 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
mustuh bin killer

Oh indeed! The Yes Album tour supporting the Aqualung tour!

Canned Heat was with B.B. King at the Roller Rink.

Alice Cooper and Edgar Winter back stage there just hangin like normal dudes sharing a bowl of hash with me, was kinda memorable.

And it was The Stones with Stevie Wonder and Martha and the Vandells at RFK.

I forgot Genesis, Rush, Cheap Trick, Leon Russell, Chicago, Three Dog Night other places and another earlier show with Rod Stewart and The Faces at Shady Grove.
They were Soooo drunk, they missed the first plane blowing the early show and barely made it in time for the second show.

After the show their limo followed me to Dulles Intnl. Airport because they needed to get there fast. Ron Wood was still drinking a tag along bottle in the departure lounge.
They may not remeber me, but they might remember my '67 Datsun Roadster haulin' ass down the Dulles Access Road. Nah they were too drunk.
Old 11th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Oh indeed! The Yes Album tour supporting the Aqualung tour!

Canned Heat was with B.B. King at the Roller Rink.

Alice Cooper and Edgar Winter back stage their just hangin like normal dudes sharing a bowl of hash with me, was kinda memorable.

And it was The Stones with Stevie Wonder and Martha and the Vandells at RFK.

I forgot Genesis, Rush, Cheap Trick, Leon Russell, Chicago, Three Dog Night other places and another earlier show with Rod Stewart and The Faces at Shady Grove.
They were Soooo drunk, they missed the first plane blowing the early show and barely made it in time for the second show.

After the show their limo followed me to Dulles Intnl. Airport because they needed to get their fast. Ron Wood was still drinking a tag along bottle in the departure lounge.
They may not remeber me, but they might remember my '67 Datsun Roadster haulin' ass down the Dulles Access Road. Nah they were too drunk.
The Yes Album is one of my all time favorites. That was some AMAZING music.
Sounds like loads of fun, and tons of great memories. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11th February 2007

I knew this thread would go at least 50 posts....
Old 11th February 2007

better watch out, Tony, or Jim'll modify your website when you're not looking heh

Old 11th February 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

better watch out, Tony, or Jim'll modify your website when you're not looking heh

heh
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Guru

Jim,

You mentioned a few of your favorite amps, but I'm wondering what I should look for in something off the shelf, so to speak.

A local guy has offered to re-build my 90's Blues Deluxe, Reverb, Tweed re-issue.

His plan was to gut the chassis and replace the components with all American
hand wired point to point parts. He quoted me $1,200.00 including reverb.

I could buy another new repro for $600.00 or go for something else.

I really like the idea of the Devided by 13's being able to run them at 1/2 power Class A. but that's talking at least $2,500.00

The Mesa Lonestar Special is very nice, but not really powerful enough for bass.

I need a portable combo amp that will be great for guitar and acceptable for a bass
rehearsal/recording amp.

I prefer the cleaner chime of Fenders to the Marshall sound.
I wish I could hear the Devided by 13's locally.

A 2X12 cabinet should do fine if I go for a separate amp head.
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The guitars are all active with custom EQ/electronics and the Telecasters have a hum cancel preamp that removes hum while allowing the use of the original pickups.
Gak. You spec everything out so it's as clean and neutral/natural as possible, but you turn your guitars into active machines? Might was well be playing MIDI flute.
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedarling View Post
I think he likes anything......wait for it.......THAT'S NOT FRENCH !!!

i kid. (kind of)

dd
Who is this Jim williams ? heh
Old 11th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ooooh, the Corral! I still look at that empty dirt lot everytime I go up the canyon.
As Cream said, "Those were the Days". Saw them at Cal State Northridge in early '68 in the basketball court for $3.50. Imagine a 16 year old kid standing at the foot of the stage watching Clapton from 5 feet away. I was impressed.

Saw Tull a couple of times, once in the Arena at Anaheim, the end unit of the Namm show now. They did the Aqualung tour and I had an upclose seat. I did take super 8mm film of it as I also did that at the Hendrix/Vanilla Fudge show at the Hollywood bowl in Oct. 68. I'm still looking through the boxes here to try and find it. Seeing 100 hippies swimming in the reflecting pool in front of Hendrix was unforgettable. Imagine a water ballet with Hendrix doing the sound track.

Then there are all those Zappa shows....

Ahh, "The Days of Lines and Noses".

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Those were some incredible years I lived outside of Portland Ore. Don't know if any one here was there ??? But there was a Rock Festival called Bull Frog Lake, by Oregon City, the stage was built out over the lake which was man made and had a gentle slope lawn shore. One of the big communes either the Crow Family or the Rainbow had one or two wooden kegs of pumpkin seed mescaline the were handing out... the weather was a hot summer night, By the time the Jefferson Airplane came on. there was almost an orgy happening in lake and on the shore. I saw several Grateful Dead gigs at I think it was called Springers Ballroom it was a old grange hall out by Gresham low ceiling pot smoke filled they had Quicksilver open up for them
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Question for Jim -
I'd like to buy a console (32x8) and have it modded by you.
What are your fav consoles to do mods on???
Which turn out the best???
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not what you think. Consider the sound coming off the guitar pickup. That's the sound I want to hear, before it's filtered through the volume/tone controls and the cable. It's a sound with a clear and present top end, a crisp pick attack with tons of power behind it. The output level is typically 10~15 db higher than a passive pickup. I use a 10k audio Bourns conductive plastic volume control that retains the same tone at 2 as on 10. The boxy overtones commonly heard with passive guitars is gone. No, I don't just play clean but also dirty. These guitars cut through without the piercing top end heard when the amp treble is boosted with passive guitars. They just sound bigger and fuller, smoother and more musical.

Been doing active guitar electronics since 1971, I can't go back as passive guitars don't respond to the touch like the active one's do. I don't mean the crap you see offered in the market, cheap electronics that do more damage than good. These are top end designs with the best parts done with the same attention to the details as the recording gear gets.

They also drive headphones which is fun to practice with.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Do you offer this mod on tele's ? Don't see it on your site.

If so, how much ? And which tele's do you prefer ?

Cheers,

Nathan
Old 12th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by edham View Post
Question for Jim -
I'd like to buy a console (32x8) and have it modded by you.
What are your fav consoles to do mods on???
Which turn out the best???
Favorites include newer Soundcrafts like Delta's, 6000's, Sapphires, etc. D+R is also very good. SSL's can be made to sing. Some tridents, MCI's can sound good. I like the first 3 as they offer the best stereo crosstalk or imaging.

Consider a Soundcraft Delta 8 32x8, seems that would fit your bill. A bit hard to find so a 6000 with 16 or 24 busses is also a good choice and affordable now.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 12th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonIrl View Post
Do you offer this mod on tele's ? Don't see it on your site.

If so, how much ? And which tele's do you prefer ?

Cheers,

Nathan
I don't advertise this stuff as it's esoteric and unusual. I mostly do them for myself. PM me for details on these.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 17th February 2007
Here for the gear

D&R

Quote:
Favorites include newer Soundcrafts like Delta's, 6000's, Sapphires, etc. D+R is also very good...I like the first 3 as they offer the best stereo crosstalk or imaging.
Jim,

Do you mod D&R desks as well? Those are supposed to be uber clean desks to begin with. What do you do to them and what improvements are you able to achieve?

I've only found statements describing the D&R crosstalk as "less than -90dBr" (without specifying at what frequency). What's your measurement? I'm curious as to how it compares with the Soundcrafts' (which I believe you've measured as -90dB @ 10K hz)?

Cheers.
Old 13th March 2007
DRC
Lives for gear
Quote:
Favorites include newer Soundcrafts like Delta's, 6000's, Sapphires, etc. D+R is also very good. SSL's can be made to sing. Some tridents, MCI's can sound good. I like the first 3 as they offer the best stereo crosstalk or imaging.

Consider a Soundcraft Delta 8 32x8, seems that would fit your bill. A bit hard to find so a 6000 with 16 or 24 busses is also a good choice and affordable now.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim how much difference is there between the Deltas, Sappires and such compared to the new GB & MH series consoles? Would you say the crosstalk and imaging is close if not better on the new models? Would the Midas Verona or Heritage 2000's perform in a similar manner or is the Midas design a whole different ball of wax?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search