The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A/D Signal Loss VS Tracking with Comps/EQ's--What's worse?
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

A/D Signal Loss VS Tracking with Comps/EQ's--What's worse?

Here's my problem:

Everyone (not everyone; I know) seems pretty sure that tracking drums with little or no comp/eq is the way to go. I understand that this should save us from tracking into a corner of crap.

My issue is that I'm using a MOTU 24 I/O and everyone warns about signal loss when going OTB into comps eq's and then back ITB.

How many times can I go out (drum buss, 2 bus, snare bus etc etc) without it starting to sound like I tracked on my old Behringer board? I'm guessing I should always use the original signal if I'm building busses...yes?

I'm trying to follow the general guidelines, but this is leaving me a bit stumped.

What's my best bet?
BTW; I'm very close to out of money, so buying a 16 channel I/O for 5K isn't an option right now.

Thanks again,
--Rich
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

ah well.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'm sure most people using DAWS are using eq plugins for this very reason. Your external eq would have to be very nice to justify the extra conversion - and ideally you would use some equally nice A/D and D/A.

Why not live a little and commit to some analog eq during tracking?
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

I will

I'll have some ok compressors in a week or two, (2 DBX 160X, 2 FMR RNC's) so it's about that more than anything.
The only 2 pre's that I have with eq's are my 2 Chameleon Labs 7602's. I love the eq on it and have used for all overdubs and kick and snare on drums. However, that's as far as eq's will go for me.
I'm rounding out my pre's with 8 Seventh Circle kits. These don't have eq's, so I won't have that option during tracking aside from Kick and Snare.
Just wondering what everyone's experience is with this. I guess I'm wondering how much you lose. I guess I could just run a guitar out and record it back in. I could then go L and R to listen. I'll play around and report back sometime.

Thanks.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

I wonder the same thing about signal loss . I'm using an 002 so for me I'm pretty sure its best to stay ITB . I'd like to compare some time too , cause I want to get a distressor , 550 & 560 EQs . I figured once I do get some good outboard gear I'd track with it going in .
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

The actual loss is minimal - just do it.

If it makes you feel any better, think about the severe loss in quality when bouncing from analog tape. It didn't stop good engineers from doing it.

I'm usually torn between the desire to keep everything perfect and avoiding unnecessary stages - and the desire to fekk everything up with everything I have. It depends on whatever the track calls for, and how you are feeling at the time.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

thanks.

strangely enough, it does make me feel a bit better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search