The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apogee Mini-Me
Old 11th October 2002
Bernard 
Apogee Mini-Me

Recently read Fletchers glowing review of this unit and am seriously thinking of trading my rosetta on one. I can't figure out how there can be only a few hundred dollars difference in the price of these units. What am I missing? Are Mini- me's converters different quality than the rosetta's? Anyone had experience with one?
Old 14th October 2002
Hey, where did you read this review? I believe the Mini-me is a entry-level unit, where it has converters below Rosetta's and pres below Trak2's...
Old 14th October 2002
Old 14th October 2002
Gearslutz webmistress Meg lee Chin http:www.megleechin.com was a beta tester for the MiniMe but WOULDN'T TELL ME A DAMN THING!

I wonder if she can talk about it now? Her 2 month US tour just ended... Let her catch her breath then perhaps we can ask her... (If she is allowed) She was using it on the road with her PC laptop.

Old 14th October 2002
So after 1.453.404.349 subscriptions, the winner is....
Jules... he was choosen to ask Mrs. Meg Lee Chin about the Mini-Me heh
Old 14th October 2002

It shall be done!
Old 14th October 2002
Cool, looking foward to it heh
Old 17th October 2002
Mindreader

hurry up

its the new metric halo vs. the mini me

I wanna see the fight so someone hurry up and use one for chrissakes!
Old 17th October 2002
Earth to Meg!

Earth to Meg!

Come in Meg!

heh
Old 23rd October 2002
Bernard 
Still Hoping

I'm still hoping Meg will respond. But I guess for now I'll just dfegad off.
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Maniac

my man and partner in crime at times alex prestin (who is new to these forums, everyone say welcome alex) - owns a mini-me, and I have had a chance to borrow it for 3 different gigs now.....

The unit comes in a pretty handy carrying case in the event that you want to tote it around with a laptop for remote or just quick sessions here and there (I can see myself wanting one for the ability to pack my powerbook, mini me, and a headphone amp and mic and be off to a vocal session).

I used the unit the first time with Alex engineering a remote recording of a jazz gig with just a pair of TLM-170s going into the mini-me for preamps and conversion, to his sony vaio - it was a backpack load out. Recording came out really well - the preamps in that thing are again very clean and have a good dynamic range. Not quite like the millenia chips that were in Apogee's ad-1000 box.

I also used the box to track vocals. The box was sitting there, and I was late for a session, vocalist was at the studio and I had nothing ready. I patched a cable into the box and then ran an AES to my rig and was all good. My one big beef with the box is that it does not have any wordclock I/O, so to lock it to another rig you must have it be the clock master via AES. This for me wasnt a problem as my MOTU rig locked to the apogee clock in a split second. Wether the clock is good enough to warrant sending it to a wordclock distro I dont know - yet I did seem pretty solid to me with my rig.

I think at times I want one of these, then I think why doesn't Dave Hill build a cranesong version of this box. I dream of a portable flamingo/HEDD unit, ahhhh....

back to the mini me - it definatly has corners cut in it's build quality and features, yet it's a pretty hip box for anyone freelancing, not really so much the guy looking for his 1st 2-track good converter for running his mixes into.
Old 23rd October 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by JayCrouch
I think at times I want one of these, then I think why doesn't Dave Hill build a cranesong version of this box. I dream of a portable flamingo/HEDD unit, ahhhh.....
Jay, they have one of these now...it fits in a convenient compact 2u rack!!
Old 23rd October 2002
Gear Addict

you might also take a look a the new Grace V3 looks pretty sweet! Could be my new recital rig.
Old 26th October 2002
Bernard 
Thanks Jay! Your insight is appreciated and helpful.
Old 26th October 2002
Meg Lee Chin 
Mini-me

I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about it yet... I did sign an nd statment after all...
Old 26th October 2002
Ohhhhh c'mon...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search